additions to hst

R.I.P.
sad.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Oct. 13 2006,20:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">By the way, nice physique in your avatar...good job, mindstar.
cool.gif
</div>
Thanks!

I grip the bar for the reason stated by LOL, but am open to trying the thumbless grip, as no benching is way worse than slightly less contracted benching.

And thanks for the tip in Calves...I'll chuck in the DC style.

I had some wrist problems for a couple of months from carpentry work. I did all d/b and barbell work with my wrists wrapped fairly tight with elastic wrap and it helped a lot. It also makes you feel stronger somehow, as I did some PR's that way! You might give it a try.

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Oct. 14 2006,08:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'd be damn careful about doing benches with a thumbless grip.  I won't do that at all.  Easy for me to say, as I can do heavy benches with no wrist problems.

However, one heavy barbell falling several feet onto your chest or neck could ruin your whole day...and all the other days that you might not have after that.</div>
Good one
biggrin.gif

An excercise you might want to try, is the Hang Jump Shrug. To see a description and short video about it go to Hang Jump Shrug
This is a compound excercise which is incorporated into the full clean and jerk motion, but done on its own it works the calves, traps, and forearms, as well as a little bit of quads.  But don't do it as fast as in the video, use some power for the positive part of the movement, hold at the top, and then control the weight on the negative. Similar to the push press.  This should allow you to handle more weight for both calves and traps than calve raises or shrugs alone, as well as give you another excercise that lets you hold a heavy barbell to help strengthen your grip and forearms.
Just an idea i thought i'd suggest.

Jon,

would you still want your feet leaving the ground then? It seems the peak contraction for the traps occurs while in the air, with the force of the landing acting against holding the contraction for any length of time.

Since your wanting to improve your calves, i would suggest keeping your feet on the ground but make sure that at the top of the movement your right up on your toes (as if you were doing standing calf raises) so you get a full contraction of the calves, and at this point you should also have a peak contraction in your traps.  This way your able to hold the full contraction of both calves and traps at the top without any impact from landing. Other than always keeping your toes on the floor, i'd do the movement as they show (using a little quad power to handle a little extra weight, but under control). Hope this helps.

Back