adpowah's training logs

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by adpowah, May 12, 2014.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

For my money, high rep work for deadlifts and squats does very little.

You could sell me on leg press and extensions for hypertrophy, but not the BB stuff at high reps.

2. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

@Jester yeah I don't disagree. When training to 500 for conventional I got a lot of benefit from a partial range of motion lift (above and below the knees) at high reps with weight comparatively extremely light (max I ever used was 225). I feel this caused a lot of stimulus for weakpoint areas. Not sure if it was just greasing the groove or if it actually created hypertrophy, basically I am going to see if I can reproduce something similar for sumo.

3. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Nothing too exciting. Been working on myo reps for upper body and diversifying my exercises. At the end of my workout I pulled 455 sumo with no belt and it went really fast, so that is encouraging.

Jester likes this.
  4. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Pulled 475 pretty commandingly. I am going to attempt 5 reps (all as singles) at 455 tonight.

Edit: I got the 5 singles, the 5th was a beast. I probably should have aimed for 3. Hopefully I will recover well with the weekend and see if I can pull 485+ on Monday.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Jester likes this.
  5. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Pulled 525 from blocks, it wasn't as heavy as 500 from blocks was about a month ago. But I think I've realized as many immediate strength gains as reasonable from the hypertrophy block, so I am going to head back to building some muscle starting next week. I find when I focus on something I can get about .5-1lb a day gains on the lift. So if I follow a similar growth pattern I should have 600 sumo close to the end of this year. We will see.

6. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Completed about 3 weeks of conditioning/high rep training and I didn't die so that was nice. Going back to heavy lifting starting tonight. Deadlift went well, pulled 445 a few times fairly casually. Bench went less good and pressed 245 for a handful of reps. All in all it felt good to lift heavy again.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  7. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Crazy how time flies...anyways the highlights were a 485 sumo, a failed 500 sumo, a 500 off of 45lb plates, and a 500 for 5 total reps off of 2 plates. I also did a little squatting and hit a very clean 315x3 and a very fast but not clean 335. Edit: And a cardio 315x15 sumo

I weighed in at 211.6 this morning so I think it is time to start going the other direction. Nothing drastic just 1lb a week, until maybe 195.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Jester likes this.
  8. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

June (mid) updates: Moved to a DUP high variety program for the next 12-16 weeks. Some highlights so far; Bench 225x12, Sumo 425 3x3, Squat 315 3x3, Clean & Press 145 3x3, and weightloss is on target down from 212 to a 208 average about 1lb ahead of schedule. Some things didn't go as great doing Circus Dumbbell for 75lbs was fine for my right arm but I looked terrible with my left.

9. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Below is my current program. Everything has been going smoothly. A handful of highlights were a casual 495 sumo for a single after 260x20. Squat 325 3x3 and Bench 245 3x3. I'm going to take an SD followed by a week of 15s at my "cardio" or 20 rep weights, then add 5-10lbs to the below and get back to it.

I feel like I am getting about 3lbs a week strength gain from Sumo, so I am going to ride that out and see if I can touch 600 in a bit over half a year.

https://imgur.com/TKjKvYF

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Jester likes this.
  10. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Ah cool, thanks for posting that, always curious about how people set up their DUP cycles... fascinating, that looks like a fun program mate :)

11. adpowah

adpowah Active Member

Kind of getting back into it. We bought a duplex with our friends and it has been a lot of work. I'm at about 75% strength but I am going to focus on some fitness for a while.

Browner and Jester like this.
  12. Browner

Browner Well-Known Member

Good to have you back!

13. _tim

_tim Well-Known Member

Enjoy the new digs! Good luck with the layout too!