Advice and opinions needed

Joe.Muscle

Hey guys I am thinking of buying "the perfect pushup" b/c I have heard a lot of people enjoy it.

I am going to get it just for the hell of it so when I am sitting around I can drop down and just knock out some reps.

If I get to a point were I am knocking out 3 to 4 sets a night of bodyweight pushups do you guys see a problem with this interfering with my other training.

Will this be overkill and lead to overtraining the chest?

If you can do more than 20 rest assured, it is not overtraining. In fact if you can get over 20 rest assured, its not bodybuilding either. Its strength endurance. That may compromise size/strength gains. Ask Dan.

I've been looking at the Westside method recently and one of the lifts they do is a pushup with chains wrapped around their chest. My wrists have never tolerated the standard hand position for a pushup but I can do them just fine on my knuckles. In fact when I am wrestling with my dog I always support my bodyweight on my knuckles, never my palms. Having a sturdy pushup bar would be a must if I did pushups with chains.

Those sure are some sexy commercials.

Bandwagon Effect in full play.

Joe

Honest...My opinion...you probably already know how to do a perfect pushup!
laugh.gif

There must be better ways of spending your money?
wink.gif

I always thought pushups were a waste of time for a BB'er who can bench 1-1/2x his BW. - except maybe as a temporary stopgap in a motel room on the road. I've always been able to slam off 50-70 or so at any time, so what's the point of it? I have OTOH, put my neice on my shoulders and done them, much to her squealing delight.

I used to do about 50-60 every morning.

And found that it did hinder my benching excercises
Now, I pump out about 25 as a warm up for my benching

BTW I have the perfect push up also
biggrin.gif
Only for traveling purposes

I also got the gymboss interval timer great for tabata training no more need to watch the clock!

http://www.gymboss.com/

Aw, hope I didn't offend Joe: it's just in my view that this is a hypertrophy forum and I usually expect that we're discussing the best ways to attain size.

how pushups can hinder the bench ? maybe fatigue on the muscles ?

I repeat Joe's question: is it a problem and does it interfere with training ? Maybe fatigue, again ?

And if you're on the road, maybe it could hold some chest muscle if you're doing pushups daily for a couple of weeks?

My insomnia shall answer for me...
wow.gif

Yes, yes, and yes!
If you're doing a program to the fullest, you don't need to be working a muscle that you're allready working 3x/week!
If you wanted to a.) intersperse your workouts with a highrep day (i.e., pushups), it would be a good thing for obvious reasons. Some guys here do lowrep/highrep alternates, but with more weight. Mitochondrial growth and joint lubrication are two benefits.
Or, b.) it it better than nothing on the road for holding on to gains. Let me suggest that one must know the difference between wide stance (chest) and narrow (tricep) pushups. They are actually more effective as a tricep exersize, and why? Because the ratio of load to muscles used is lower. The tri's are isolate and chest is compound, all with the same load. One way to raise the load is to position the hands more towards the feet, reducing the mechanical advantage and making the press harder. This is especially true with narrow stance. The tri's really get a good workout, and your rep max will be lower, although it can be uncomfortable on the wrists.
Maybe those "perfect pushup" things would help with that, but I'm loathe to pay $35-40.00 for a set. I can tell you how to make some for a few bucks.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I can tell you how to make some for a few bucks. </div>

Now...that's a good proposition, go quad!
wink.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 29 2008,07:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Aw, hope I didn't offend Joe: it's just in my view that this is a hypertrophy forum and  I usually expect that we're discussing the best ways to attain size.</div>
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Krieger @ Jan. 30 2008,00:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">how pushups can hinder the bench ? maybe fatigue on the muscles ?

I repeat Joe's question: is it a problem and does it interfere with training ? Maybe fatigue, again ?

And if you're on the road, maybe it could hold some chest muscle if you're doing pushups daily for a couple of weeks?</div>
I just felt that I couldn't lift my normal weights.

Whether that was due to fatigue I do not know.
Now, I am experiencing this with my current routine also (doing dips AM and bench PM). In fact after this mesocycle I think I am going to start alternating them.

You know those bar stools that spin? They have a big &quot;thrust&quot; type bearing that is basically two flat plates with circular grooves with ball bearings in them. They can be found, or were, at Home Depot some time back.
You know that galvanized handle for lifting your garage door? Imagine that bolted to the bearing with a thick piece of hose over the handgrip.
There ya go!
biggrin.gif
...from the eternal packrat...

Those &quot;perfect pushups&quot; are about the stupidest, faggiest exercise euipment I have ever seen. Don't waste your money...worthless. Do dips and regular pushups like a real man.

Seeing that we are on the subject of push-ups, how on earth do the folks who get the records for doing the most consecutive reps actually manage it metabolically speaking? Are they exceedingly light in the body and legs and therefore the exercise becomes more like running? Perhaps it is also the case that their tendon insertions are so attached that they have better mechanical advantage than most people.

As a kid I worked up to doing 100 consecutive push-ups. I'm not sure I could even do 50 or 60 now. I can't imagine what it's like to be able to do thousands (I think the record currently stands at 10,507 set by Minoru Yoshida of Japan in October 1980).

<div>
(Lol @ Jan. 31 2008,08:44)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Seeing that we are on the subject of push-ups, how on earth do the folks who get the records for doing the most consecutive reps actually manage it metabolically speaking? Are they exceedingly light in the body and legs and therefore the exercise becomes more like running? Perhaps it is also the case that their tendon insertions are so attached that they have better mechanical advantage than most people.

As a kid I worked up to doing 100 consecutive push-ups. I'm not sure I could even do 50 or 60 now. I can't imagine what it's like to be able to do thousands (I think the record currently stands at 10,507 set by Minoru Yoshida of Japan in October 1980).</div>
Max-Stim
biggrin.gif

Back