Aerobics on weight training day?

I

imported_domineaux

I work out once a day six days a week from 1 to 1-1/4  hours. I can't adjust my schedule for more time in the gym.
sad.gif

I have been doing weight training every other day with cardio training on the off days.  I spend an equal amount of time on each.  Mon-Wts  Tue-Cardio   Wed-W   TH-C   Fri-W   Sat-C   Sunday off.

I'd really like to bump up my weight training to six days a week, but I can't leave off the cardio-aerobics.  I can feel my body is competent to have a good weight training workout on those days I'm doing the cardio-aerobics.  I need the cardio as much as I need the weight training.

I've been thinking to keep my weight training within 45 minutes six days a week and do 30 minutes of cardio-aerobics immediately after each weight training. ---> or do thirty minutes of cardio prior to weight training.

If I could effectively perform this I could double my weight workouts (almost).

My concern:

My understanding is testosterone levels begin to fall off drastically after 45 minutes to 1 hour of weight training.  Effectively, this inhibits muscular development so further exercise is counter-productive. Then if I jump onto the treadmill for thirty minutes am I further depleting the hormone levels.

I realize I can just do it and see what happens, but I thought someone may already have experience with such a training routine and could provide some insights.

I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions or insights.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've been thinking to keep my weight training within 45 minutes six days a week and do 30 minutes of cardio-aerobics immediately after each weight training. ---> or do thirty minutes of cardio prior to weight training

Never, ever, ever do cardio prior to weight training. Just don't. Ever. :D Alrightie, some pointers . . .

1) Don't worry too much about the 45 min-1 hour limit. Cortisol levels will eventually bump back down as long as you take care of your food and rest situation. Obviously, you want to keep your routines brief and sweet, but you don't need to rush.

2) Increase your pre-WO protein intake by 20-40 more grams.

3) Aggressively attack the carbs after your workout. Increase overall carb intake throughout the day.

4) In terms of cardio, you have two options: You can go 20-30 minutes of steady state cardio, or you can go 10-20 minutes HIIT. Because you're used to steady state, probably stick with that.

5) Look into a 750-1500 caloric surplus on your workout days. It may sound like a lot, but trust me -- you may not survive your routine without it.

cheers,
Jules

Currently, I'm taking 46grams of protein pre and post workouts. I take another 2 cups of cottage cheese with yogurt as well afterward. I take protein grams at 1.25 times my bodyweight daily on weight workout days I take pretty close to the same in grams of carbs.

I eat all day as it.  If I have to choke down another 1,500 calories I'll feel like the Holiday Goose.  You know the one that gets force fed with a funnel and has a rope around his neck to keep him from upchucking...  
laugh.gif

Maybe I'll rethink my goals abit. :D It may not be an issue of what I can do, but what I want to do considering the options.

Thanks for your response

You don't necessarily have to add in another 1500 calories to your bulking diet, just work in 750-1500 calories above your maintenance levels.  

The downside with training like that often with that much cardio, you will deplete your glycogen stores rather quickly and your caloric needs could potentially skyrocket.  It can quickly send you into real systemic overtraining.

The upside, though, is that you raise the ceiling in terms of muscle-to-fat ratio as well as potential LBM gains.  If you take in enough food, you could get some monster gains.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I take protein grams at 1.25 times my bodyweight daily on weight workout days I take pretty close to the same in grams of carbs.

I'd probably increase protein intake to 2*BW and match that in carbs, if not higher (up to 5:3 carbs to protein.) That'll get you around the 1500 caloric surplus mark.

Yeah, you eat scary amounts of food. ;)

cheers,
Jules

What do you think if I backed off on the cardio?

Say I do weight workouts six days, with cardio following only on three of those days. (The days when I don't work my lower torso/end)

It may sound like I'm splitting hairs, but increasing my food intact appx 1/2 again on top of what I'm eating now. You know how it is, most of the stuff isn't that exciting a bill-of-fare.
laugh.gif

Is there a way to get a feel for lack of Glycogen other than just outright "pooped". I wonder, what to do you think about doing creatine to pump it up. I used to take Phosphagen HP, but felt like I didn't need it on my current program.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What do you think if I backed off on the cardio?

If you do, then you can adjust your carb intake down and keep to your current pre/post-WO protein intake. Cardio is actually a pretty good strategy for glycogen supercompensation and improving the nutrient partioning effect throughout the day. For people whose metabolism is not up to snuff, it makes a tangible difference in terms of bulking up without gaining fat. But if you're training 6x-a-week, then you're already pushing the body's limits. And, so, it becomes really important to eat accordingly.

You can, of course, take what you're doing and steadily ramp up the caloric intake until you find your right set point.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is there a way to get a feel for lack of Glycogen other than just outright "pooped". I wonder, what to do you think about doing creatine to pump it up. I used to take Phosphagen HP, but felt like I didn't need it on my current program.

Mostly if you look or feel flat. Creatine is, of course, recommended however you look at it for gaining.

cheers,
Jules

Vicious

Thanks that's good information. One week left on 5s then I SD. I'm trying to get things together for next cycle.

Back