Alternating exercises during the week..

Nitwit

Hey everyone, I'm new to HST and excited because I like the idea of how it works. My question lies within alternating excises throughout the cycle. I have seen 3 sample workouts on the main website: one had squats every time for thighs MWF, another had squats alternating with deadlifts, and another squats alternating with leg presses every workout. I have heard that changing excerises for a muscle confuses it and slows gains. I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right, so if i squated 2x10 monday (75%10RM) should I deadlift tomarrow or squat?

Some backround info:

Age - 20 years old
Height - 5'9"
Weight - Around 152lb

1RM Bench - around 225
1RM Squat - not sure, guessing around 300

I've been workin out on and off for the last 2 years, was serious before that when I was 17 and 18 building strength/power for wrestling. I skipped the 15rep week because I feel that I can handle the load of 5reps for I was doing low rep on a split workout(Yuck).

Thanks for your thoughts
worship.gif

Nitwit

The reason for alternating, for example squats and deadlifts is to save your lower back the excessive strain
tounge.gif

It has nothing to do with confusing the muscle, in fact I have headr this expression before but i really think one can't confuse muscle cells as they do not have a brain
butbut.gif

They have a "memory" but that only records the latest load applied to a muscle, and that we address by using progressive loading and then SD after a full cycle.

Remember, this site is very scientific and you will soon learn that such expression as confusing the muscle, yada yada yada are used by some of the BB sites and writers but have no scientific basis.

For starters and to build your understanding of the whole HST concept go here:

The ultimate links thread for HST newbies!

Hope this helps, mate

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I skipped the 15rep week because I feel that I can handle the load of 5reps for I was doing low rep on a split workout(Yuck).

Even so...you hsould first try out the full-on HST vanilla program before doing your own variations as every rep scheme is well thought of and has its place in the program, then afterwards you can start creating a hybrid of your own
thumbs-up.gif

Muscles don't get confused. As long as you are eating right and lifting right, you will make gains. Alternating exercises will not slow that down. Muscle building is not magic, it's science.

Back