alternating question

Juggernaut

i did a search on alternating and read every post about it but i still have the urge to ask a question about my personal situation.
I've just finished making my HST cycle but now im having some doubts.
In my cycle i'm alternating bent over row and pulley row. My question, the RM's for the exercises are very different. For bent over rows in the 15's i use 50-55-60 kg and for the pulley rows i use 40-45-50. Please dont laugh about the weights, im just beginning. ;)
Because of the differences in RM's here will it be efficient enough for this musclegroup? One workout im using 50kg and the next 40 kg but a different exercise. Or should i just do one of these exercises? Or is it ok because im hitting the same musclegroup hard enough? I'm also alternating squats and deads, leg curls and extensions but these are not for the same musclegroups.
The second question, i've made two cycles. In one of them i have my maxes for the alternating ones on the 5th AND 6th workout and in the other just on the 6th. Which one will be better? Tnx.

Last edited:
I think you will be fine with the alternating weights as they are not to far off and most importantly you have both of them constantly progressing. I’m in a similar situation with the various exercises in my alternating routine. I can Chin Up more than I can Pull Up, Flat Bench more then Incline Bench. I just have each exercise progressing through normally with the appropriate weight for each exercise and it worked great on my 1st cycle and seems to be working again on my second.

I think you can do either 5th or 6th or even push through to a 7th or 8th workout for each cycle. I’ve read many people here saying they push each RM if they can go farther. There is no rule that each cycle must be 2 weeks and 6 increments it’s just a good starting place to plan from keeping things simple. If you hit your RM for a rep range on one exercise at the 5th workout you can just repeat that weight again for the 6th while the rest of your exercises catch up. Also consider that your RM for each cycle will likely increase from what you originally tested because you are likely going to gain strength.

tnx again grunt for your explanation. Ok, then im going to keep it this way and my cycle is ready. Now i can enjoy my SD and i can look forward to begin muscle up. Have a great 2011.

"Please dont laugh about the weights, im just beginning. "

Nobody here's gonna laugh, and pay no attention to anybody at your gym who laughs.

Weights have to be different for every age level, and every weight level, and for every experience level . Weights are different for different training regimens. One guy is doing heavy triples for strength training. Another guy is using 5 lb dumbbells (or smaller) for rotator cuff work. Anyone who laughs is simply showing his own ignorance.

If somebody wants to laugh at my dinky weights when I start my 15 rep week, I invite them to come and see when I am finishing my 5 rep week.

Welcome to the forum. This is a place where you can get good help from people who have both knowledge and experience. I can't tell you how pleased I am that I found this site.

Different lifts are going to have different RMs. Don't worry about that part. You don't need to use the same loads are different exercises for the same muscle groups. Depending on the mechanics of a lift, etc, it will place tension on slightly different groups of muscles or in slightly different ways, so just don't worry about it. Just use whatever RM you have for each lift, base your loads for that lift on that RM and make sure to progress in each lift over time.

Back