amino acids for growth hormone release

beingisbeing

Optimum Sports Nutrition by Dr. Michael Colgan details a method of maximizing anabolic drive, that is based on 'total nutrition,' plenty of sleep, extensive training, eating six meals a day to maintain insulin levels etc.

And one other key thing: supplementation, on an empty stomach 3 hours distant from protein so as to minimize competition in crossing the blood-brain barrier, with L-Arginine HCL and Ornithine AKG before training twice daily, and once before sleep, to supposedly elevate growth hormone levels. This coupled with stable insulin and all the above protocols, he argues, is what gives a real anabolic edge and can in the long term, "beat steroids."

He cites a load of research, much of which he admits is controversial and based on intravenous administration. He then cites his own research in support of this regimen, based on oral supplementation.

The book is old, but I have contacted the Colgan Institute, and they still swear by it. (http://www.colganinstitute.com/)

I have also come across research on the internet that seems to indicate oral Arginine and Ornithine actually suppress GH by as much as 20%

I've also read that Tryptophan, now made legal again, taken before bedtime, can really elevate your GH levels.

Lyle McDonald in UD2.0 suggests glutamine pre-bedtime to elevate GH levels, but he is unsure as to whether it will really help.

Somebody help! Whats going on here? What do you guys think, Bryan, Dan, Aaron, etc?

If nothing else, I find it very interesting that Colgan does not SELL aminos. So at least he actually believes what he is doing, as opposed to some (ahem: Dr. DiPasquale) who despite being MD's sell snake oil unabashedly. But he does sell "research grade" vitamins and minerals!

LOL! No doubt about it!
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have also come across research on the internet that seems to indicate oral Arginine and Ornithine actually suppress GH by as much as 20%</div>
I remember taking this mix for a while and quit because it did nothing for me that I could see. I believe the statement may be true.

<div>
(Aaron_F @ May 29 2008,7:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The best amino acids for growth hormone are found here</div>
HAHAHAHAHA. Thats brilliant. Well done Aaron. But you know I'm going to nag you for a more precise poo pooing of the idea. And don't say ambiguous studies. Like, duhhh. ;)

The main problem is that raising gh by 20% is going to achieve nothing. To get an effect from gh, the dose has to be pretty darn high.

Lately I have no need for amino acid supplementation at all. I don't even take protein powder any more. Why not? Because my diet is heavy on steak ,chicken, fish, milk, cheese, yogurt, nuts....and I GET ALL THE AMINO ACIDS I WILL POSSIBLY NEED FROM FOOD.
Amazing!
wink.gif

Egg White:
Protein &amp; Amino Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV Protein26.5g 53%  
Tryptophan304mg  
Threonine1091mg  
Isoleucine1606mg  
Leucine2469mg  
Lysine1958mg  
Methionine969mg  
Cystine697mg  
Phenylalanine1667mg  
Tyrosine1111mg  
Valine1966mg  
Arginine1575mg  
Histidine705mg  
Alanine1711mg  
Aspartic acid2965mg  
Glutamic acid3767mg  
Glycine1004mg  
Proline1057mg  
Serine1939mg  
Hydroxyproline~  

...a sample supplement (Ergopharm) - on sale now!
Average Amino Acid Profile Per Serving  
L-Leucine  2840  mg  
L-Isoleucine  1420  mg  
L-Valine  1420  mg  
L-Lysine  1136  mg  
L-Methionine  1136  mg  
L-Phenylalanine  1136  mg  
L-Threonine  1136  mg  
L-Aspartic Acid  2840  mg  
L-Histidine  1136  mg
In most values, the expensive supp has LESS than an egg white. I'd discovered this years ago, becoming disgruntled with supps and beginning to read the labels. It still hasn't changed today. OTOH, eggs don't come with the pretty labels.

<div>
(quadancer @ May 30 2008,9:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In most values, the expensive supp has LESS than an egg white. I'd discovered this years ago, becoming disgruntled with supps and beginning to read the labels. It still hasn't changed today. OTOH, eggs don't come with the pretty labels.</div>
What is the serving size for the egg white and the supplement? I am not speaking in favor of the supplement, just wanting to compare them equally (of course egg whites are so much cheaper you can just up the quantity and still come out paying less)

Actually in tests with arg w or w/o resitance training the arg increased serum GH by about 100% but exercise alone can and has shown to increase it 300%, yet when taken together the serum GH increase is only about 200%, so why bother.

Aaron that was &quot;suppresses by 20%&quot; I was advancing that as a conflicting study. But I think I see your point anyway.

Quad, an amino acid cocktail (i.e. real food/protein) would not work for this (assuming 'this' works at all). According to Colgan you would get conflict from the different aminos in the same class (basic, acidic, etc) in crossing the blood-brain barrier and stimulating GH release.

Dan: aren't there multiple studies with conflicting results in this domain? But what you stated sounds familiar (arg/orn end up SUPPRESSING GH release when mixed with exercise). Or do all studies you're aware of in exercising subjects show this suppression of GH rather then elevation?

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 30 2008,12:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lately I have no need for amino acid supplementation at all. I don't even take protein powder any more. Why not? Because my diet is heavy on steak ,chicken, fish, milk, cheese, yogurt, nuts....and I GET ALL THE AMINO ACIDS I WILL POSSIBLY NEED FROM FOOD.
Amazing!
wink.gif
</div>
I knew you were in cahoots with Martin. Tsk tsk tsk you carnivorous savage you...

I was merely pointing out the value of good 'ol cheap eggs compared to the 'superfoods'.
I looked it back up Dan:
1 cup eggwhite, raw, unfrozen vs.
Ergopharm All in One: Serving Size:1 scoop (19g)

<div>
(scientific muscle @ May 30 2008,12:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lately I have no need for amino acid supplementation at all. I don't even take protein powder any more. Why not? Because my diet is heavy on steak ,chicken, fish, milk, cheese, yogurt, nuts....and I GET ALL THE AMINO ACIDS I WILL POSSIBLY NEED FROM FOOD.
Amazing!
wink.gif
</div>
And here I was thinking I was the only one who knew that secret to supplementation
laugh.gif

<div>
(jvroig @ May 31 2008,9:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(scientific muscle @ May 30 2008,12:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lately I have no need for amino acid supplementation at all.  I don't even take protein powder any more.  Why not?  Because my diet is heavy on steak ,chicken, fish, milk, cheese, yogurt, nuts....and I GET ALL THE AMINO ACIDS I WILL POSSIBLY NEED FROM FOOD.
Amazing!
wink.gif
</div>
And here I was thinking I was the only one who knew that secret to supplementation  
laugh.gif
</div>
Still, I wouldn't want to be without my 3 scoops of whey in my pre and post shakes. Lovely stuff: 1 pint of milk, 1 or 2 bananas, 2 or 3 eggs &amp; 3 scoops of whey = Mmmmmmm.

<div>
(beingisbeing @ May 30 2008,12:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan: aren't there multiple studies with conflicting results in this domain? But what you stated sounds familiar (arg/orn end up SUPPRESSING GH release when mixed with exercise). Or do all studies you're aware of in exercising subjects show this suppression of GH rather then elevation?</div>
All the ones I am aware of that used RT with supplementation in healthy human subjects, show a negative feedback.

Protein powder is a good buy (cheap source of a food that is mostly protein). Eggs, beef, poultry, fish and milk are musts in the bb'ers diet.

Back