Amino Acids

One thing you aren't considering is our bodies waste a lot of the protein we digest, upto half in some cases!!! I think it's even more for things like peanuts...

Eggs are 100% bio-available and are the only protein that our bodies make full use of.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 07 2007,18:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> From what I understand, most of them aren't even legally allowed to give diet advice.</div>
The same can be said of the majority of people on this forum, myself included.

Interesting read for you guys as to the effects of amino acids on protein synthesis in people with minimal blood flow to the legs (claudication).  And this is without exercise treatment, just amino acid (from a shake) enduced protein synthesis. Coupled with resistance training...?

&quot;Amino acids stimulate leg muscle protein synthesis in peripheral arterial
disease.

Killewich LA, Tuvdendorj D, Bahadorani J, Hunter GC, Wolfe RR.

Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
77555, USA. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: Older patients with peripheral arterial disease (PAD) and
intermittent claudication have impaired walking ability resulting from reduced
lower extremity blood flow. Evidence suggests that leg muscle abnormalities may
also contribute to walking intolerance in claudicants. In healthy elderly
people, leg muscle protein synthesis can be augmented by nutritional
supplementation with amino acids; preliminary data suggest that this increases
muscle mass, walking ability, and functional status. In this study, we
investigated whether amino acid supplementation would improve leg muscle protein
synthesis in elderly PAD subjects, given that reduced leg blood flow might
restrict the availability of amino acids to muscle. METHODS: Two groups
participated in the study: a group of 11 claudicants (mean age, 62 years; mean
ankle-brachial index, 0.62; 46% male) and a group of 9 age- and sex-matched
healthy controls (mean ankle-brachial index, 1.1). Both groups underwent
measurement of leg blood flow by using strain gauge plethysmography, as well as
measurement of baseline and amino acid-stimulated protein synthesis in leg
muscle. Protein synthesis was quantified from calf muscle biopsy samples by
measurement of the fractional synthetic rate (FSR) of protein, by using the
incorporation of the stable isotope l-[ring-(2)H(5)]-phenylalanine into muscle
protein. Total protein was extracted from muscle samples, and gas
chromatography/mass spectroscopy methodology was used to measure incorporation
rates. After measurement of basal FSR, all subjects were given an oral drink of
15 g of essential amino acids, and the measurements of FSR were repeated. Data
are expressed as mean +/- SD; statistical analysis of differences between the
two groups (with and without amino acid supplementation) was performed by using
analysis of variance with repeated measures. RESULTS: Calf blood flow was
reduced in the PAD subjects compared with controls (1.44 +/- 0.53 mL/min per 100
mg of tissue vs 2.40 +/- 0.57 mL/min per 100 mg of tissue; P = .005; t test).
FSR in the basal state was equivalent between the two groups (healthy, 0.060%
+/- 0.025% per hour; PAD, 0.061% +/- 0.029% per hour; P = .97). Equivalent
increases (P &lt; .05) occurred in both groups in response to oral amino acid
supplementation (healthy, 0.087% +/- 0.012% per hour; PAD, 0.104% +/- 0.041% per
hour; P &gt; .05; analysis of variance). CONCLUSIONS: Despite reduced leg blood
flow, elderly PAD patients synthesize calf muscle protein in the basal state in
a fashion similar to that in healthy elderly people. More importantly,
administration of exogenous amino acids produces a significant increase in
protein synthesis in these patients that is also equivalent to that in healthy
elderly people.
Our goal is to use these results as the basis for an
intervention study to determine whether long-term oral amino acids, by
augmenting calf muscle protein synthesis, increase calf muscle mass, walking
ability, and functional status in elderly claudicants.&quot;

<div>
(need2eat @ Mar. 14 2007,17:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anyone have a study on amino acids and healthy muscle tissue or otherwise healthy people?</div>
Ahhhhhh, yes I do.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Mar. 14 2007,18:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(need2eat @ Mar. 14 2007,17:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anyone have a study on amino acids and healthy muscle tissue or otherwise healthy people?</div>
Ahhhhhh, yes I do.</div>
You can sum it up if you like.
biggrin.gif

Seems you cant go wrong with milk, whey or eggs.  I need to get a job at a cheese factory.  
biggrin.gif

Whats not clear, how much cow milk vs how much whey?

Is that powdered whey vs cow milk?

I do notice that one serving of my protein powder vs one serving of my BCAA caps is as follows.

.............protein powder...............BCAA' caps
leucine        2531mg .....................500mg
isoleucine   1573mg.......................250mg
valine          1422mg......................250mg

so basically they capped 4g pure protein and call it BCAA  
biggrin.gif
  Rip off.

Wait, then I read this

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When, for example, Glutamine, Arginine, Tryptophan, Glycine, and the BCAA’s (Leucine, Valine, and Isoleucine) are taken as free form amino acids without having to compete against other amino acids in their class have been reported to stimulate maximal hGH release with muscle growth rate increased effects.</div>

So basically, if you can afford to take BCAA's, you should, if you wish to optomize muscle growth.

Too bad Im income deficient.
biggrin.gif

hGH is a stingy subject. Consider that highish dosages haven`t been all that effective at building muscle. Modulating the GH pulse, which seems to be where the money`s at, would be better, but I`ve yet to see some supplement actually help here. Minute increases?Yes. Significant ones?I haven`t seen them, but I`d love a supp that helped significantly in this area, as it would help cutting a lot.

The other thing I'd noticed about anything to do with increasing GH outside of actual injections is that it's going to take 3 months of use to notice any verifiable effects.
Need was right; I have some BCAA powder that hits you with a lot of ingredient - L/I/V @ 2500, 1000, 1500 - but since I'm on proteins all day long, how is that not going to compete? My gut is never empty.
The GH 'secretagogues', 'enhancers', etc. all ask you to take it on an empty stomach too...depending on their amino stack to do it's work...but that surely doesn't do anything for a BB'er but empty his wallet. I did the Somatropin thing and some other 'tropin thing and got zip.

There`s a catch 33 even with exogenous GH:it`s expensive(though cheaper than it used to be), and not that great overall. It does little for muscle mass, but it increases fat free mass...meaning, you get really big bones, a lot of conjunctive tissue, water retention, and a big friggin gut. Lo and behold, you`re Ronnie Coleman
smile.gif

It seems that it`s not the ammount of GH that`s floating in your system is important, but the process of secreting it.

<div>
(need2eat @ Mar. 14 2007,19:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Dan Moore @ Mar. 14 2007,18:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
Ahhhhhh, yes I do.</div>
You can sum it up if you like.  
biggrin.gif
</div>
Eat enough, but not too much, good quality protein.

I have many studies on my HR site, go there under the DIET and Supplements tab.

There are several newer studies out that have looked at timing that I don't have linked yet and some newer papers on amounts as well but nothing really groundbreaking or novel.

<div>
(Bison @ Mar. 09 2007,08:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Whey Isolate is more like Whey Concentrate than BCAA's. It still needs to be digested, so not as good during a workout.</div>
amino acid uptake from whey protein is as quick, or quicker than free form amino acids.

Di and tri-peptides are taken up in preference to free form amino acids.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also Isolate contains 10% Leucine compared to BCAA's 50%.</div>

and it also contains all of the other amino acids required by the body to build tissue.

BCAA's do not.

Back