Any way around suboptimal lifting period?

Yeah. I think that sort of thing is a carryover from "traditional" programs where you have to go all out every session. As a result, people think that they cannot make progress unless they push their maxes each session. In reality... using submaximal (notice I did not use the word 'suboptimal' because it is definitely NOT suboptimal) weights can net you more consistent progress. Nobody can keep pushing their maxes indefinitely.
Using submax loads allows you to build up to your previous max and push for new maxes, gaining strength the whole time. As long as you don't stupidly low when you cycle your weights, you can still gain strength/size off of lighter weights. Also, since you aren't pushing your maxes the whole time, you are able to recover better, etc etc

Exactly. After 15 years working out to near failure, it feels weird to put the bar down at the 15th rep while still feeling strong. Max-stim gets around this by always going beyond the max reps via rest-pause, and you can alter the rest interval intra-set to always hit that 20th rep near your max effort. Fascinating concept.

I've never tried that before. Start tomorrow.

<div>
(sh4mike @ Oct. 22 2007,20:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Max-stim gets around this by always going beyond the max reps via rest-pause</div>
Not quite. Rest Pause is touted as a part of the DoggCrapp technique:

&quot;While some training tricks can be a bit complex or require a spotter, rest-pause is crudely simple. You perform your reps as you normally would until you can't do any more. Then, instead of terminating the set by putting the weight down or placing it back in the rack, you pause in the &quot;down&quot; position, rest three or four seconds, then try to pump out a few more reps.&quot;

Max-Stim, on the other hand, requires that you put the weight down -- clear out of your hands! -- between reps. That is not the same thing as Rest Pause.

Not only so but the Rest Pause technique is used to squeeze out a few more reps as you become fatigued. The Max-Stim M-time is used starting from the very first rep in an attempt to eliminate or reduce fatigue altogether.

Be careful not to confuse M-time with Rest Pause.

Mike

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Exactly. After 15 years working out to near failure, it feels weird to put the bar down at the 15th rep while still feeling strong.</div>

This is the difference between getting good gains and not getting much out of HST...you gotta yield tgo the concept and try it out before attempting to change it because of pre-existing concepts.

Believe it or not it works...word of advice, save the max-stim for the after 5's when it is most useful (this of course is myopinion and has absolutelly no bearing in max-stim has a program on its own...it is a good program and well worth giving a go!)
wink.gif

A bit off-topic, but two things about max-stim that I find pretty challenging:

1. Racking (or putting the bar down) after each rep is difficult especially at higher loads.  I feel more prone to injury when doing this.  Guess a spotter would help.

2. I usually can't do any more volume via max-stim than when I rep to fatigue, rest, and repeat.  Maybe I need to increase m-time, but this would seem to substantially increase time in the gym.

I just signed up over on Dan's forum so I'll read up a little more over there.

So you're only getting one extra max rep in? Since it's supposed to be 20...maybe you're coming up to your max with too much volume?

Scenario 3....

I kinda like that setup as well....

But 'progressing weekly' is that enough?
Meaning normal HST progression is 3 times a week...

This you are doing the same weight all week. Then upping weight weekly with a lower rep range?

Personally I like the idea. Anyone think it will be effective?

It should be more effective for growing, but less effective for strengh. What im gonna do on my next cycle is 1 practice with submax weight ( 5 kilos below my max) and 2 practices with my maxes.
So its look like that :
Training 1 - practice A- submax weights
Training 2 - practice B- Submax weights
Training 3 - practice A- Max weights
Training 4 - practice B - Max weights
Training 5 - practice A - Max Weights
Training 6 - practice B - max weights
Training 7 - practice A- Submax Weights ( of the new rep range). And soo on.
So the first 2 trainings of each rep range are lighter, to prevent fatigue.

Each time you go to gym its a training.
Practice A = Squat + bench press + T-bar + Army press
Pracitice B = DL + Incline Bench Press + Chins + Shoulder Press.

2 sets on 15's
3 sets on 10's
4 sets on 5's
3 trainings each week

Your routine has a lesser amount of linear progression than it could potentially have. With that said, I think you could maximize hypertrophy if you went with something more traditional.

Back