Ascent's thread of GROWTH!

Ascent

Welcome!

I was always the scrawnier kid in school, described as skin & bones. I carried that persona through my later teens. I now sit at age 21.. but I am ready to GROW!

I'm 5'11" and began lifting at weight 56kg/123lb. According to the BMI calculators, I was considered "Scrawny".

This thread's purpose is to track my progress, giving me a continuing push to reach my goals. I'll update it weekly with stats and occasionally photos.

081116.jpg

STATS:

Height: 5'11"
Starting weight (1/6/08): 56kg/123lb
First HST cycle (1/9/08): 60kg/132lb
Current weight (23/11/08): 65.0kg/143lb
Target weight (1/11/09): 77kg/170lb

HST Routine:

3x weekly

Squats
Bench/Dips
Pullups/Rows
Military press

Been there. Follow Vanilla HST, your routine looks great. Just remember the most important part is to eat big and get plenty of protein. Aim for AT LEAST 150g/day. And by eat big, calculate your maintenance and eat at least 500 cals over it per day. Track the calories your are eating because you will most likely estimate wrong.
I lifted for a long time and always stopped growing too soon. I finally found out that I was eating too little while thinking (wrongly) that I was eating enough. When I started following the above tricks I started growing like magic.

Welcome Ascent!

Why not put deads in your routine once a week, say on Wednesdays? They will really help you to pack on some upper body thickness plus they will condition your CNS to handling heavy loads. You should be able to deadlift more than you can squat but make sure you get your form right first if you haven't done them before. If you learn to deadlift during 15s the loads will be relatively light by default so you can improve your form before you get to the heavy end of the cycle.

<div>
(Lol @ Nov. 17 2008,12:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Why not put deads in your routine once a week, say on Wednesdays? They will really help you to pack on some upper body thickness plus they will condition your CNS to handling heavy loads. You should be able to deadlift more than you can squat but make sure you get your form right first if you haven't done them before. If you learn to deadlift during 15s the loads will be relatively light by default so you can improve your form before you get to the heavy end of the cycle.</div>
I'm with Lol on this one. Add some deadlifts -- they are marvelous for adding mass!

Thanks for the comments fellas!

I'll be sure to add deadlifts on my next cycle. I'm really enjoying the simplicity of a routine based on compound exercises. Much better than piss-fartin' around with a heap of iso's.

electric, I can relate to the part about [wrongly] thinking you were getting enough calories. For the last 2 weeks my weight hasn't budged. Lo and behold, its the only 2 weeks where I haven't counted and recorded my calorie intake, and just estimated it. So I'm going to start recording my daily intake, and post the totals on Sunday. If I don't, someone give me a virtual SLAP!

Just remember to take some time to work on your deadlift form using light weights. Also do not try to progress too fast for fear of an injury. Slow and steady wins in the end.

Finished my 3rd week of 5's

Calories
S: 3547
M: 3526
T: 3506
W: 3550
T: 3120
F: 3135
S: 3615

Average: 3428
Target: 3500

Weight
Average weight: 143.0lb
Gain: +0.9lb

Finished my 4th week of 5's. Time for some quality SD!

Calories
S: 2976
M: 3153
T: 3644
W: 3454
T: 3613
F: 3480
S: 3498

Average: 3417

Weight
Average weight: 143.4lb
Gain: +0.4lb

<div>
(Ascent @ Nov. 29 2008,11:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Finished my 4th week of 5's. Time for some quality SD!

Calories

Average: 3417

Weight
Average weight: 143.4lb
Gain: +0.4lb</div>
Good job! Congratulations.
smile.gif

You've got the workout part down. Now you need to pick up your eating in order to produce some growth. The downside of being young and active is that you burn a whole lot of calories everyday.

Back