AST Sports Science

• Thread starter imported_da1andonlychacha
  • Start date
I

imported_da1andonlychacha

Hey, I was just wondering what people think of AST's "sports science". Is it scientific at all? Just from looking around it seems... better than most companies. But it still threw up a couple of red flags in my face. What do you guys think?

I know the thing I didn't agree with is how they advertise their VP2 as being "scientifically proven" to be better. The study they site does not specify it was VP2 whey that was used and also the study was done at the university where their science "Guru" has a strong affiliation. Raises questions in my mind, kinda like RJ Reynolds doing a study on the safety of cigarettes  :confused:

If they have to promote their products all the time that this is the one and only stuff that will make you grow, they are bogus,

For example the max-ot program. Over 20 pages from that guide is just advertisement about their products and how you cannot live with out them.

Always buch of scientific claims and hardly no references to published articles....
dozingoff.gif

Have you seen this? Its an exempel of some of the BS AST do.

THE EFFECT OF WHEY ISOLATE AND RESISTANCE TRAINING ON STRENGTH, BODY COMPOSITION AND PLASMA GLUTAMINE

P.J. Cribb, A.D. Williams, A. Hayes, M.F. Carey
Center for Rehabilitation in Exercise and Sport Science, Victoria University of Technology, Australia
It is well-established that athletes undertaking intense resistance training programs require higher dietary protein intakes. However very few studies have addressed what type of protein is optimal to enhance effects from weight training exercise. Whey isolate and casein are two protein supplements commonly used by bodybuilders and other strength athletes.

PURPOSE:
This study examined the effects of these two supplements on strength, body composition and plasma glutamine levels during a 10-week intense resistance training program.

METHODS:
In a randomized, double-blind protocol thirteen resistance-trained males (mean ± SD age:25.5 ± 6.68yr; height:179.67 ± 7.94cm; weight:83.97 ± 4.98kg.) supplemented their normal diet with either a 100% whey isolate or casein protein supplement (1.5gms/kg body wt/day) for 12 weeks. To ensure normal eating patterns were maintained, written three-day food recordings were completed by the bodybuilders throughout the study. Compliance to the supplement intake and nutrition recordings was 100%. Strength was assessed by 1-RM in the barbell bench press, squat and lat-pull down. Body composition was assed by DEXA QDR 4500. Plasma glutamine levels were determined by the enzymatic method with spectroscopic detection. All assessments occurred in the week before (week 1) and the week after training (week 12).

RESULTS:
The whey isolate group achieved a significantly greater gain (P < 0.01) in lean mass than the casein group (4.99 ± 0.25 vs. 0.81 ± 0.43 kg for whey and casein groups, respectively). While both groups significantly increased (P < 0.05) strength in the three exercises assessed, the whey isolate group made greater strength increases (P < 0.05) in all three exercises compared to the group supplementing with casein. The whey isolate group also showed a significantly greater (P < 0.05) change in fat mass (-1.46 ± 0.52) than the casein group (+0.19 ± 0.27 kg). Plasma glutamine levels, pre- and post-training, did not change in either group.

CONCLUSION:
The major finding of this study was that a 100% whey isolate protein supplement was more effective at increasing muscle mass and strength and decreasing fat mass than a casein protein supplement in resistance trained athletes. Both types of protein appear to prevent a decline in plasma glutamine levels that have previously been reported with intense exercise training. Supported by AST Sports Science.

Back