average person's view

Tonight, we had some friends over...at one point we were showing them the house and of course we ended up in the gym area.  My male friend was amazed at the amount of free-weights we had.  He said we have as much as the local YMCA where he works out.  I showed him how to do an overhead press with 155 lb.s, of course he thought I was nuts, "don't hurt yourself, you should warm up first."  He was amazed when I casually pressed it cold.  "Why do you want to be so big?  You know if you get big, when you quit lifting your muscle will turn to fat."  I told him how that is a myth and actually more muscle means higher metabolism.  Also I told him I have no intention of ever quitting and that if I did, I could easily just adjust my diet and get small without getting fat.  He told me how he works out doing 30 lb.s for overhead press for 25 reps to 'get toned' (of course, he is a twig.)  He remained unconvinced and still thinks bodybuilders are weird people who are destined to be fat when they get older.....oh well, it just goes to show what the average person's misconceived view of bodybuilding is like.

SM, this doesn't even apply ONLY to the "average" person either. My coworkers are all educated, some of them intelligent, and range in level of education from Paramedic, RN, to MD. When I finally reached 200lbs at a low BF% (yeah, still a little guy) instead of being the obese slob I once was several of them told me, "you know if you ever stop that will all turn to fat" and all that food and protein you eat is going to give you liver cancer. These are the same people who weren't the least concerned about health issues when I was 300lbs.

All but one physician who is a pretty good bodybuilder himself (better than I'll ever be) would say stuff like this. When they talk that way and I try to educate them, he just rolls his eyes and says, "don't bother, they don't want to learn, let them have their misconceptions because it helps them manage their jealousy."

I think his reply says it all.

''These are the same people who weren't the least concerned about health issues when I was 300lbs''

Kinda ironic huh, its ok to be fat but muscular, good God!
Nice job vagrant
biggrin.gif

Yeh there are a lot of fitness myths out there.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He remained unconvinced and still thinks bodybuilders are weird people who are destined to be fat when they get older.....oh well, it just goes to show what the average person's misconceived view of bodybuilding is like. </div>

That's his loss.

I know what you mean Sci,

A lot of my friends make the comment...yeah I don't workout much b/c if I do I just blow up and get too big. They are about 140 pounds.

Then some of my wife freinds ask my wife how do you look so good and stay in shape.

She tells them she lifts weights and lifts heavy anywere from 8 to 12 reps!

They all say the same thing....but I dont want to look big and muscular....yet she is telling them exactly how she looks so good.

Bottom line most people just don't get it!
biggrin.gif

It's one of my favorite happenings...I was in this 'roider gym working out one day...and this guy comes in and talks to the owner behind the desk, who is as BIG as the desk...and he says he'd like to &quot;get in shape&quot;, but didn't want to get too big, like the guy he was talking to. So the owner says, well, if you work out hard and heavy 3 to 4 times a week, train smart, eat like a horse and get plenty of sleep, in about five years, you might look like HIM.
He pointed at ME!
HA! I loved that!
laugh.gif

How about the guys who think they're gonna be Ronnie Coleman in a couple of years? Keep readin' them magazines, guys! HAR!

I wish it was as easy to &quot;blow up that big&quot; as people think!!! (HST sure helps though, eh?)

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 07 2007,19:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bottom line most people just don't get it!
biggrin.gif
</div>
I don't think they *want* to get it. Far too much discipline involved. Diet and working out! No way!
biggrin.gif

Sci: You should have done a few pretty heavy squats or deads. That would have really freaked the guy out!
biggrin.gif

Quad: superb experience.
laugh.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jan. 07 2007,03:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tonight, we had some friends over...at one point we were showing them the house and of course we ended up in the gym area.  My male friend was amazed at the amount of free-weights we had.  He said we have as much as the local YMCA where he works out.  I showed him how to do an overhead press with 155 lb.s, of course he thought I was nuts, &quot;don't hurt yourself, you should warm up first.&quot;  He was amazed when I casually pressed it cold.  &quot;Why do you want to be so big?  You know if you get big, when you quit lifting your muscle will turn to fat.&quot;  I told him how that is a myth and actually more muscle means higher metabolism.  Also I told him I have no intention of ever quitting and that if I did, I could easily just adjust my diet and get small without getting fat.  He told me how he works out doing 30 lb.s for overhead press for 25 reps to 'get toned' (of course, he is a twig.)  He remained unconvinced and still thinks bodybuilders are weird people who are destined to be fat when they get older.....oh well, it just goes to show what the average person's misconceived view of bodybuilding is like.</div>
Why do you work out at home ? Are there not any gyms in your area ?

I hate gyms...I don't like to wait for equipment and I don't like to drive somewhere to workout. I just go downstairs whenever I need to...and all the equipment is mine!
cool.gif

I don't understand you and Quad.  I don't know where you live, but if it's in a city, why wouldn't you want to be around large guys who are bigger and stronger than you are ?  Its very motivating, at least it is for me.  

That's what sucks for me when it comes to living in a small town.  I bet I'm the largest...er...strongest at least...person within 90 miles from where I live.  I love it when I'm on the road, always hoping that the gym I visit will be a powerlifting gym or some serious kind of gym with guys larger or stronger than me.  It helps to be around your peers sometimes.  It's too easy to get discouraged when all your friends are little guys who are ignorant about what you're doing.

I never thought about that aspect of it...I guess that makes sense, but for me and my busy schedule, the convenience of a home gym is priceless.

I am the type of guy that one day I will get the ultimate Home gym.....but I will still be a member of my gym to b/c of the reason Steve stated above.

Its very motivating to be around your peers...kind of gives you some friendly competition....even though 80% of them don't know what the hell they are doing!

For example....this past saturday a guy I know who is really built came up to me and said &quot;what are you working today&quot; I said Full body...he said but you always work full body....I could go into a 60 minute spill about protein synthesis and training frequency and etc....but I just said...yeah full body is convient!

I thought home motivation might be a problem for me, but it's all in how you look at it. I focus on &quot;this is MY time, MY gym, MY music, MY day, MY lifts, MY giant protein/carbo shake.&quot; Like, SF, it's all there for ME, when I want it. I have no excuses for not doing anything; there's no waiting. My equipment is good and solid, is modified to suit ME, and no one can tell me to turn down the metal. (even my wife likes it)
I have a 7-visit drop-in card for my local gym, but when I go there, even though there are big dogs hittin' the iron, it doesn't motivate me much since I don't pay attention to anything but my workout anyway.
I want to get a t-shirt that says, &quot;I'm just here to kick my @ss!&quot; I don't really go to socialize, even though I'm a very social person. I just feel like anything that gets in the way of my workout is hampering my growth or maintenance, so I talk afterward if they want. I don't go very often; no need to.

There was me, thinkin' Jones was Da Bomb then he comes out with a q. like that...
Guess it comes down to cultural differences/strength of charactor - being English means I don't need to be told how good I am, or could be: My gym - My rules &amp; if you have to ask why; you wouldn't understand the answer...
wink.gif

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 08 2007,08:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am the type of guy that one day I will get the ultimate Home gym.....but I will still be a member of my gym to b/c of the reason Steve stated above.

Its very motivating to be around your peers...kind of gives you some friendly competition....even though 80% of them don't know what the hell they are doing!

For example....this past saturday a guy I know who is really built came up to me and said &quot;what are you working today&quot; I said Full body...he said but you always work full body....I could go into a 60 minute spill about protein synthesis and training frequency and etc....but I just said...yeah full body is convient!</div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">he said but you always work full body....I could go into a 60 minute spill about protein synthesis and training frequency and etc....but I just said...yeah full body is convient! </div>

Joe, I hear you. Just about every day I am at the gym, I go through that.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 08 2007,08:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought home motivation might be a problem for me, but it's all in how you look at it. I focus on &quot;this is MY time, MY gym, MY music, MY day, MY lifts, MY giant protein/carbo shake.&quot; Like, SF, it's all there for ME, when I want it. I have no excuses for not doing anything; there's no waiting. My equipment is good and solid, is modified to suit ME, and no one can tell me to turn down the metal. (even my wife likes it)
I have a 7-visit drop-in card for my local gym, but when I go there, even though there are big dogs hittin' the iron, it doesn't motivate me much since I don't pay attention to anything but my workout anyway.
I want to get a t-shirt that says, &quot;I'm just here to kick my @ss!&quot; I don't really go to socialize, even though I'm a very social person. I just feel like anything that gets in the way of my workout is hampering my growth or maintenance, so I talk afterward if they want. I don't go very often; no need to.</div>
I concur, I've trained in gyms (both fluffy and hard core) , at home alone and at home with a partner. I prefer (and maintain a higher level of intensity) it to be just me, the weights, and the relaxing strains of some Judas Preist tickling my ears. I may be wired funny but the complete isolation allows a higher degree of focus for me ... besides my local gyms probably would frown upon my &quot;naked lifting&quot; days
biggrin.gif

i say whatever you feel is best for you is what you should be doing.
ive done most options over the years. home alone, home w/partner, gym alone and gym w/partner. all have there postitives and negs. currently im at the gym alone and i like it, a partner once in a while would be nice (easy, consistant spot) but i never have to modify my w/o for them, so thats nice. i definitely prefer the gym to home but thats me. i can see why others prefer home.

the only thing i dont support is condemning one or the other if you havent tried it.

Back