Avoiding CNS Fatigue: different percentages of max weights throughout the week?

Weeqay

Hi guys,

I've been lifting consistently throughout the last year and managed to increase my big lifts (squats, deadlifts, weighted pullups and w. dips) by 10-30 kg in the last 6 months and am now able to lift my bodyweight x 1.2-1.6 depending on the exercise, which makes me a pretty happy lifter :).
Now I've looked through my log and found that for the most part I've only managed to effectively work on my maxes for about 1 or 2 weeks at a time. After these, I've usually had a short period of SD and then a couple of weeks of training up to my maxes again, then back to SD and so on...Now that wasn't always a conscious choice but often times it was to avoid CNS fatigue and overtraining and while it certainly worked so far, I was wondering if I could structure my workout differently. I was planning to introduce a scheme much like the following:
on Mondays I would work with roughly 90-95% of my max weights without increasing the number of reps;
on Wednesdays I would work on my maxes, i.e. either increase the weight or the reps for the respective movements;
on Fridays I would work with roughly 80-85% of my max weights, again, without increasing the reps..

The idea is to work more effectively on my max lifts without taxing the CNS too much and since studies have shown that you don't need to work with your max weights/train to failure to achieve hypertrophy, I thought it might be a good idea to try something like that. Basically I would have a set day per week on which I would train with my maximum weights and I would spend my Mondays working towards that goal and my Fridays recovering from the strain..So yeah, my goal is to further increase my max weights up to a point that I personally find satisfactory.
Do you guys think it could make sense to structure my routine like that? When do you think I should go for a period of SD when applying this structure? And how should I begin training afterwards? Simply start with e.g. 75% and slowly go back up to 100% and return to the inner-week cycle?

Thanks in advance :)

some additional info about me:
I have been on a full body routine this last year and I absolutely love it. My routine is as follows: squats/deadlifts (alternating Mondays and Fridays, I can see how working with my max weights might become an issue with these 2 lifts -.-), benchpress, weighted pullups, weighted dips, bent-over rows and standing shoulder press.
I usually perform a couple of warm-up sets, then do one set of 4-6 reps with max effort going (close) to failure (when I hit 6 or 7 reps, I would up the weight) + some cluster reps from time to time, then lower the weight roughly 10-25% and do a second set without going to failure.
I have tried different split routines and found that I don't particularly like them.
My diet is more or less okayish I guess :D I'm on IF and I do get my protein and veggies but I also like some sugary stuff from time to time...

I would say trying to 'fool' your CNS is something that's already been addressed by the various lifting/periodization schemes, and you may as well go with one of the classics. Strength being neuromuscular in nature, you're going to have to push your CNS at some point, and take a break. Personally I'd recommend Madcow's advanced 5X5 with the Deload/Peak or Pure Deload phases. I set them up in a spreadsheet and would switch from one phase to the other when I felt necessary.

Back