'bad' knee's and squatting frequency

I

imported_hod001

Hello friends,

I have a question but I'll briefly introduce myself first: I considder myself a beginner BBer- I have actually been working out for 1.5years using conventional BB programs, but during that time I gained only like 5lbs. I just did 1 HST cycle for my upper body and gained as much in those 6 weeks as I did in 1.5 years using the conventional style.

I've had some injuries on the way and the worst was my knees. Around 8 months ago they starting hurting a lot and popping. I now think that this was due to 2 factors,
1) bad deadlift form as my hamstrings are VERY inflexible and
2) too heavy paralell squats.

I stopped working legs for 6months, untill 2months ago, where I started doing full squats and hyperextensions using weights I can get 12 reps with (which is very light) using a frequency of 2times/week. My knees don't really hurt much anymore, I can squat fine without pain, but there's still some kind of uncomfortable feeling... they still definately don't feel 100% healthy and they still make a lot of popping noise.

I want to use the HST principles for legs now too using the full squat and hyperextenions, just 1 set of each.
Now my actual question: Should I work my legs 2 or 3 times a week? I am afraid that squatting too frequently might aggravate my knees again. Do you guys think my fear is justified and I should take it easy, or am I just being paranoid and should I work legs 3times/week?

ps. I don't want to alternate squats with leg press or another leg exercise, because the leg press at my gym sucks, can't really go below paralell with it.

If anecdotal evidence is a good way to gauge anything, I'd say you'll be fine squatting three times a week. In fact, if you're squatting properly (shoulder-width stance, @$$ to floor, driving through heels, staying upright) then you should find your knees hurting less and less. Just start with the weight very light. Nevermind, you'll have to during the 15's.

Anyone I've ever talked to with knee problems didn't squat all the way down. Once they started, they had no more knee problems.

Also, maybe look into picking up the book Core Performance by Mark Verstegen. It's a good read. Honestly, I'd go to the book store and just memorie the "movement prep" part of the book. Those stretches are wonderful for increasing flexibility. Once you learn 'em, you can do the warmup quick, too.

I would definitely work on some flexibility, if I were you. And ease into the squats. You may want to use lighter weight for the squats for a while as you get used to 3 times a week. Also, LISTEN to your body. If your knees start complaining too much, back off from the squats. If it gets too bad, go see a doctor. You don't want to permenantly mess up anything.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I've tried a lot getting more flexible but nothing seems to work for me. I've done Korean Karate for 4 years and even stretching every day never did anything. Eventually I quit because I felt I could never get the flexibility needed. The stretching in that book you suggest Chthonian, is it something different than conventional stretching?

Naturally I'll start very light, and I'll back off if it starts hurting. Btw about my squat form: I think it's correct- I do drive through heels, and move my knees forward as little as possible. I do however use a fairly wide squat stance, quite a bit more that shoulderwidth but not as wide as sumo, kind of in between. This goes with my toes pointed out a little more (and knees too ofcourse).
Shoulder-width makes me lean forward too much which puts a lot of stress on my back. I assume that this the fairly wide stance I use isn't any worse for my knees than a shoulder-width stance, or is it?

It's not typical static stretching, which can prove ineffective for increasing flexibility and mobility long-term. It's a form of active stretching, in which you stretch and contract the muscle through a range of motion. An example is the hand walk, which is pretty popular with athletes. You palm the floor (or get as close to) with your hands in front of your feet. Then you keep your heels planted to the ground and walk your hands out and away from you. I do this until my heels are inevitably going to rise from the floor. From there, you take baby ankle steps (don't bend at your knees or hips) to walk your feet back up to your hands.

I've always been pretty flexible, but the exercises are great for someone trying to increase their flexibility. Also, PNF stretching is the quickest way currently known to increase range of motion, and this is essentially its brother.

Also, you can only get so flexible with squats. Try buying a pair of olympic lifting shoes. Better yet, squat once in dress shoes. If they're anything like mine, they'll have a raised wooden heel that allows you to sit back, keeping your back more upright, avoiding any extra chance of injury.

Back