BBG's 1st HST CYCLE

Hey bbg - if I could make a quick suggestion...

For the sets in which you can't get all of the required reps in before you have to stop the set due to fatigue, cluster the remaining reps with a spotter (if available). I think you'll see an amazing difference in terms of your overall progress through the cycle, especially in the upper rep ranges.

Very nice progress thus far! Enjoy the 5's!

Hey bbg - if I could make a quick suggestion...

For the sets in which you can't get all of the required reps in before you have to stop the set due to fatigue, cluster the remaining reps with a spotter (if available). I think you'll see an amazing difference in terms of your overall progress through the cycle, especially in the upper rep ranges.

Very nice progress thus far! Enjoy the 5's!

Thanks tim! Next cycle i'll remember that :D
Do you think I should do that as well on the last 2 weeks? Because i'm not gonna do negatives, so should I stick to 5s increasing the weight and doing cluster reps or decrease the reps and increase the sets??

Starting 5s! I'm dropping the calf raises from workout A and the weighted crunches from workout B and i'll be doing an extra high-rep set on the end of all exercises.

5s - WEEK 1 - WORKOUT 1 (MONDAY)

- Sumo Deadlift: 61 kg x 5 / 61 kg x 5 / 61 kg x 5 / 51 kg x 13
- Military Press: 33 kg x 5 / 33 kg x 5 / 33 kg x 5 / 25 kg x 12
- Assisted Pullups: BW - 15 kg x 5 / BW - 15 kg x 5 / BW - 15 kg x 5 / BW - 30 kg x 13
- Dips: BW + 10 kg x 5 / BW + 10 kg x 5 / BW + 10 kg x 5 / BW x 11
- Weighted Crunches: BW x 10 + 18 kg x 5 / BW x 10 + 18 kg x 5 / BW x 10 + 18 kg x 5 (Started with no weight for 10 reps and did the last 5 ones weighted)

If you're not going to do negatives, switch to a smaller rep target and keep the loads increasing - IF your CNS is still in tact. Perhaps do a week or two of 3's, then 2's, then singles. Pay very close attention to how you feel throughout; if you become very sluggish, or loads feel insanely heavy during warmup sets, your CNS is becoming very fatigued and SD should follow rather quickly.

The whole thing about an HST cycle is that by the end, you should feel good and ready for a rest. So, if by the end of your 5's you still have gas in the tank, switch to triples and keep increasing the loads. I wouldn't take the low-rep sets to a place where clustering is needed. Keep the loads in a range that test your strength, but not in a way that induces failure. That goes against one of the core principles of HST.

I wasn't able to workout yesterday cos I had a ****load of tests on college and had to study so I worked out today.

5s - WEEK 1 - WORKOUT 2 (THURSDAY)

- Squat: 65 kg x 5 / 65 kg x 5 / 65 kg x 5 / 51 kg x 13
- Bench Press: 59 kg x 5 / 59 kg x 5 / 59 kg x 5 / 39 kg x 15
- Barbell Row: 53 kg x 5 / 53 kg x 5 / 53 kg x 5 / 41 kg x 15
- Seated Dumbell Press: 18 kg x 5 / 18 kg x 5 / 18 kg x 5
- Barbell Curl: 25 kg x 5 / 25 kg x 5 / 25 kg x 5 / 17 kg x 12

5s - WEEK 1 - WORKOUT 3 (SATURDAY)

- Sumo Deadlift: 69 kg x 5 / 69 kg x 5 / 69 kg x 5 / 51 kg x 12
- Military Press: 39 kg x 5 / 39 kg x 5 / 39 kg x 5 / 29 kg x 10
- Assisted Pullups: BW - 10 kg x 5 / BW - 10 kg x 5 / BW - 10 kg x 5 / BW - 25 kg x 10
- Dips: BW + 13 kg x 5 / BW + 13 kg x 5 / BW + 13 kg x 5
- Weighted Crunches: 0 x 10 + 22 kg x 5 / 0 x 10 + 22 kg x 5 / 0 x 10 + 22 kg x 5

Feeling some pain on my left triceps lately, i think it is from the dips.

5s - WEEK 2 - WORKOUT 4 (TUESDAY)

- Squat: 73 kg x 5 / 73 kg x 5 / 73 kg x 5
- Bench Press: 65 kg x 5 / 65 kg x 5 / 65 kg x 5
- Barbell Row: 61 kg x 5 / 61 kg x 5 / 61 kg x 5
- Seated Dumbell Press: 20 kg x 5 / 20 kg x 5 / 20 kg x 5
- Barbell Curl: 29 kg x 5 / 29 kg x 5 / 29 kg x 5

Pain on left triceps still persists, i think the fatigue from the high frequency is accumulating

5s - WEEK 2 - WORKOUT 5 (THURSDAY)

- Sumo Deadlift: 77 kg x 5 / 77 kg x 5 / 77 kg x 5 / 51 kg x 12
- Military Press: 43 kg x 5 / 43 kg x 5 / 43 kg x 5
- Assisted Pullups: BW - 5 kg x 5 / BW - 5 kg x 5 / BW - 5 kg x 5 / BW - 20 kg x 10
- Dips: BW + 14 kg x 5 / BW + 14 kg x 5 / BW + 14 kg x 5
- Weighted Crunches: 0 x 10 + 24 kg x 5 / 0 x 10 + 24 kg x 5 / 0 x 10 + 24 kg x 5

5s - WEEK 2 - WORKOUT 6 (SATURDAY)

- Squat: 81 kg x 5 / 81 kg x 5 / 81 kg x 5
- Bench Press: 73 kg x 5 / 73 kg x 5 / 73 kg x 5
- Barbell Row: 67 kg x 5 / 67 kg x 5 / 67 kg x 5
- Barbell Curl: 33 kg x 5 / 33 kg x 5 / 33 kg x 5

Finished the 5s today.
I skipped the seated dumbell press, as I'm still feeling some pain on my left triceps, but during the bench presses i felt it a little plus some new pain on my left side of the chest and during the squats and barbell rows my lower back felt weird as well...didn't feel very well after the workout today. I think i'm starting to overreach, maybe it's time for an SD soon, but i'm gonna try to go for one more week of 3s and I'll see how I feel.

I've been already thinking of what to do after this HST cycle, even though I really liked it and gained 2kg so far i feel like i'm too weak, i need more strength. Does anybody have suggestions?
I've been brainstorming about it, reading about Starting Strength, Texas Method, 5/3/1, etc.

I've been already thinking of what to do after this HST cycle, even though I really liked it and gained 2kg so far i feel like i'm too weak, i need more strength. Does anybody have suggestions?
I've been brainstorming about it, reading about Starting Strength, Texas Method, 5/3/1, etc.

Hey bbg - I went back and read your first post in your log and it sorta said it all to me. If you've really only had one year of productive workouts, it's going to take time to get to where you want to be. No matter what you choose to do, it'll be another step forward in the big picture.

I think you'd do well following an HST cycle with a 5/3/1 cycle, especially since you worked with the rep ranges this cycle. BUT - I would be more apt to tell you to do another HST cycle. Now that you know the protocol and have gotten through one, step it up a bit and go again after your SD. I truly think you'll very pleased with the results - both in terms of strength and size. On the other hand, if you need to do something new, my vote is 5/3/1.

Hey bbg - I went back and read your first post in your log and it sorta said it all to me. If you've really only had one year of productive workouts, it's going to take time to get to where you want to be. No matter what you choose to do, it'll be another step forward in the big picture.

I think you'd do well following an HST cycle with a 5/3/1 cycle, especially since you worked with the rep ranges this cycle. BUT - I would be more apt to tell you to do another HST cycle. Now that you know the protocol and have gotten through one, step it up a bit and go again after your SD. I truly think you'll very pleased with the results - both in terms of strength and size. On the other hand, if you need to do something new, my vote is 5/3/1.

Thanks tim. I've been reading about 5/3/1 and really liked the approach but it seems like a more advanced program even though it's super simple and i thought i could have faster progression on something like the Texas Method. Do you think I could still manage about the same gains on 5/3/1? I know it sounds like I'm in a hurry to get strong and I know it takes time but I think I could be stronger looking at my lifts: (Especially on Squat and Deadlifts):

5 RM
Squats: About 84 kg (185 lbs)
Deadlifts: About 84 kg (185 lbs)
Bench Press: 74 kg (162 lbs)
Military Press: 44 kg (97 lbs)

The squats I'm kind of estimating since I got a little bit stronger on HST but haven't tested my 5RM
The deadlifts i started doing them sumo-style on HST as in the past I've tried the normal way and was never able to progress well cos for some reason i felt pain in my lower back, seemed like my body was not good for them, now on sumo-style I've been progressing better.
My bench press and military press are a lot stronger in relation to the other lifts.

But anyway, I was thinking about doing something more strength-size focused for a few cycles then going back to HST.

I see your point, bbg. I need to ask you a couple questions...

1) What are your physical stats - height, weight, age?
2) What is your PRIMARY ultimate goal from lifting - strength, size, health, etc?
3) You said in your last workout post that you were starting to feel fatigue - is that happening in all of your major muscle groups?
4) What do you feel is your weakest lift, and why?

I see your point, bbg. I need to ask you a couple questions...

1) What are your physical stats - height, weight, age?
2) What is your PRIMARY ultimate goal from lifting - strength, size, health, etc?
3) You said in your last workout post that you were starting to feel fatigue - is that happening in all of your major muscle groups?
4) What do you feel is your weakest lift, and why?

1) I'm 5'7, 72kg (158 lbs), 19 years old
2) Size and strength
3) The fatigue i felt mostly on squats in my lower back, squating and deadlifting on that frequency is probably the reason. My left triceps was hurting from a few sessions ago i don't know why exactly but i imagine they originated from the dips + the high frequency on that muscle, and since my pressing movements (dips, bench, overhead) are stronger in comparison to other lifts that might be contributing too. Also i felt some pain on the left side of the chest during bench presses.
4) I feel my weakest lift is the deadlift. Probably because i didn't have too much consistency, for some training cycles i used to cut it out, and during some cycles i did it. I started really doing them when i did Madcow intermediate about 1 year ago and i felt the same kind of fatigue on my lower back, that came from squating heavy monday and friday, and then deadlifting on wednesday. Also as I said before, when I started HST i tried sumo deadlifts and they seem to fit my body better.

OK! The one thing that comes to mind based on your responses is that I think you need something simple training-wise. Simple reason being that I think you need to take a couple months and focus 110% on form. Take the loads down to levels that you consider to be moderately easy - where you can study your form implicitly. Low back fatigue certainly can be caused by squat and deadlift frequency - but the biggest culprit there is form. Same thing with your left side fatigue in pressing movements; perhaps you are favoring your left and putting uneven stress on your triceps and pecs. I think maybe you take a month to do this - study your core lifts and progress the loads as you are able to with good form. Strength and size comes from correctly applying stress to muscle tissue without compromising the joints or supporting tissue around it (and eating right, getting enough sleep, etc.). Simply put, that's where form comes in. If you haven't, read Rippetoe's book Starting Strength and follow the program that he outlines after you've done the form study. That more than anything may change your luck in the gym. Plus, at your age, now is the time to solidify good habits in the gym.

OK! The one thing that comes to mind based on your responses is that I think you need something simple training-wise. Simple reason being that I think you need to take a couple months and focus 110% on form. Take the loads down to levels that you consider to be moderately easy - where you can study your form implicitly. Low back fatigue certainly can be caused by squat and deadlift frequency - but the biggest culprit there is form. Same thing with your left side fatigue in pressing movements; perhaps you are favoring your left and putting uneven stress on your triceps and pecs. I think maybe you take a month to do this - study your core lifts and progress the loads as you are able to with good form. Strength and size comes from correctly applying stress to muscle tissue without compromising the joints or supporting tissue around it (and eating right, getting enough sleep, etc.). Simply put, that's where form comes in. If you haven't, read Rippetoe's book Starting Strength and follow the program that he outlines after you've done the form study. That more than anything may change your luck in the gym. Plus, at your age, now is the time to solidify good habits in the gym.

Thanks again Tim! I've been reading Rippetoe's Practical Programming and I think if I do the Starting Strength program I'll stall quickly, wouldn't it be better to do some intermediate program? I've been thinking about doing the advanced novice program or the Texas Method.
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/After_Starting_Strength

Thanks again Tim! I've been reading Rippetoe's Practical Programming and I think if I do the Starting Strength program I'll stall quickly, wouldn't it be better to do some intermediate program?
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/After_Starting_Strength

Hey bbg - I really do hope that my advice works for you. I was in a similar boat about 10 years back, and can definitely relate. Bear in mind - I'm not suggesting that you start anything until you do the form study. I started thinking about it, and I think 8's are a good rep target for this. This is what I'm thinking...

Monday:
Bench, Squats, Rows - your choice, preferably BB

Tuesday:
Light Cardio, Ab work (assistance)

Wednesday:
Rest, stretch, yoga, whatever - no cardio or strength work.

Thursday:
Deadlifts, Chins (or pulldowns), DB or BB OH (standing) Press

Friday:
Light cardio, Low back work - either reverse hypers or SLDL (stiff legged deadlift)

Start at 65% or your 10RM, and do 3 sets of 8 for all lifts. For pressing movements, pause the reps. Google a bit for reference if you're unfamiliar. Progress SLOWLY. Focus on form - be deliberate in your movement.

The low back work should only be done for assistance (like the ab work). The loads should be light enough that your low back won't be completely dead after the week - so you should be able to give your lumbar region a good amount of work. This may pay massive dividends for you as time goes on.

Do the above for 4 weeks, and see how you feel. See what you come to learn about your form and how each movement feels. If by the end of 4 weeks you feel that you could start to make a bigger progression, you could move to 6's. Two weeks later, if your CNS is still good and you're not sensing fatigue, switch to 4's. Do two weeks of 4's and then call it quits.

What'cha think?

Hey bbg - I really do hope that my advice works for you. I was in a similar boat about 10 years back, and can definitely relate. Bear in mind - I'm not suggesting that you start anything until you do the form study. I started thinking about it, and I think 8's are a good rep target for this. This is what I'm thinking...

Monday:
Bench, Squats, Rows - your choice, preferably BB

Tuesday:
Light Cardio, Ab work (assistance)

Wednesday:
Rest, stretch, yoga, whatever - no cardio or strength work.

Thursday:
Deadlifts, Chins (or pulldowns), DB or BB OH (standing) Press

Friday:
Light cardio, Low back work - either reverse hypers or SLDL (stiff legged deadlift)

Start at 65% or your 10RM, and do 3 sets of 8 for all lifts. For pressing movements, pause the reps. Google a bit for reference if you're unfamiliar. Progress SLOWLY. Focus on form - be deliberate in your movement.

The low back work should only be done for assistance (like the ab work). The loads should be light enough that your low back won't be completely dead after the week - so you should be able to give your lumbar region a good amount of work. This may pay massive dividends for you as time goes on.

Do the above for 4 weeks, and see how you feel. See what you come to learn about your form and how each movement feels. If by the end of 4 weeks you feel that you could start to make a bigger progression, you could move to 6's. Two weeks later, if your CNS is still good and you're not sensing fatigue, switch to 4's. Do two weeks of 4's and then call it quits.

What'cha think?

Well I don't think I have form problems except maybe on the deadlifts, but anyway I'm probably gonna give Texas Method a go and start out lighter focusing on form and increase the loads weekly so that in about 4 weeks I'm back to my normal weights, and then finally start making PRs. Right now I'm gonna finish my HST cycle doing 3s for 2 more weeks and I'm gonna cut out the acessory exercises and focus on the basics for about 5 sets of 3. As I'm gonna travel next Thursday and stay away for a week I can start my SD and then plan my next cycle. And thanks one more time Tim for the sugestions :D

3s - WEEK 1 - WORKOUT 1 (TUESDAY)

Sumo Deadlift:
- 65 kg x 3
- 65 kg x 3
- 65 kg x 3
- 65 kg x 3
- 65 kg x 3

Military Press:
- 35 kg x 3
- 35 kg x 3
- 35 kg x 3
- 35 kg x 3
- 35 kg x 3

Assisted Pullups:
- BW - 5 kg x 3
- BW - 5 kg x 3
- BW - 5 kg x 3
- BW - 5 kg x 3
- BW - 5 kg x 3
- BW - 30 kg x 15

Weighted Crunches:
- 0 x 12 + 20 kg x 3 + 0 x 12 + 20 kg x 3 + 0 x 12 (All done without pause)
- 20 kg x 3
- 20 kg x 3
- 20 kg x 3 + 0 x 12

I cut out the dips to see if my triceps gets better now, during the military presses I had no pain at all. On the sumo deadlifts I felt a little fatigue on lower back as I kept the rest between sets for only about 30 seconds - 1 minute.

3s - WEEK 1 - WORKOUT 2 (THURSDAY)

Squat:
- 71 kg x 3
- 71 kg x 3
- 71 kg x 3
- 71 kg x 3
- 71 kg x 3

Bench Press:
- 61 kg x 3
- 61 kg x 3
- 61 kg x 3
- 61 kg x 3