Beginner Hst Routine Review

DylanBuk

I read through the ebook and faqs and came up with this. I believe I adhered to all the principles but please let me know if there are any improvements I can make. (excuse the light weights :()HST.png

Welcome, exercise selection is good not sure if you need to do curls but if you do then do them after pull ups, in respect of pull ups why not do lat pull downs (if available ) during the 15s an 10s and do pull ups during the 5s until you can do more.

Why are you reducing down to 1 set in the 2nd week of each block, if it is because you do not think you can get the required number in the second set don't worry about that just do as many reps as you can.

Thanks for the response mickc1965,
I work out in my garage w/ free weights (plates and dumbells). No lat pull down so I thought pull ups would be the next best option...?

I read this in the FAQs: "I suggest you do 2 sets per exercise during the 15s. Then do 2 sets during the first week of 10s, and 1 set during the second week of 10s. Then do 2 sets during the first week of 5s, and finish doing one set (after warm ups of course) during the last week of 5s".

I did change the second week of 15's to 1 set because I wasn't sure I would be able to get all the reps, but I'll take your advice and go for 2 sets. Should I also change the second weeks of 10's and 5's to 2 sets?

I do two sets in all blocks and when I cannot get the required reps in the 2nd set I don't worry about it and I train 6 days per week.

I also train in my garage, you could buy resistance bands so you can do assisted pull ups but how you have set it out would be ok until you can do 15 reps at body weight then you could buy yourself a belt you can add weights to

Last edited:
Yup, you can waste a lot of time driving to the gym, especially when you live out in the boondocks. I can split my workout into AM/PM sessions with each one being only 20 minutes long so I don't get pooped out.

Last edited:
Been scouting equipment myself lately, but have to pay for wedding first ... might not have a bride if I do it the other way around :p

Is there enough progression overall? For example, if I do 2 sets of 10 of 145 bench at the end of the 4th week, then 2 sets of 5 of 165 at the end of the 6th week. Is 2 x 5 x 165 really a progression from 2 x 10 x 145?

Ok, I guess I was thinking of it in terms of total weight lifted - 2x10x145 = 2,900; 2x5x165 = 1,650. Which makes me think I am getting less of a workout on the sets of 5, than the sets of 10.

Hypertrophy is a result of fiber recruitment and not amount of work performed. Fiber recruitment is a factor of your % of 1 rep max that is being lifted and the number of reps performed.

Back