Best workout for shoulders/traps

I just do standing presses. Every once in a while I'll do lateral raises, or Db shoulder presses. I don't do anything for my traps except for deadlifts. Either that olympic lifting kick I was on a while ago did it, or I have genetics for it, but my traps are fairly big.

I've got decent traps and all I do for them are deadlifts. I think that should be sufficient for most guys.

<div>
(KungFuJoe @ Jun. 30 2006,19:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What do you guys do as your main exercises to build up shoulders/traps?</div>
Clean &amp; (Military) Press for the entire shoulder girdle.

Deadlifts to develop the traps - never mind the rest of the back!

When doing 15's and 10's I usually give a little &quot;shrug&quot; motion at the top of each Deadlift.

Daniel

My shoulders have been coming along nicely with Military Press. My traps aren't huge but they're coming up aswell. Used to to shrugs but I ran out of weight. I reckon I could shrug a small car if I tried hard enough!!
biggrin.gif

I reckon for max trap loading and therefore trap development, shrugs are worth doing. I can use more weight doing shrugs than I can deadlift. But deads are great so if you don't have the time or inclination to add shrugs just do a shrug after each rep of your deads (as Daniel mentioned).

If you do standing presses you can turn them into push presses during post-5s so you can add more weight and focus on the negative portion of the movement.

What's the diff between standing press and mil press?

And how do you do 5RM without a spotter or a power rack? I would think if you were lifting your 5RM, you wouldn't even be able to get it to your chin to start....

I used to follow my old shoulder routine with extra sets of upright rows and shrugs...back in the day.

A combination of doing upright rows followed by the shrug made my traps grow really fast!

A combination of doing upright rows followed by the shrug made my traps grow really fast

a superset?or you rest?

A combination of doing upright rows followed by the shrug made my traps grow really fast

a superset?or you rest?

a superset?or you rest?

a superset?or you rest?

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 30 2006,23:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've got decent traps and all I do for them are deadlifts. I think that should be sufficient for most guys.</div>
Diddo to Totentanz, but I have also done a lot of shrug work in the past. Now, I just stick to the deads.

Best combination for shoulders/traps:

Deadlifts
Military Press
Chins (CG and WG)

genetic factors have to be taken into account and to say deads only for traps isnt going to cut if for everyone my friend has huge legs/calves doesnt train em,it would take me years to get the development hes got.,shrugs,military,deads are all good,i also like to add the rears to get the ball shape on the shoulder and fully develope the shoulder.

Back