Best workout for shoulders/traps

Seated BB shoulder press (front) and heavy DB shrugs. I may add a shrug at the top of my deadlifts sometimes if I feel like it, too.

Seated BB shoulder press (front) and heavy DB shrugs. I may add a shrug at the top of my deadlifts sometimes if I feel like it, too.

imo, i think the main thing to remember is, like icars said, genetics play a significant role your ability to gain in these areas but (like many others said) basic compounds are the best place to start and stick with. bb/db press or cleans for delts and shrugs for traps should work fine for most. if after a number of cycles a certain muscle group lags i feel thats when extra work or diff exer need to be employed.

i never had much success with shrugs. something about them just never clicked with me and i was never able to really "feel" them once i got to serious wgt. i have had good results with "kelso" style shrugs though. basically a chest down on incline bench or t-row shrug. it took some time but ive finally found an exer that works traps for me.

again i think most would be fine with the above mentioned standard compounds for both delts and traps. only after a decent amount of time and effort with those exer can you really know if you need a change

genetically, my shoulders just don´t have it. I can do shoulder work ´till the cows come home, my shoulders are just not going to get any bigger. I stopped wasting my time a while back and only do standing overhead presses. My legs got the genetics going on, however, and the majority of my leg mass comes from biking. I only do light, full squats anymore otherwise they explode. I wish my shoulders had 1/10 the growth potential of my legs, but I´m an endurance biker so I guess it is all okay.

DB Laterals exploded my medial delts in no time. HST helps it to keep a nice full pump all week so they always stand out!
For Traps, I give them a lot of extra work doing close-grip cable rows. I let my arms hang fully extended just to make the minor movement of pulling my shoulder blades together and my shoulders up with a hard squeeze. The traps are huge muscles that extend angularly down to the middle of your back. I also incorporate burning out with DB shrugs.

Back