Can someone explain max-stim

cnegotiator

Ok so recently I have been seeing this a lot on the forum and I think I understand it... sort of. Can someone explain it to me.

I think it is, say, you do tris at extremely heavy weight, then do bis at low weight and rep? So what other body parts could you do that to?

Kind of confused!

Yes, check out the website.  Briefly it is new way of training for hypertrophy developed by Dan Moore which consists of doing one long set per exercise only you do one rep followed by a brief rest (5 seconds to 30 seconds or more) then do another rep followed by another brief rest, etc. until you have completed 20 reps.  The science is complicated and is fully explained in the website, but basically training this way allows you to workout with very heavy loads, combined with an adequate workload (20 reps) WITHOUT fatiguing your muscle, so you can complete more reps with the heavy load and recover more quickly from the workout.
For example some guys use weights as heavy as their 4 rep maximum at the end of their cycle and ARE STILL GETTING 20 REPS IN, USING MAX-STIMULATION REPS!!!

The M-time (Moore-time, hehehe
biggrin.gif
) can be less than 5 seconds (usually is) for the earlier phases. It only becomes 5 or more when loads get heavy, because then you just pause for how long it takes you to be able to complete the rep count.

It may seem it would kill the joints. But the rest periods seem to help in that. When you do 20 reps on your 4 RM, those 20 reps are spaced out into something like 5-10 seconds apart each rep, or even more. That's probably why it's less stressful to the joints, too. Not an expert in this, however. Tried it once, but it just makes the workout much longer than I can afford at the current state of my lifestyle. But given that this is from Dan, I'm sure it works great, and it's a shame I can't incorporate it in my training right now.

Regards,
-JV

Actually, max-stim as devised by Dan, uses undulating progression, much like HST. So often one is training at sub-max loads, the loads vary from 75% of your 10 rep max, all the way to 110% of your 6 rep max. It can be a little hard on your joints at the end of a cycle, but there is time built in to recover...and besides any program that involves loads heavy enough to stimulate decent hypertrophy and strength gains is going to have the risk-potential to inflame joints, etc. HST and any other serious lifitng program has the same risk-potential.

Ok so say i was doing biceps on my HST cycle.
Weeks 1 and 2 (15 rep weeks) i would do a curl, break 5 seconds, curl, break 5, curl etc etc
Weeks 2 and 3 (10 rep weeks) i would do a curl, break 10 seconds, break 10, curl etc etc
Weeks 4 and 5 (5 rep but heaviest weight/maxes) i would do a curl, break 30, do a curl, break 30, curl etc etc

Is that right? I know the numbers can be subed between 5 and 30 but i would break longer for heavier weight correct?

Yep...you got it Cneg.

In my opinion with free weights it is only suitable for some exercises, but in a leverage machine, the posiibilities are tremendous.

Joint pain? Well you get that from the negatives anyway ro eventually once the weights are fairly heavy!

It definitely has enormous potential and...yes...we should explore it...to get the obvious gains it can offer.

But man...go over to Dan's site and check it out! There are quite a few guys experimenting wit it, most of them pretty satisfied!

i tried it on curls the other week put the bar down on the bench after every rep.
rock.gif
should have seen the looks i was getting from the guy waiting for the ez bar
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Faz...that must have been hilarious...obviously theguy thought you were just doing it on purpose to perpetuate is suffering!
laugh.gif

I'm in the week 7 and 8 phase of my HST cycle right now. For bi's and tri's, instead of negs or 5rms, I'm using max stim. I'm curling weight that I couldn't do a regular set of 5 on. It's about my 4 or 3 rm. But with max stim, I'm doing 15 reps.

I've altered the max stim scheme a little though. I do 5 max stim reps with bicep curls, then 5 skull crushers. Like a super set, I guess.

<div>
(faz @ Jul. 28 2006,13:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">yeah every time i put it down he came to pick it up
biggrin.gif
</div>
Wait until you ask someone to spot you on the bench...not only will you get strange looks but probably angry ones too when they figure out they'll be spotting you for 5-10mins straight!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(robefc @ Jul. 28 2006,15:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(faz @ Jul. 28 2006,13:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">yeah every time i put it down he came to pick it up
biggrin.gif
</div>
Wait until you ask someone to spot you on the bench...not only will you get strange looks but probably angry ones too when they figure out they'll be spotting you for 5-10mins straight!  
biggrin.gif
</div>
haha thats why im not trying it yet mate..it would be good if like some of the guys on here you had your own equipment
biggrin.gif

I just read your posts Faz.
biggrin.gif
that's hilarious, I won't even bother quoting them, I'll just end up reapeating all your posts here.
biggrin.gif

I can already imagine the guy waiting for the EZ-bar, like what Fausto said, I think he thinks your doing it on purpose (annoying him), so I bet he's imagining he's killing you already with that bar you don't wanna give him
laugh.gif

I hope to give it a more serious and regular try, even if just for one exercise (bench, maybe?), as soon as my sked clears up.

haha good posts guys good posts.

yeah i use the smith machine during the summer (shoulder is messed up from sports so i cant stablize a bar for some reason, but dbs are ok) so i wont need to pester anyone to spot for me (i use dbs during the winter at school, so i dont adjust to doing one style and rack in the slight benefits of both).

However, there is only 1 smith machine, and if i am doing 20 reps of benching for flat, two sets. Then 2 sets of incline, 20 reps.THen 2 sets of mil, 20 reps ALL on max-stim, someone is going to be pissed haha Thats like half an hour for 6 sets! But i'll do it anyway haha
tounge.gif

This seems awesome. But how is this different from rest-pause training? Seems like an old concept w/a new name. Don't get me wrong, though. I think this would be KILLER for squatting.

cnegotiater - I use the smith machine for incline but you can just as easily use a standard benching bench for flat. Racking the weight each time might seem annoying but actually its fine, as long as you have the height of the supports set just below full arm extension.

I personally would only do 1 set of either flat or incline per workout max-stim style (that's 1/4th of your chest workload!).

Bionic - if you look on the max stim site Dan has posted on exactly that topic (why it's different to rest-pause training).

There is tons of information on there and obviously its also the best place to ask any questions you have.

Jvroig - I would advocate giving it a proper try (i.e. with all your exercises rather than one) to really see how it feels. Possibly alternate each session if you want to be cautious. I intended to do this but liked it so much I just changed all my sessions to max-stim style! I hear brandon routh did the same!!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

It's not that I want to be cautious. I just can't afford the time right now. It makes the workouts a little longer than I can afford. I can barely afford to workout as it is right now, I do my best to keep it 15mins to under 30 (max), doing everything with M-time is just gonna make sure it's longer.
sad.gif

Hopefully, when my sked clears, I'll be M-timing on a lot of exercises in my HST cycles.

2 things Robefc...Thanks and sorry!!!  HAHAHA!  Long-time lurker-HST proponent/New registered member here.  After I posted, it occurred to me to visit the site but couldn't because of work.  In the future, I'll make sure I research before wasting any space.  Damn NOOBS!!!!
biggrin.gif

Back