Can training with limited range of motion build

Ruhl

My tendons can't handle heavy weights. I thought shortening the range of motion in my exercises could enable me to lift heavier weights without getting injured. So I have been lifting heavier weights with a short range of motion on each exercise for a while now. I don't know if it's going to work though. Is it possible to build muscle with a very short range of motion? Would it be best to go back to lifting lighter weights with a full range of motion?

well, the important thing is that the range of motion you use is at det most stretched part. And, ehm, most important is off course that you dont feel any pain- so whatever you have to do in order to get an workout done, whichever range of motion...

i would suggest lowering the weight and strengthening your tendons unless ofcourse you have a medical condition(as to why your tendons cant take it),i had a friend who only used short range of motion didnt do him any good although he could bicep curl twice as much as me(i call it cheating) i believe you need to use full range of motion to recruit more muscle fibres and to lenghten the muscles,or you could end up with limited movement yourself(picture someone in a plaster cast trying to touch their toes),good luck!

I absolutely agree, my suggestion is of course if you cant "get there" with lower weights and working the full ROM. I mysef tore my hamstring a couple of years ago, now I squat 200 punds paralell without any pain. For some movements it hurt at one point no matter the range of motion or weight, for those you just work the range of motion that doesent hurt. For all other movements, ( at least I did), you reduce the weight and do more reps in full ROM. :D

if the weight is heavy enough, the range of motion can be reduced but still cause hypertrophy if you keep incrementing the weights, but I think it's subjective you how heavy you need to go while reducing range of motion. So yes, you can gain lean mass following HST principles with short range of motion

I would recommend that you use full ROM with whatever weight that applies to.

You'll get stronger eventually (muscles and connective tissue).

You might be suited to DKM's routine over on his website - more so than HST.

Back