Can you hurt yourself...

suprarob

...deadlifting? Some say yes and some say no. And I mean using decent form. I have heard some people have done internal damage deadlifting. Is this true?
Thanks,Rob.

PS:Anyone have a dirct link to a video of someone doing a deadlift in perfect form???

i have heard that heavy consistant dead lifting can cause excessive micro trauma to the spinal muscles and tendons.but i have never encountered this myself.

i used to dead lift 3 times per week,1 set each day and found my lifts went from strength to strength.

i suppose if you were using bad form then id definitley say damage can be done.

My brother started deadlifting, and unfortunately did so with pretty bad form, unknowingly.

Because he was rounding his back, and consistently did so for months, he eventually pulled a back muscle really badly.

Enough to make even walking around, and sleeping painful. Now he knows better
smile.gif

If you aren't sure about your deadlift form I'd have someone who knows what they are doing spot you/give you feedback on your form before you start going too heavy on the lifts.

Bottom line, I'd start out light, and make sure you have your form down and then work up from there.

Keep your back straight.

bad form = bad back

in my opinion, if you check your ego and work on form before attempting relatively heavy weights...deadlifts are no more dangerous (and probably less so) than anything else we do in life.

Interesting guys. Any links to great form. Any more comments appreciated also!
Rob.

PS:I LOVE deadlifts!!! They are the bomb for gains!

Deadlifts have more potential for injury than many other lifts because of the loads that you can handle once you are sufficiently well trained. Steve Jones' injury came when he was pushing pretty hard and the loads were high (around 800lbs). I think at that level you have to be prepared for things to start going 'pop'.

For the rest of us that are not stressing our bodies to that level, there are several things we can do to reduce the possibility of injury:

Get your form right and don't push to the point of total fatigue as this is where form drops off. If you feel your lower back start to give up the ghost don't go for that extra rep.

For proper deadlift form, always put the bar down and reset between reps rather than doing 'touch and go' reps. 'Touch and go' is not evil but you are more likely to sustain an injury once the loads are high because you are effectively bouncing out of the bottom position and you can more easily allow fatigue to spoil your form, often placing additional stress on your lower back.

Even if you do everything correctly, injury is always a possibility once you are at your 5RM or higher. However, because so many muscle groups are working together to effect the lift through their strong range of motion, it is a pretty rare occurrence.

Up to this point, I haven't suffered a single injury from deadlifting, even though I have pushed to find my 1RM on several occasions now.

Yeah, I've pushed for max singles a lot on deads and never suffered an injury thus far. But everything is going to be a dangerous. Heck, you could even hurt yourself doing curls, so...

One thing the trainer/owner told me when I was using too much back too early was that I couldn't fix it with that much weight on. (near max) In other words, to correct a form issue, you drop the weight and retrain yourself from there.

Pulling earlier with your back isn't exactly bad form. It's certainly not dangerous anyway, it just places the load elsewhere.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 27 2007,21:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, I've pushed for max singles a lot on deads and never suffered an injury thus far.  But everything is going to be a dangerous.  Heck, you could even hurt yourself doing curls, so...</div>
good point, I have even seen guys hurt there back doing almost nothing. One plumber at work, just twisted wrong one day just simply walking and hit the floor in back spasms, probably the result of chronic issues.
I think guys who lift are far LESS likely to have injuries as they are stengthening the body as a habit. ALWAYS USE GOOD FORM.

Between spinal disks, there is a donut shaped cushion with a liquid filling the hole. An injury can occur if the pressure is higher to one side. The donut is pushed to the other side. If the pressure is sufficient, the donut cushion can rupture and allow the liquid to escape. Mostly, it will lodge itself between the spinal disks and the spinal cord creating a hernia. So yes, you can injure yourself lifting a dead weight off the floor.

Proper technique calls for a flat lower back and a high abdominal pressure (inhale, hold your breath and contract the abdominal muscles) to stabilize the torso and thus prevent injury.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Get your form right and don't push to the point of total fatigue as this is where form drops off.</div>
Solid advice from Lol, as always. I think it's important not to push that much for that extra rep at the end of the set, especially with full body exercises, like deadlifts and squats. When the loads are heavy, I generally prefer to cluster my reps and not go all out to complete the set.

HST advises to always leave one rep or two in the tank in order to minimize fatigue. But this also has the added benefit that one can use better form throughout the set. I remember Bryan himself mentioning in another thread that problems start to arise when the biggest and stronger muscles fatigue and so smaller and weaker muscles have to take over (form breakdown in other words, due to fatigue). Just imagine what would happen if the weight you use for your legs were transferred (even partially) to another muscle group.

As I stated above, I prefer to cluster heavily when the weights are really heavy (generally post-5's). So far, this approach has worked for me and I haven't suffered any serious injuries yet.

Regards,
Dimitris

<div>
(javacody @ Jul. 28 2007,22:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ronnie Coleman does 800 pound deadlifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlI-N1b-ZK8</div>
If it's true that Coleman injured his back (lat) prior to last year's Olympia, anyone know if it was sustained while deadlifting?

If you watch his deadlifting vids you will see that he does have pretty good form and although he uses the 'touch and go' approach he never continues to the point where fatigue compromises his form. He could most likely have attempted and managed another rep with 800lbs but I think his form would have started to suffer. The second rep is slower to lock out so he stops there.

I'm a bit new to deadlifts and I've been keeping the weight on the lower end to ensure my form is good.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but the deadlifts in the two youtube videos didn't have the best form...right?

I've been trying to copy this form to the best of my ability
Deadlift

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

The exrx form is okay. If you haven't seen Shaf's deadlift comparison video, you should check it out:

Deadlift Comparison

He shows a side view of three forms of deadlift, one being conventional deadlift. It's a lot clearer than the exrx video, in my opinion.

Note the flat lower back in all examples. One common aspect of all types of deadlift is the load concentration on the lower spinal disks hence the need for proper spinal alignment there.

Back