Can you SD some muscles while working others?

jww13

Could you SD your legs while still working upper body? Then start legs again w/ upper body, then SD upper and continue working lower? (just stagger them so you don't have to stop working out)

thanks

That would seem hard to do unless you are not using most of the major exercises (squats, deadlifts, rows, etc)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ Mar. 13 2005,10:40)]That would seem hard to do unless you are not using most of the major exercises (squats, deadlifts, rows, etc)
Why?
You could work only upper body and avoid leg exercises like squats, leg press, calf raises, SLDL, leg curls, leg extensions.

Then when you are SD'ing your upper body, work only legs.

Anyways, just wondering...

I'm pretty sure it's able to be done if you avoid the big compund exercises - squats, deads, cleans.

Just use machine rows I think.

Interesting idea but wouldn`t you be limiting your growth or put another way, growing less efficiently? You could switch between upper/lower every 2 or 3 weeks and grow but you have still have plenty of pontential weeks left to continue your growth through progressive loading. In addition, after a 2 or 3 week SD the first week or maybe even 2 would be spent letting muscle memory get you back to your pre SD state after which you would only have a week or so to grow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jww13 @ Mar. 14 2005,1:56)]Why?
You could work only upper body and avoid leg exercises like squats, leg press, calf raises, SLDL, leg curls, leg extensions.
Then when you are SD'ing your upper body, work only legs.
Anyways, just wondering...
That's almost impossible, in my opinion. Go to exrx and look at what muscles exercises like deadlifts, squats, etc all use. They are called compound exercises for a reason.
So even if you only did squats, deads or whatever when you were doing lower body, it's still going to recruit some muscles from your upper body (how are you holding the weight - with your arms)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heavy Duty dude @ Mar. 14 2005,10:02)]Well you can do leg extensions, leg curl, seated calf raises and calf extension on the leg machine.. those don't need the upper body.
Yeah... but you'd have to be insane to neglect the big exercises like squats or deadlifts. Really, you'd only be hurting your potential for gains by following any sort of plan like this. The point of HST is _fullbody_ workouts 3x a week.

Sure it could be done and it was aksed a while back.
The biggest problems would be truly SDing the non working parts.

Deads/Squats/Bent Rows/Military Press even BB curls still load the parts you are trying not to work. Granted you could use machines for everything but how much fun is that.  :D

Secondly is the aspect of PS, while you are training the upper the lower isn't, therefore not growing, or the inverse.

I did leg presses and hamstring curls instead of squats and deadlifts in my current cycle. After my 5RM workout, I did a workout with squats and DL (75% of 5RM) and the DOMS was insane. I couldn't climb stairs properly for a few days. So although I was training my legs they responded to these exercises like I would have been deconditioned.
I'll be including these two exercises in all my cycles in the future, they're just superior to everything else :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Secondly is the aspect of PS, while you are training the upper the lower isn't, therefore not growing, or the inverse.
sorry what is the PS exactely?
regards
hannes

Protein Synthesis, protein synthetic rates are dependant on molecular and enzymatic signalling to tell the mRNA to start building proteins, the signals are based on loading or metabolic demand, without them the net PS is diminished in the non worked tissue. Therefore not working your upper or lower for any given amount of time will decrease the PS in the non worked tissue. So in essence you would be giving your non worked tissue a two month SD if working your cycle at eight weeks.

Back