chest shrinking

jwbond

i have been very pleased with hst thus far, I started the first day of my 10s yesterday...I have been cutting since I started and have droped 5-6 lbs while losing no strength (as far as I can tell anyway)

My arms look fuller and my stomach is flatter (middle abs are begining to peak through the fat ;)) my problem is that my chest seems to be shrinking, something I would expect since I am cutting, but I figured it would start to look bigger even though it was actually smaller due to being more cut.

I was thinking about throwing in a superset of some db flies after my incline bench. my routine is as follows:

dips
squats
inner pulldowns
incline bench
stiff legged deads
rows
shoulder press
shrugs
bb curls
skull crushers
calve raises

any expericened hst members want to chime in? I have been lifting for 5 years and I would say the pecs are the most developed part.

This is going to sound stupid but, you are cutting, if through reduced caloric intake don't expect much growth, it rarely happens this way. If your BF was high, around 15%(just an assumption based on your ab commment), then shrinking chest would be a good thing. If your carbs are low you are gonna shrink. Honestly I wouldn't expect much until you start a bulking phase, just be happy with maintaining as much FFM as possible.

I know not to expect growth while cutting, I usually see larger losses than I am right now. However I was delighted to see that my arms have actually grown a 1/4 of inch somehow! I didn't know if that was typical with HST or not, I was hoping it was and I wasn't hitting the chest enough.

I think you were right about me being at around 15% BF prior to cutting, I am not sure what I am at now, but I would venture to guess around 12-13% right now. I plan on cutting until the end of this cycle and then doing a very closely watched bulking cycle, being careful not to add any chub!

I have been eating less cars, specifically at night. You state I should see everything shrink a bit due to this...Why is that? Will my muscles grow in size faster (muscle memory) than they normally do for me once I start my bulking cycle?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwbond @ May 11 2005,8:00)]I have been eating less cars, specifically at night.  
That's good, too much Iron isn't good for you anyway ;) Plus the tires are rather chewy.

Carbs, or lack thereof, changes the glycogen content of the muscle causing a deflated look.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ May 11 2005,9:28)]Carbs, or lack thereof, changes the glycogen content of the muscle causing a deflated look.
once I start bulking and my carbs are back up I am assuming the glyogen content will return to normal and my muscles will seem to grow faster than usual until the glyogen returns to normal...?

I just ate a 64 impala, many those cars are filling!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwbond @ May 11 2005,8:41)]I am assuming the glyogen content will return to normal and my muscles will seem to grow faster than usual until the glyogen returns to normal...?

I just ate a 64 impala, many those cars are filling!
Yes, glycogen supercompensation. Here's a paper on it.

thanks for the info! I am excited to finish cutting and get my carbs back up!

I am thinking 10% body fat is a good spot to be around...how do you measure? guess in the mirror? callipers?

I am thinking I should be around 10% once I can see the bottom of the 6pack?

The mirror is a definite marker of success or failure  
sad.gif
1. You'll never be 100% accurate in your measurement
1a. Calipers are great if, they are quality and the measurements are taken correctly.
1b. A myotape works but again it will never be 100% accurate.
So, IMHO, it's the cahnge in the numbers more than the actual numbers that is important, within reason, naturally.
2. @ 10% BF, you should begin to see your abs, if you see all 6 of the 6 pack you might be a little under 10%, depends on how well developed they are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ May 11 2005,9:28)]
wow.gif
0-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jwbond @ May 11 2005,8
wow.gif
0)]I have been eating less cars, specifically at night.  
That's good, too much Iron isn't good for you anyway  ;) Plus the tires are rather chewy.
Carbs, or lack thereof, changes the glycogen content of the muscle causing a deflated look.
This is good info. Just started my 5's on an AM/PM 4 day per week program. My strength is good but for some reason my muscles look flat. Since I'm going to Cancun next week, I've been pretty strict with my carb intake. This must be the reason for the flat look - not exactly what I was looking for ..... as he runs off looking for carbs - LOL

Firm

Back