Co-workers say that HST = strength training

Dvst8or

So I explain my routine and the fundamentals of HST to my co-workers. And they say that HST sounds like strength training.

That if my goal is a better looking body I need to hit every muscle from all angles to sculpt and shape the muscle. But if I care about how much weight I can put on the bar then I am doing the right thing, i.e. only compounds and continually increasing the weight.

I just don't know how to argue with them, lol.

I love HST and don't plan to stop doing it. I have made the more gains in my first two cycles of HST than I ever have doing the typical body building/magazine/book training that I have done since age 18 (I'm 27 now).

As I said I just don't know how to argue my points with these guys except to show them my measurements.

Brian

Well you can agree with them that you are in fact getting stronger...
wink.gif
As newbies to HST, we don't have all the answers to these comments.  I would give them the web address and advise them to read throught the threads and research.  The core movements incorporate the main muscles as well as the auxillary ones, this will give you the greatest gains in size.  Plus, I don't think you can "shape" muscles anyway.

Whislt TDM is kinda right...at least on the survive part for sure...you can tell them...yes...there are aspects of strength training within HST, but it is not a Strength training program in itself, that is why it is called hypertrophy specific training.

Further than that the results speak and well...reading is a good policyu when one wants to understand something well...so tell to download and read the FAQ ebook.
wink.gif

All else being equal, and aside from any neural adaptation, a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle and vice versa. With HST you aren't specifically training for strength but it is an inevitable consequence and is the only way you can drive progress forward from cycle to cycle.

The only way you can 'sculpt' a particular muscle is to make it hypertrophy or atrophy. Most of us here are attempting the former so we are going to end up stronger if our training is successful.

I would tell your mates not to believe everything they read in the bodybuilding comics. The sad truth is that if they are not adding weight to the bar over time then they are not progressing, assuming size is their goal (ie. they want a better shape). For some folks 'sculpting' their bodies could just mean fat loss, in which case it's all about dieting. I guess in that case, not adding weight to the bar is okay.

Just refer them to the site. Bryan has this lovely article about HST linked in the menu above, plus study references posted in the article. There is also the FAQ section. This will be a good way to weed out the morons from your group of co-workers. If they read the article, the FAQs and then come back and still tell you the same thing, then you know they aren't worth your time. Why bother trying to talk to someone who isn't going to use his or her mind, won't even try to think outside their comfortable little boundaries?
But maybe one or two will come back and actually discuss what they read with you, maybe not understand it all yet but at least talk about it intelligently. Maybe you'll even have new potential workout partners or something like that?

The most difficult position is the one where you must prove what you say. If you can't prove what you say, don't try and admit defeat. In other words, don't argue with a fool lest you be mistaken for one.

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Sep. 11 2007,03:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">**** 'em - stop wasting your valuable time trying to explain; let the results speak for themselves.

HST will survive, regardless...

let the results speak for themselves</div>
Agreed

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Sep. 11 2007,03:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">**** 'em - stop wasting your valuable time trying to explain; let the results speak for themselves.

HST will survive, regardless...</div>
It is strength training.

I know for a fact I am constantly getting stronger and bigger.

You shouldn't care how they label it.

Just think when it comes time to sculpt your body you'll have more muscle to sculpt to start with. LOL

It seems we all work with super-geniuses who want to add their highly considered opinion to any and all subjects.

It's nice to have such gifted individuals at hand, so they can explain the intricate details of everything we could ever present to them.

If we take their advice, we can, therefore, never, ever make a mistake, because their deity-like intellect will help us ferret out fact from fantasy, truth from falsehood.

Just take a look at them; their perfect physical condition and highly chiseled features bear out the fact that they surely know all that is knowable about building the body, increasing strength and life in general.

tounge.gif

I think they were mostly referring to how &quot;little&quot; I do, i.e. compounds and very little isolation.

Its okay. I know HST works and their programs don't. I just kinda wanted some fire power to properly defend HST.
laugh.gif

So I told them to go to the site and read up and their reply.....
&quot;I don't have time to read up on how get stronger. I have read all I need to so that I can make my muslces look bigger and better not care about how good I will do in the next powerlifting contest. :rolleyes:

Alas, after that comment I have decided to just leave it alone and prove to them HST works with my own results. And do go by one of my favorite quotes...

&quot;Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat with experience&quot;

Brian

Brian

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">&quot;Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat with experience&quot;</div>

Wisdom is a great think to possess!

Poor idiots will one day start asking you, how did you do it? Man... you look great! What did you use? Steroids
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Until the BB'ing world realizes exactly how far it's fallen behind on training knowledge and perhaps one day throws their beloved 1-factor model out the window, just take solace in the fact that you're training more effectively than everyone else. ;)

Tell them they are right and it doesn't work and you are the type of person who enjoys wasting there time.

They want expect that answer!
biggrin.gif

Last workout I did dips whit 30 kg around my waist, and the gym instructor say to me:How much reps you are doing?I say:five.
&quot;5 is for strength, if you want size,do at least 6&quot; he say.
rock.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Last workout I did dips whit 30 kg around my waist, and the gym instructor say to me:How much reps you are doing?I say:five.
&quot;5 is for strength, if you want size,do at least 6&quot; he say. </div>
Ask him, &quot;So if I did one extra rep, my body will magically flip on the hypertrophy switch?&quot;
biggrin.gif

I honestly don't see how anything that utilizes a 15 rep mesocycle as STRENGTH training. I can't imagine too many powerlifters are getting their maxes up with high rep sets. The thing that HST uses is the entire spectrum of reps, which give you the best of both worlds.

<div>
(cgutcu @ Sep. 13 2007,18:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Last workout I did dips whit 30 kg around my waist, and the gym instructor say to me:How much reps you are doing?I say:five.
rock.gif
</div>
Sorry I just gotta quote that one again. I seriously LOLed right here in the office. magic numbers indeed.

<div>
(cgutcu @ Sep. 13 2007,18:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Last workout I did dips whit 30 kg around my waist, and the gym instructor say to me:How much reps you are doing?I say:five.
rock.gif
</div>
Yah, this logic is definitely asinine.

Lyle (Mcdonald) referenced a forthcoming study recently that showed triples yielding comparable growth to higher reps, I presume in a context of similar total-ish reps. I think a lot of what people are perceiving as &quot;growth&quot; from higher reps are transient changes in glycogen/fluid retention. In terms of research, I think people got confused by stuff that compared &quot;rep ranges&quot; without actually holding total volume (total reps) constant.

E.g. if you compare a set of 10 RM to a ~3-5 RM, you will (probably) find a set of 10 is better for growth. What happens when you compare a set of 10 to 3-4 sets of 3?

HST is foremost hypertrophy training hence the name, but it also ramps up a person's strength. In my experience, I have had better strength improvements from HIT and 5x5.

Back