Co-workers say that HST = strength training

Is the old discussion about sarcoplasmic x sarcomere hypertrophy.

Read this:

"Well, there's the obvious gross volume of training where you actually train so much that you "eat" up your own muscle tissue as fuel. I assume that's not what you're referring to.

Some forms of very high intensity, low-volume training stimulate sarcomeric hypertrophy, but not significant sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. In other words, the contractile machinery of the muscles gets larger, but the systems that fuel and maintain that contractile machinery don't increase in capacity. The most obvious adaption is that the muscle cells don't have enough mitochondrial surface areas to fuel and sustain all the contractile filaments. The term applied to this condition is "irrational hypertrophy". An analogy would be a huge motor with a small oil pan and gas tank.

If you train perpetually with very heavy weights, low-reps, high-intensity techniques, long rests between sets, low volume, etc. you will eventually manifest a plateau because of such "adaptations" within the muscles. So, at least periodically, a person must train with higher reps and volumes. It doesn't have to be very high, but at least moderate - sets of 8 reps or above, mutiple sets per exercise, short rests between sets, etc. This type of training will ensure that the cells have sufficient sarcoplasmic hypertrophy to "fuel", maintain and support further muscle filament growth."

This make sense for me.Here is the place of 10's on the HST cycle, rigth?

I convinced two friends to do HST. One of them refused to do the SD which is essential so it didn't go well for him. He also stayed with isolations. Eventually went back to HIT.

The other asked the ymca trainer who also has a kinesiology degree and the trainer told him it was a noobie program and a waste of time.

So I've given up on convincing anyone that HST works. Its impossible when educated people in kinesiology dont know what they are talking about and I am just a mechanical engineering technologist so why listen to me.

Just do what you know works(HST) and let them waste their time and energy making no gains.

Back