Continuous vs Cluster Reps

Ramrod

Lol is right, preservere and win!

If you follow the simple instructions is sci muscle's signature you can't go wrong!

Thanks guys... im gonna just shut up and get to it
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys... im gonna just shut up and get to it.

No need...do keep us posted! But HANG IN THERE!
wink.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Nov. 28 2007,19:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So ultimately yes, MS is about fatigue management and the increased, well generally increased, you seem to be an outlyer  
wink.gif
, force/volume that comes with it but there are other reasonings in there as well.</div>
As I said I would do, I re-ran my Max-Stim experiment, using barbell curls in my 10-rep meso-cycle.   This time I was able to get 14 reps using MS as opposed to 10 reps of continuous reps (m-time 5s).  I was pretty careful not to go over the 5 sec limit so I'm sure I could expand the volume using longer m-times.  Also, I'm wondering if fiber type might have an effect here with fast-twitch having a lower threshold for fatigue than slow-twitch.  

Anyway, my final conclusion is that Max-Stim will surely alllow me to increase load and/or TUT if that's the route I choose.  Whether that'll provide better gains than what I'm currently seeing with the 10-15 continuous reps, I guess it's back to the laboratory...

Tim

<div>
(omega99 @ Dec. 04 2007,09:28)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I was pretty careful not to go over the 5 sec limit so I'm sure I could expand the volume using longer m-times.</div>
How about you run your experiment again, using even longer M-times...?

You might be surprised the difference another 5 seconds can make.

I used to cluster at times in the past before I even knew of max-stim. Funny thing is I thought I might have been cheating myself but I also wanted to finish my sets when I was fatigued. I used to use it a lot on my deadlifts.

Back in March '06 Tot and I were discussing burn sets and I'd posted this about a shock routine called Progressive Rest-Pause:
Progressive rest-pause
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do a ten-rep max and rest 10 seconds.
Go to failure and rest 15 seconds.
Go to failure and rest 20 seconds.
Go to failure and rest 25 seconds.
Go to failure and rest 30 seconds.
Go home.
I find that the final set would be only about 2-3 reps for compound movements and maybe 5 reps for small muscles, like bi's. These sets are brutal, not for noobs. Only one set needed per week!</div>
As you can see, it's sort of a MaxStim with failure sets, and extending M-time. But unlike MS, you can't keep doing it: it definitely will leave you sore, but MAN; the workload is awesome!

<div>
(quadancer @ Dec. 05 2007,08:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Progressive rest-pause
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do a ten-rep max and rest 10 seconds.
Go to failure and rest 15 seconds.
Go to failure and rest 20 seconds.
Go to failure and rest 25 seconds.
Go to failure and rest 30 seconds.
Go home.

I find that the final set would be only about 2-3 reps for compound movements and maybe 5 reps for small muscles, like bi's. These sets are brutal, not for noobs. Only one set needed per week!</div></div>
This is somewhat what I've been trying the last two cycles, but with a little less intensity and more rest.  Hit the number of max reps, (no matter the rep range) until you can't do another with perfect form.  Seems to be working although I've been eating like a pig.

But one set per week??  Seems a bit infrequent.

Well, the one set/week recommendation I believe was put forth to people who were most likely doing failure training as a rule. So a brutal shock set like this would be a lot of added stress to the CNS that was probably allready heavy.
If you actually do this right , you will have DOMS out of this world and not be able to do another or want to. Consider that you're hitting the wall 5 times in a row with a lot of reps, except at the end, but ALL your motor units are firing from the very first set. I call that intensity plus.
This was actually recommended for a lagging muscle, not for the whole body. I couldn't see trying that: I'm not man enough!

Back