Creatine Bloat

Bobby Baccala

I started using creatine for the past few weeks and I've gained about 10lbs, and all my lifts have gone up a few pounds. But unfortunately some of that weight is in my gut. Some days I look like I'm pregnant. I haven't changed my diet from before I started taking creatine, so what is causing this? Does creatine cause extra fluid retention in areas other than muscle cells?

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I started using creatine for the past few weeks and I've gained about 10lbs, and all my lifts have gone up a few pounds. But unfortunately some of that weight is in my gut. Some days I look like I'm pregnant. I haven't changed my diet from before I started taking creatine, so what is causing this? Does creatine cause extra fluid retention in areas other than muscle cells?
<span =''>
This is common among &quot;non-responders&quot;. Have you tried micronized creatine? It is much easier to absorb do it's finer texture.

The first time I ever used creatine I gained like 11 pounds in like 2.5 weeks... I was using it at 10grams per day (5 grams before and 5 grams after workout... with 300mg of ALA and 50 grams of dextrose with each intake)... I would say that 1/2 - 3/5 of the weight gained was water.. the rest was muscle and fat. And I felt/saw the bloated look you are talking about... but I didn't mind at all just because of the mental boost from seeing my weight on the scale increase almost every day. Since then Im doing my first proper creatine cycle after 5 weeks of no creatine... I use 2.5 grams pre and 2.5 grams post workout with my pre/post carbs and ALA... 1 week in and I have not noticed even half of the weight gains that I made the first time I used creatine... I don't know if this is due to my lower dose or its just that the first time is always going to be the best time (prolly both).. I know that the creatine transporters upregulate, but after 5 weeks of non use, you'd think they would be back to normal and ready...

and yes as BIZ said... plain old micronized monohydrate is the way to go...

Back