Creatine curious

spikehead

Hi,
I'd like to start taking creatine but I have a few questions about it before I got out and buy anything.
1) How much are you supposed to take and how often?
2) Is this amount dependent on body size?
3) Can I add it to my protein drink or does it have to be taken with juice?
4) What's the highest quality creatine out there?
5) What brands should I avoid?
6) How much should I expect to pay per serving for the good stuff?
7) Are there any side-effects?
Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help.

1.It's recommended to take 0.3 grams/kg/day of creatine monohydrate (about 15 – 30 grams/day depending on body weight) divided into three to four daily equal doses for 5 to 7 days. Then, take 5 grams/day of creatine to maintain elevated creatine stores.
2.Yes
3.Yes, either or preferably both
4.Any that contain the Creapure trade mark, from the company SKW in Germany. HSN carries it. Go to store tab at the top of this page.
5.Anything that sounds like BS.
6.Varies
7. The only consistent side effect noted in the studies and reviews is weight gain.

Thanks a lot for your help.

A couple of follow up questions directed at anyone:

8) When will HSN:CRE be available again since it is out of stock?
9) What happens if you stop taking creatine? Do you keep your gains? Does one continue taking it daily forever or stop at some point in the future?

Thanks!

I was just wondering, why would someone not get any benefit from creatine? I read that if your creatine levels are already naturally high, then that will mean less benefit from taking creatine... but how would you know that your levels are naturally high?

I've taken creatine several times and never noticed any difference. I suppose it could have been the brand I was taking... which is why I recently purchased some that uses Creapure, so I'm going to give it another shot and see if it does anything this time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Totentanz @ April 21 2005,4:29)]I was just wondering, why would someone not get any benefit from creatine?  I read that if your creatine levels are already naturally high, then that will mean less benefit from taking creatine...
Exactly, the average human's creatine store is only about 120 grams of total creatine pool, but the same sized person can hold up to 160 grams. The average human breaks down about 2-3 grams every day, hence the maintenance recommendations of 5 grams (we work out). Those people who eat less red meat (1 lb of uncooked beef = @ 2 grams) or those who have creatine synthesis defiency (creatine is synthesised from the amino acids glycine, arginine, and methionine) see the greatest response. But everyone should see some aid if taken correctly.
thumbs-up.gif

Back