Creating the ultimate cutting routine

jwbond

I am playing around with changes to my routine.  After much thought, I decided to start my cut earlier this year to ensure I am ready for beach season!

As with any cut, the goal is the maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.

Current Stats:
Weight: 205-209lbs (morning/night)
Height: 6'2"
Est. BF: 12-12.5%
Arm: 16" 1mm

My bf estimate could be off, as I am not too great with calipers, but I was able to consistently get a reading of 12-12.5%.  My abs have deep cuts from all of the heavy crunches I have been doing.  I can clearly see the outlines of my abs with proper lighting.  I am hoping the deep cuts will allow me to look more ripped at a higher bf %!

Goal:
-10% or lower bodyfat
-As heavy as possible at goal bf
-Keep arms over 16"

Here are the things that come to mind when creating this program:
-Weights must be kept heavy to minimize muscle loss
-M,W,F lifting
-Tue, Thur, Sat cardio
-Aim for 1-2lbs weight loss a week

Weight Training Days: (MWF)
-Deadlifts = 315lbs - 10x, 1 set maxstim style
-Flat DB Bench = 100lbs - 5x, 5 sets
-Weighted Pullups = 45lbs - 5x, 3 sets
-Vertical Leg Press = 250lbs - 10x, 3 sets
-Wide Grip Machine Pulldowns = 125lbs - 10x, 3 sets

I like to do high reps on legs in general so deads and leg presses are @ 10x, which is actually low for me when it comes to legs.

Flat DB Bench is done 5 x 5, as my shoulder is hurting and I seem to be able to do these without problem.  If it wasn't hurting I would drop to 3 sets and add in dips or incline bench!

Cardio Days: (Tue, Thur, Sat)
Warm up:
-Incline DB Crunches = 90lbs - 10x, 2 sets
-Preacher Curls = 75lbs - 10x, 2 sets
-Skulls = 75lbs - 10x, 2 sets
-BB Curls = ?lbs - 10x, 2 sets
-Tri pushdowns = ?lbs - 10x, 2 sets

Cardio:
-30-40 mins of an eliptical on a jogging speed

My warm up will consist of lift weight arm training.  Switching from bi to tri movements with no rest periods between sets.  This is more of an experiment than anything else...

The cardio will be changed to a 20 min HIIT routine as my progress slows.

I am sure some of you guys would make changes to the routine, so let's hear it!

PS - I am aware that diet is even more important than anything else. I think I have this nailed down after 10 years of lifting! Protein will be kept high I can assure you.
smile.gif

JW, you should move this over to the Training Logs forum. If you are serious about cutting, the log will help as extra motivation. Your goals and routine are similar to mine, so I am interested in seeing your routine!

I don't see any option for moving a post. I think only admins can do that...any admins around?

I've been following your log for a while now. I have already wanted to be 225lbs at 10% bf, so I hope you get there! I don't think my body will ever allow me to have that kind of size. I am guessing I would top out at around 215ish @ 10%

You are the same height as I am, and I am not big by any means in the world of bodybuilding, so I do not see why you could not be my size.

Ask Dan to move your post, or you can simply copy your first post and start a new in the logs forum!

<div>
(colby2152 @ Feb. 19 2008,14:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You are the same height as I am, and I am not big by any means in the world of bodybuilding, so I do not see why you could not be my size.

Ask Dan to move your post, or you can simply copy your first post and start a new in the logs forum!</div>
Height is not the best measurement for potential size. You should see how girly my legs are! My ankles are only 9&quot; at the skinniest point.

Also, my natural frame isn't exactly gigantic. Looking back on pics when I first started lifting is weird. My face is the same, but I look feeble and hungry.

I am guessing my natural state w/o ever lifting would be much lighter than yours (I think I was 165-170 when I started).

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My abs have deep cuts from all of the heavy crunches I have been doing. </div> I'd guess your cuts are showing because you're only 12%.
I was a 165 lb. guy at one time, and so were others in here. Don't limit yourself until the fat lady sings.
The really sad part is that we can't just gain and enjoy it. Always have to keep playing the game.

<div>
(quadancer @ Feb. 19 2008,17:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The really sad part is that we can't just gain and enjoy it. Always have to keep playing the game.</div>
Yeah, pretty screwed up that you rmind adjusts to what &quot;looks good&quot; as you look better.  Every year I say, if I could just get to X lbs I will be happy.  

I have been lifting for 10 years and have never been happy, but I am always just 1 year away from it!  
biggrin.gif

...and just to pick on you for a sec, you say I am seeing cuts because I am at 12%.  For me I am surprised to see cuts at this high of a bf percentage.  I have been slimmer in recent months, so I think my perception of what is fat is has changed.  I feel pretty fat right now, even though I know I technically am not.   However, you probably think I am on the skinny side since you have been bulking for quite a while.  I would have thought 12% was leanish if you asked me a year ago too!

Back on topic...anyone think any changes should be made to the routine?

&quot;I have been lifting for 10 years and have never been happy, but I am always just 1 year away from it!&quot;

You oughta be a Cleveland Indians fan...
sad.gif

&quot;-Deadlifts = 315lbs - 10x, 1 set maxstim style
-Flat DB Bench = 100lbs - 5x, 5 sets&quot;

Dag! I would think that, if you can deadlift 315lbs 10x, you oughta be able to bench a bit more than a 100lbs.
rock.gif

For cutting you mainly want heavy rather than high rep.

[and 1g protein/lb bw!!]

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Feb. 19 2008,22:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dag! I would think that, if you can deadlift 315lbs 10x, you oughta be able to bench a bit more than a 100lbs.
rock.gif
</div>
i think you misunderstood
thats Dumbell Press 100lbs x5...5 sets.
as in 100lbs in each hand x5x5.

jw.
looks pretty good to me.
not sure about all the bi/tri work on cardio days (i wouldnt do that much) but you said its an experiment so you must have something in mind.

actually at 205 and 12-13% your only 5-15lbs from 10% and under so im not sure when you plan to start your cut but provided you do things right your really not that far (wgt or time-wise) from your goals.

god luck

<div>
(colby2152 @ Feb. 20 2008,08:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">DB Press with 100 lbs in each hand is a lot!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Yup. Whoops...
blush.gif

TunnelRat, I actually think my deadlift is a bit light in comparison to my bench...I just started DB bench recently and 100lbs feels good, but I am sure I could go higher once I get the balancing act back under control!  Unfortunately, my DBs are only 5-100lbs, so I need to find a place that sells 100lb+.  Know of any?

bluejacket, my arm experiment is to see if I can keep my arms at the same size while I cut.  I am pretty conditioned after 10 years of lifting, so the 4 sets of bis and 4 sets of tris isn't all that rough.  I am hoping that it will give me an increase in glycogen, enough to keep my arms above 16&quot;.  I find myself getting depressed about lifting when my arms are under 16&quot;, so it is really more of a mental game I am playing I guess.  Gotta keep the arms pumped to keep the motivation up!  Knowing that keeping my arm size is a HUGE priority for me, would you make any changes?

I am pretty close to my goal.  This is the first year I didn't blow myself up like the Stay Puff Marshmellow man!  I gotta say, it feels good to know I should be at my goal within 2 months, even at only 1lb/week!  I don't think I will ever go above 12% again.

JW, time to go to the stereo shops and ask for some old blown speakers. Take off the magnets and you have a set of homemade PlateMates...for free.

jw
unfortunatly in this case (arms)  i dont have much i can offer you. years of various direct and indirect bi work has yielded decent/good strength but modest/poor size. my tris respond pretty well to heavy work as do other body parts but alas my bis are avg at best. oh well we all have something.

my main concern would be repeated bouts of moderate to light wgt (for bis and tris) on &quot;off&quot; days would compromise recovery and strength for the &quot;on&quot; heavier days...... db press and pullups specifically. heavier wgts is typically the recipe for retaining mass as opposed to lighter wgts more often.

personally i would add one bi exer (reasonably heavy)at the end of my w/o on monday. tri on wed. then bi again on fri. followed by tri on monday etc etc.

again that is me........it really depends how and on what exer your arms grow. if you know of some that really work for you.......go heavy, not too often and dont stress too much.

the size issue is going to be a tough one for you. your barely over 16 now so dropping 5-15lbs bw is most likely going to impact your arm size. realize that your arms are 16&quot; b/c your at 12-13%. dropping bf will show up most signif in your mid-section but arms (and everything else) will still be impacted.

good luck

jwbond,

I didn't read any of the other post.

But if you are wanting to seriously cut her is my recommendation.

Do the bare minimum of weight training to spare muscle mass. This will require probably 2 sets of heavy weight.

Cut your calories up your protein and cardio!

Oh and if you want to peak at lower bodyfat.

Read some articles on carb cycling and dropping water weight!

good luck!

Joe.Muscle is right on

A few thoughts:

A lot of sets may not be possible, especially for prolonged periods.  When you lift heavy that is.  You can still accomplish good cutting with 2 to 3 sets.  You just want to micro-traumatize muscle enough to hypertrophy.

You have gotta find balance in your nutrition more than anything.

Carbs provide the necessary quick energy to get through workouts, because they produce glycogen the quick energy source.  Workouts really hit glycogen stores hard.

It is strange how our body preferences and uses it's energy stores.  These energy stores being,  glycogen, muscle &amp; fat.  It seems during workouts the body hits those glycogen stores first very hard, but prefers to hit the muscle before the fat. Making workouts almost counterproductive if you don't monitor nutrition carefully.

The human body loves to preserve fat.  That is why when you take on cutting you take on a totally different training than training for gains.

The workouts are usually exhausting, because you can't take enough carbs to aid in recovery or endurance you get from the carbs.

Someone mentioned lowering water levels in your body as well.  The less water you body has in reserve you can count on tougher workouts as well.  You have to get rid of water, you have no choice when you are cutting.

It is critical to maintain high levels of protein duing cutting.  Preserving muscle tissue is critical and there are two key supplements you cannot ignore. Protein and Glutamine, each helps maintain mucle tissue.

Creatine is out of the question, because it helps your body store water at the cellular levels.  

You must cut carbs, but remember your endurance levels during workouts will fall significantly.  What is a proper balance is just something you will probably be an on-the-fly situation.  Progressive endurance will fall off, your hunger will become pronounced with huge food cravings.  One thing for sure study the Glycemic index very carefully and try to plan your carb intake with more care, especially get off white flower, white veggies and sugars.

It takes real discipline cutting, and a truly cut body is extremely hard to maintain.  Anerobic training will help maintain the cut, which is not bad training.

Here is a link on HIIT excellent training for weight loss and keeping cut.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

I wouldn't even suggest cardio training during cutting unless you did something like the HIIT. Read the article and the last paragraph explains it pretty well.

I would suggest you think about training very rigorous in workouts something along these lines..

Discipline yourself to do no more than 1 minute max rest between sets and 2 minute rest between exercise changes. Do 10-12 compound exercises during workouts. If you do a split make it an everyother day split MWF-TTS. You need to microtraumtize the same muscles about every 48 hours. I'd suggest no more than 1 rest day per week.

Good luck

Uh... water is not your enemy during a cut, and creatine is definitely a good idea, perhaps moreso during a cut than during a bulk.

I won't bother addressing the rest, I just don't feel like it right now.

Back