Cutting and HST

Trash44

Just curious how some of you apply HST with cutting?
Do you hold your lifts or continue to try increasing?
Anyone here just reduce calories and no cardio? How's that work for you?
Anyone here use HST with CKD/TKD?
I'm just looking for different ideas and would like to know what works for some of you.

But don't worry I have not intentions of cutting through the holidays...I'd much rather put all that food to good use.
Just started my second cycel and am looking forward to getting into it.

Well, remember that if you aren't progressing with the weights then you aren't really doing HST. As for cutting while HSTing, IMO there isn't a better training plan to choose while calories are low. I have had a lot of success using both together, as have many others on this board. As for implementing some form of a CKD, you could def do it, although I have never tried personally. Bryan has posted somewhere before that he keeps carbs low during the week and loads up on the weekends. Others may have more advice for you when it comes to this topic.

Normal HST training (frequency, weight progression etc.) combined with reduced caloric intake should do the trick. If you wish to do little or no cardio, I suggest that you try high frequency, 6x a week (watch your volume, though).

Read the FAQ, too. Lots of good tips there.

Thanks for your replies!

"Do you hold your lifts or continue to try increasing? " What I meant was do you increase your weights for the next cycle after your SD?

If you can increase, then yes. Better for strength, regardless of whether you are cutting or not.

hi guys.suppose i do MWF--> HIIT style for 10 min followed by a 30 medium intensity cardio. will a T- TH lifting iron would be enough to spare muscle? :) (of course with a 500 Cal deficit)
my last cutting cycle i was doing as said above but i wasn't lifting heavy weights and i think i didn't preserve max muscle. :confused:
thanks

Do you mean that despite the cardio and weightlifting you do, you still eat 500 below your maintenance level?

If that's the case, then all I can say is it would be better to just eat at your maintenance level, or even a bit higher, then just create a calorie decifict using cardio and weightlifitng. Decreasing calorie intake (that is, creating the calorie deficit through extreme dieting) has some effects you don't like, like messing up testosterone levels, and just plain starving your body too much. That's probably a factor as to why you feel you didn't preserve max muscle, a bigger factor than not being able to lift heavy weights. I still advise and believe that it woud be more beneficial in the long run to also lift heavy in cutting cycles, but from the sole viewpoint of preserving muscle tissue, it doesn't matter that much.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]JVROIG:
I still advise and believe that it woud be more beneficial in the long run to also lift heavy in cutting cycles, but from the sole viewpoint of preserving muscle tissue, it doesn't matter that much.

The problem I've had "lifting heavy" for cutting has been lack of recovery potential duing workouts.
butbut.gif

I  started taking on more carbs and now I workout 2 day split x 6 days aweek and conclude each workout with 1 hour of aerobic exercise in "fat burn" ranges only.

I do continue to maintain a residual "fat" around my middle. I'm being patient at this point, because my abs are beginning to become much more prominent and I've not dropped my caloric intake.

Your point about lifting heavy...
Heavy is a relative term. Lifting to failure is not in my training. If I even feel failure coming on for the next rep...I stop. Principally I don't want to injure myself and have to do workarounds on a muscle group for a couple months.

It would be nice if there was a more definitive term that applied to "lift heavy", which related more specifically to BB individually. To me "heavy" has begun to be more along the lines of maintaining the weight for my workout sets and backing off the reps before failure.  This way I'm exposing myself to the loading.  I do strive to meet my HST weight increases, but honestly I'll repeat loadings from a previous workout if I'm just not strong enough to move up incrementally.

Bodybuilding, to me, was an exact science when I first started on HST.  I busted my hump to meet incremental weight increases from workout to workout.  Then I hit the "recovery wall" and workouts just became incredibly difficult.  I was just exhausted about half way through workouts. I was also experiencing a lot of irritating little injuries that persisted for several months.  

[b said:
Quote[/b] (domineaux @ Dec. 04 2005,9:39)]honestly I'll repeat loadings from a previous workout if I'm just not strong enough to move up incrementally.
Bodybuilding, to me, was an exact science when I first started on HST.  I busted my hump to meet incremental weight increases from workout to workout.  Then I hit the "recovery wall" and workouts just became incredibly difficult.  I was just exhausted about half way through workouts. I was also experiencing a lot of irritating little injuries that persisted for several months.  
Excellent points Domineux.

Everyone needs to manage their training according to their own needs, it's when they don't that injuries, illness, burnout creeps up and bites em in the behind.

Back