Daily Min / Daily Max, Implementation To Hst?

Fred

Anyone read the Bulgarian Manual by Greg and Omar??

I was wondering, it is very possible to introduce this concept to actually keep more time on the 5´s and push PRs around, especially for someone who does the 5´s with a rep number goal in mind. As someone works 6x a week all days heavy weights, deloads are needed frequently, could this be a usefull tool avoiding burnout and pushing PRs?

Take an example:
You set your rep goal to 10 reps of a given exercise
your daily minimun would be around 80% of your 1 rep max and would increase trough the weeks based on the projected maxes you would accomplished or when it feels too light (RPE 7).

(for example BP 10 reps at 220lbs)
5*2 reps for Daily minimum 175lbs. Done the minimum work load for that exercise.
Keep working towards a new 5 rep PR or call it a day if you feel like crap/fatigued so you get a breather to break the PR next time.

Any thoughts?
Did i explained it well?

Hi! Old and Grey. I have the Ebook and read it but nothing that has a high relation with daily minimu.
I will try to implement this soon anyway ;)

HST doesn't cater specifically to the concept of daily min/max training.

However, it certainly caters to daily training (being high frequency).

Only your body can tell you what is the minimum work for gains and what is too much. There are too many variables to make a generalized statement. However, one study showed that gains peaked at 3-4 sets per body part and decreased after that until 8 sets at which point they became negative. Unfortunately, the group studied was too small, the time frame too short and age centered to take that as gospel.

Old an Grey, makes kind of sense. Obviously intensity (weight on the bar/percentage of your maxes) are also important.

I will most likely implement this on my next cicle ( slow bulk) and i am trying to decide either a DUP styled or Pure HST. If it is HST, daily minimum will no doubt be there!

Only your body can tell you what is the minimum work for gains and what is too much. There are too many variables to make a generalized statement. However, one study showed that gains peaked at 3-4 sets per body part and decreased after that until 8 sets at which point they became negative. Unfortunately, the group studied was too small, the time frame too short and age centered to take that as gospel.

Isn't it the general consensus that total reps matters more than total sets?

In general, reps, but that also depends on the type of reps (partial, full, number of reps, myo, rest/pause, % of RM, intensity, and many more etc.'s.)

Honestly, I would not implement HST with a daily-min/daily-max framework. The application would defeat the purpose, frankly.

Just do one or the other.

Nathan Jones makes some good points in this article:

http://www.strengtheory.com/the-new-approach-to-training-volume/#axzz3kzmaPEPH

To him, number of sets are more important.

Great article. It seems more intuitive to go for more high effort sets than a certain number of reps. You end up going close to failure more times at a higher weight that way.

2 sets of 5rm followed by one set of 20rm never sat right with me. But then, I still don't really understand what metabolic work is really supposed to do. Anyone know of any good articles about that?

Great article. It seems more intuitive to go for more high effort sets than a certain number of reps. You end up going close to failure more times at a higher weight that way.

2 sets of 5rm followed by one set of 20rm never sat right with me. But then, I still don't really understand what metabolic work is really supposed to do. Anyone know of any good articles about that?

It's just part of the hypertrophy package.

I would google 'Alex Hormozi transformation' and go to the Facebook result if you want to see what a high-volume, lower-load program can do.

Take that article with a grain of salt. He doesn't show us what he looked like the year prior, if he has used and when he stopped taking steroids, etc. Much of what he shows may actually be muscle memory gains and residual high hormone levels and should not be touted as an example of what the average person can expect in new muscle in that time frame. Many top bodybuilding competitors will experience a similar result when going from the "off" season to a contest date 3 to 6 months out. However, that does not take away from the validity of his program which appears sound for a very advanced lifter.

Last edited:
Back