Deadlift w/Belt

colby2152

Question: Do you wear a weight-lifting belt when you deadlift?

If you only wear it when the weight gets heavy, then please answer yes.

Opinions are welcome in the replies.

I feel more pressure in my abdomen doing squats. I wear a belt doing heavy squats, but get little out of it when deadlifting.
I DON'T wear a belt to support my back, I wear one of those belts that is wide all the way around to support my abs, the intra-abdominal pressure can cause a hernia if your abs aren't really strong.

I never wear a belt, but I don't own one. I suppose if I owned one, I might try it now and then. Maybe once I start deadlifting some decent numbers, I'll need one. Who knows.

Used to wear one for deads and squats but now don't use it at all. Now I'm used to not wearing it I don't feel the need for extra support at all. Like Tot, if and when I'm using decently heavier loads I'll need one again. The only belt I use now is my dipping belt and chain.

Wouldn't the use of a belt defeat the purpose of training to become stronger? If, by wearing a belt, one becomes stronger then subsequently removes the belt to lift the same weight, one would not have gotten the benefit of training to strengthen the muscles which the belt is intended to support. Without this benefit, one would then be at greater risk of injury without the belt. I see the same argument for straps.

I'm thinking of a sprinter using crutches to train. He would most certainly not become stronger or as strong where the crutches support him.

Martin, IMHO there's nothing inherently wrong with wearing a belt or straps in training. It's much more a personal preference issue. Someone who can squat with 600lbs and who wears a belt will likely not have weak abdominals. In the case of straps there is a very real benefit to using them for some of your heaviest deadlift training. There's nothing more annoying than having your grip start to fail during the course of a set. They also allow you to use an over-over grip for your heaviest lifts like shrugs should you wish to do so.

I certainly feel that, used correctly, belts and straps are effective training tools rather than crutches.

Well said. And for some, they will never get a superman grip or back regardless, so are able to train the rest of the package with supports. Iso exersizes can then be used for the supported muscles, such as hypers or hangs.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There's nothing more annoying than having your grip start to fail during the course of a set. </div>

That's my biggest problem with deadlifts.

There's no argument there: I don't know why guys like to debate it: if your grip is too weak for your pull, use straps for the pull and do something else for the grip, which just happens to be behind the pull strengths. Many of us will have a weaker grip than we can pull with; so what? It's not like we are competitors under some ruling of no straps...unless you are a competitor under a ruling of no straps...
sad.gif

Well... I broke down and bought some straps today. I didn't get a belt yet, but that might be in the cards some day. My grip has been able to handle a lot, I've rack pulled 550 without a problem. But I've decided that I want to start using straps on rack pulls and saving my grip entirely for deadlifting. My grip/forearms need no work anyway.

Now if I can just get used to using the damn things...

i used to wear a belt loose. now i wear my belt tight because of my previous lower back injury during powerlifting.

I like to wear an elastic brace for support on what I consider heavy deadlifts, only about 120 Kg or so, it definitelly helps to support both abs internal pressure and the lower back, used to get some lower back issues but once I corrected my form it stopped!

I use the same for the squats but only once it gets heavy, by then I sue a lifting belt on top of the brace, this helps my partner &quot;pick me up&quot; if I can't get out of the hole.
wink.gif

Agree with both Quad and Lol, there's nothing inherently wrong with using a belt, the leather belt on deads hurts my pelvic bone as it hooks on there when I get down to pull...so I don't use it.

Deadlift is the king of pulls
biggrin.gif

I think most guys wear their belts too low, for looks. The point is support; and to tighten your abs against the belt, the belt has to be against the abs.

never wear a belt unless i really have to,more so for exercises like heavy rows, not heavy deads as i feel that would be counter productive imo.

straps: havent lifted a weight i cant grip,but im getting close on deadlift and close grip machine rows.

Don't let Icars or lol get a hold of you...you won't get away!

Since this thread has been resurrected I'll give an update: since my earlier posts, I've quit wearing a belt for anything except shrugs (I'm way over 400 with them) and the result of ATG squats and deads w/o the belt is:
STRONGER BACK!!! No doubt whatsoever about this: I've less pain and feel like I can pick up the back of a Volkswagen...(my goal). How this may fare later with higher weights yet remains to be seen: I &quot;slipped&quot; a disc or something about 6 years ago squatting 430 parallels...but I have better form now, so expect better results, even tho I doubt to achieve that weight at my age.

I don't know wether to cry or smile: I'm a bit larger, but weaker.

I've never figured out what benefit they provide. More often they just seem to get in the way. I'm not biased against them. I'll gladly inconvenience my workout if it means being safer because getting injured is going to slow down your gains more than any safe lifting practice. I suppose I may need one when the weights get heavier. Afterall its entirely possible for your deadlift or squat strength to exceed the torso muscles' ability to provide stabilizing pressure. Maybe I'm just not there yet.

I have an old school one my neighbor gave me when I was 14. Its made of dark brown hardened old leather. I like it, just don't have a need for it right now.

I would much rather have self-wrapping lifting straps. How about that for a revolutionary invention?

I was always under the impression that a dead lift belt only makes the workout safer, not less effective. Without my belt, my lower back feels too strained.

Maybe I will try it without a belt at the begining of next cyle when the weights are much less. I don't want to try going beltless in the 5s!

If in doubt, use a belt. Better safe than sorry. I admit though I should be doing more abdominal work, a strong core is even better than a belt for lifting health &amp; safety!

I've been using a belt since I started lifting, but honestly am starting to feel a bit tempted to try some of my core lifts without it. I also use straps for deads as my forearm strength is not anywhere near capable of handling the loads I lift.

Back