Deadlifts and HST

charr

Can deadlifts hinder hst results? With deadlifts most likely being the heaviest weight you can lift and using every muscle in the body does it undo the de-conditioning that you need to do with HST in order to cause the muscle to grow with lighter weight? Hopefully i am explaining what I mean properly.

I am using deadlift with HST. I do them every other work out but don't follow HST principles on them. I do standard strength training and try to push my max 5 each time. Maybe this is hindering my hst results.

Chris

As Bulldog said. Increment deads like everything else. Also, watch volume on deads. Too much volume can be taxing on the CNS.

They are hindering your results because pushing for a new max each time is, first of all, a bad way to train for deads and secondly, it is too taxing on the body for you to be strong enough on all your other lifts.

I usually keep volume low. Just 1 set of 5 which I have carried over from stronglifts. What I'm trying to get say is does doing deadlifts interfere with the sub maximal training of hst? Because deadlifts will always be heavier than other lifts even training light and it uses every muscle.

When you say increment deadlifts like everything else, do you mean hst style? (15's,10's,5's)?

Your diet management is the issue here.

I can't imagine a scenario where deadlifting results in less muscle gain.

All your current setup is doing is getting in the way of your fatigue management, it isn't going to make you lose muscle or cause you to not build muscle, etc. As Jester pointed out, diet management is definitely an issue for you. This is pretty clear from the other threads you have posted. In theory, you could keep doing that in your training and you would be fine, but it is better to progress deads instead of working at maximal loads at all times and that is not just for fatigue management but also for building strength in deads.

If I had to guess it would be yes. If after a SD if you go right back into heavy deads you are likely exceeding the minimum stimulus necessary for growth. Based on the limited information my suggestion would be to start off light on the deads and then in the second week of 10s transition back to strength training for the remainder of the cycle.

Back