DIARY OF A MADMAN

RUSS

We'll jump right into a cycle in progress- after 2weeks of 10's, 2weeks of 8's I'll begin to record begining with 5's and thru to the 3's.

Monday july 30th (w/o music was Judas Priest - British steel)

FLAT BENCH
2x5 @ 316

INCLINE
2x5 @ 278

CHEST SUPPORTED ROW
2x5 @ 278

BB ROW
2x5 @ 300

MILITARY PRESS
2x5 @ 216

UPRIGHT ROW
2x5 @ 178

DEADLIFT
1x8 @ 200
1x8 @ 270
1x5 @ 340
1x5 @ 400
1x3 @ 420
1x3@ 448
( I only do these once a week hence the higher volume per w/o for these)

* Currently 250 lbs. 15-18% bf

This was monday - just to start at the begining of a rep range - today is wednesday will record tonights w/o later .

Whoops , must have 8's on the brain, corrected to show reps of 5 ...
tounge.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">FLAT BENCH
2x5 @ 316</div>

What???

Wow man, you are one strong dude!

Great to see a log Russ (you have some really good lifts there) and thanks for your advice over on my log. I absolutely agree and next cycle I will change to exercises that don't cause any painful twinges if at all possible.

With your deads, are you going to go down to singles during 3s (seeing that you are dropping to 3s during 5s)?

<div>
(Lol @ Aug. 01 2007,19:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great to see a log Russ (you have some really good lifts there) and thanks for your advice over on my log. I absolutely agree and next cycle I will change to exercises that don't cause any painful twinges if at all possible.

With your deads, are you going to go down to singles during 3s (seeing that you are dropping to 3s during 5s)?</div>
With my deads I will be dropping down to singles as the cycle progresses , I treat these a little differently (after some trial and error) because of the once a week as opposed to 3x/wk frequency. Also this particular cycle I'm prioritizing my rowing movements , so deads are slightly &quot;de-emphasized&quot; so to speak (set up with an eye towards maintainance ) to enable this. If all goes according to plan I expect to begin singles (after appropriate warmup) @ around 500 and proceed from there over the two mondays of 3's .

Wednesday august 1rst (w/o music: Queen- live at wembley)

FLAT BENCH
2x5 @ 324

INCLINE BENCH
2x5@ 286

CHEST SUPPORTED ROW
2x5@ 286

BB ROW
2x5@ 308

MILITARY PRESS
2x5@ 224

UPRIGHT ROW
2x5@ 186

* normally I would do OVERHEAD SQUATS on this day and fridays - for this cycle however, I have cut back to once a week only (fridays) this is for prioritizing reasons , freeing up as much &quot;cns space&quot; as possible for rowing movements (my focus this cycle).
smile.gif

some impressive lifts there russ.

im going down to singles for deads too,500 raw will be a pr for me so ill se what happens.

my cns is taking some flack,im having to lie down alot lol.

Good luck with the deadlift PR lcars.

Damn Russ, you're one strong guy. That OH press is awesome, damn that's my PR for push-presses.
biggrin.gif

FRIDAY AUGUST 3 (w/o music - marcheeba compilation)

FLAT BENCH
2x5@ 332

INCLINE
2x5@ 294

CHEST SUPPORTED ROWS
2x5@ 294

BB ROW
2x5@ 316

MILITARY PRESS
2x5@ 232

UPRIGHT ROW
2x5@ 194

* skipped OH squats , might drop to one set each for the remaining 3 w/o's of the 5's - depends how that first flat bench set feels monday. I've already done 10's , 8's, and half of the 5's and want to allow enough room to have a really productive 2 weeks of 3's/ max 1rms after 5's. OH squats may also get skipped more as I will be bringing the deads up rather quickly by then - I've been &quot;coasting/maintaining&quot; deads so far this cycle pretty much saving a lot for the weeks of 3's (deads will be 2's &amp; 1's by then). I'm crossing my fingers that UPRIGHT ROWS wont sap too much from MILITARY PRESS as I think I feel a current PR coming up @ the end of 3's if my CNS holds up .
smile.gif

Russ

You make me feel puny!
laugh.gif

Great lifts, the military press is simply awesome, that alone shows how much work I need to put in.

My best was body weight on a inclined bench (@ 80 degrees or so).

Monday August 6 (w/o music- VanHalen I)

FLAT BENCH
1x5@ 340

INCLINE
2x5@ 308

CHEST SUPPORTED ROWS
2x5@ 308

BB ROWS
2x5@ 324

MILITARY PRESS
2x5@ 240

UPRIGHT ROW
1x5@ 200
1x3@ 200

DEADLIFT (BTW I use standard plates so these would be &quot;deficit&quot; deads compared to you olympic plate guys)
1x10@ 230
1x5@   400
1x3@   448
1x3@   470
1x3@   500

*just a few things to note , I did just one set of FLAT BENCH , I allow myself to drop to one set per exersize during the second week of each rep range , I usually don't do this until w/o #4 of the rep range but this w/o felt it best to drop to just one on BENCH as I intuited that set #2 would have taken some OOMPH from INCLINE and MILITARY PRESS ; the next 2 w/o's in this rep range will be uniformly one set only per movement. The exception to this will be 3's where the plan is 3x3 dropping to 2x3 (impulsively intersperced with some singles!) per movement the last two w/o's (#'s 5&amp;6).

The other major point would be that I felt too &quot;near failure&quot; for my taste on CHEST SUPPORTED ROWS , and UPRIGHT ROWS I &quot;failed&quot; (not muscular failure , but too much &quot;body english&quot; form wise) hence the abrupt ending of set #2 @ only 3 reps. I will be repeating the load next w/o for these two movements , possibly for the next/last 2 w/o's of this rep range and will adjust for 3's accordingly.

I think you made a good call on which exercise to drop the set from. I'm always feeling like my militaries aren't reaching their potential due to always putting my bench first. Of course then again, that's my order of priority. Looks like you are getting the best of both worlds.

THURSDAY AUGUST 9 ( w/o music - AC/DC back in black)

*due to an enjoyable but CNS exhausting impromptu deadlift &quot;exibition&quot; for my easily impressed brother-in-law wednesday (my specially ordered 4x100lb plates arrived and they look so old school and hardcore we had no choice but to deadlift them immediately!!!) I skipped my regularly scheduled w/o wednesday and made it up thursday , I will just make up todays (fridays) scheduled w/o saturday , and continue on schedule monday.

FLAT BENCH
1x5@ 348

INCLINE
1x5@ 316

CHEST SUPPORTED ROWS
1x5@ 308

BB ROWS
1x5@ 332

MILITARY PRESS
1x5@ 248 (roughly my body weight - yes I'm very pleased)

UPRIGHT ROW
1x5@ 200

* I won't be doing 10, 8, 5, 3 again , I've realized that 15, 10, 5, 3's in lieu of negs is actually the best most balanced compromise possible (for me)- without enough difference between rep ranges fatigue accumulation issues similar to those experienced in a linear (non-zigzagged) progression rear thier ugly head. Now I know...
smile.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Aug. 10 2007,17:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">THURSDAY AUGUST 9 ( w/o music - AC/DC back in black)

* I won't be doing 10, 8, 5, 3 again , I've realized that 15, 10, 5, 3's in lieu of negs is actually the best most balanced compromise possible (for me)- without enough difference between rep ranges fatigue accumulation issues similar to those experienced in a linear (non-zigzagged) progression rear thier ugly head. Now I know...
smile.gif
</div>
I absolutely concur.

Great workout music too, by the way.
cool.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Aug. 10 2007,12:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">*due to an enjoyable but CNS exhausting impromptu deadlift &quot;exibition&quot; for my easily impressed brother-in-law wednesday (my specially ordered 4x100lb plates arrived and they look so old school and hardcore we had no choice but to deadlift them immediately!!!)</div>
Please add my name to the list of &quot;easily impressed&quot;!

I don't know that I'll ever be in need of fourX100lb plates...
wow.gif

SATURDAY AUGUST 11( music-  Sammy Hagar/marching to mars)

*last w/o of 5's

FLAT BENCH
1x5@ 356 (perfect! would have &quot;failed&quot; on 6th rep if attempted)

INCLINE
1x5@ 324 (MIGHT have gotten a g-r-i-n-d-ing 6th - close enough to perfect for me!)

CHEST SUPPORTED ROW
1x5@ 308 ( too optimistic when plotting this cycle, this is the third repeat of this load - no biggy still works)

BB ROW
1x5@ 340 ( very pleased as this was my focus this cycle)

MILITARY PRESS
1x5@ 256  (I see a single in my future)

UPRIGHT ROW
1x5@ 224 ( Went for it as this is the last w/o in this range , theses were partials - to upper abs - couldn't go further )

*  Will take 2 maybe 3 days off while assessing worth/risk considrations of continuing thru 3's/ random singles. Because of the rep ranges as I tweaked them (10,8,5,) resulting in some fatigue accumulation I MAY decide SD in lieu of continuing seems most prudent for overall long term progression.

* Tunnel rat , as for easily impressed - If you want your mind blown check Steve Jones' loads- truly impressive.

* the 100 lb. standard plates are great for deads as they get the bar up where it should and would be on an olympic set . No more &quot;deficit&quot; deads!!!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(liegelord @ Aug. 12 2007,18:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Geez, Russ, what's your max OH press?</div>
This past winter I put up 278 for a single but injured my right shoulder in the process . It took a good two months to heal during which time I substituted upright rows to try to preserve as much strength as possible during recovery (worked around it).
Just to be clear these are technically &quot;overhead presses&quot; not &quot;strict&quot; military (although I labelled them such for simplicities sake and to distinguish them from &quot;push presses&quot;) as I use a wider leg stance (although no leg drive) and incorporate a touch of &quot;lean back&quot; between explosion and lockout.
As I understand it - it's OK to call these military press these days as TRUE military press ( no lean back , heels touching) are largely unknown and military press and overhead press have become for the most part interchangeable terms to the collective consciousness.
As for my current 1RM I believe I've perhaps surpassed last winters hoist by 8-10 lbs. Which is extremely pleasing to me as I'm working very close (I'd say) to how far I can go (naturally and at age 40) with this movement so 8-10 lbs. for me is probably akin to a noob/intermediate putting 40 - 50 lbs on his bench or something. It's the only lift I have been able to better my previous , younger &quot;non- natural&quot; PB on (probably cause when I was using and powerlifting - I wasn't veiwing it as anything but an assistance exersize.)
Thanks for the interest.
smile.gif

That's awesome pressing there Russ. I hurt my right shoulder on Monday, though it's nothing that hurts, just the body saying to back off for a couple of weeks. 256x5, damn, this link has you pressing 288.

Back