Did I blow out my CNS???

suprarob

Just completed my 10's and I maxed out on all exercises (close to or to failure) for my last workout before going to fives and I feel like a truck hit me. After reading another post I think I may have done something wrong. I can feel my pulse beating while resting and i feel lathargic. Any info appreciated!
Thanks,Rob.

Take some time off before starting the 5s. 4 days or so should be fine, since once you start the 5s you will be starting with only about 75% of your 5rm.

If you're zig-zagging your weights then your 1st week of 5s will be a lesser weight. This should allow your CNS to recover.

Overall you may have too much volume, but you really need to post your routine and the number of sets per excercise during the 10s and 5s.

If your volume is too high during the 5s then you'll drain you CNS again.

<div>
(suprarob @ Mar. 12 2007,21:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Call me stupid but what does zig-zagging mean...

I will post up my work-out tommorow!

Thanks,Rob.</div>
ZIGZAGGING:When your last weight performed at the final workout of a rep range is slihjtly more than the begining weight for the first workout in the next rep range.If you finish your 15's at 275 on bench and begin 10's at 262 you have zigzagged.
smile.gif

I think that even when doing a linear HST, it's a break (for me, at least) when going from say, 300x15 to 310x10. It's not zigzag, but is easier, so a true zigzag has GOT to be recuperative.
Supra, consider for yourself all your other activities: when I'm doing carpentry all day on some jobs, I sometimes have to skip a workout for an extra day to avoid CNS failure. If you're really stressed, CNS fails faster. If you lack sleep....see what I mean?

Yes good points Quad.
Here is my workout...

1)Deads/Squats on alternate workout days.
2)Bench/Dips alternate
3)Shoulder press
4)Shrug
5)Row/shrug alternate
6)Bi's
7)Tri's

1x15 start 75% to 100% max
2x10 &quot;
3x10 &quot;

It's not your program unless the 3x10's are adding too much work.
Check your diet, of course, and take vitamin/mineral supps.

I'm just going to say two things:

1 - Make sure you are eating above maintenance.

2 - Rest over the weekend, I'm assuming you are doing standard 3 x week, right?

One question you wrote 3 x 10, surely you mean 3 x 5? If this happens during the 5's drop one set on the second week...so do 2 x 5 instead or cluster you reps opr even do 1 x 10 and 2 x 5, up to you!

I am sure that you will be fine once the weekend is over.
wink.gif

Yes I meant 3x5, sorry.
Thanks Quad, I'll consider those things.

So I just keep plowing through the 5's until I can no longer go on?
Thanks,Rob.

Sounds like you're not eating enough.

If you're trying to bulk, there's pretty much no such thing as over training, just undereating and undersleeping.

Eat and sleep more, seriously, you'll find it makes a big difference.

And also multivitamins and omega 3 tablets

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Mar. 14 2007,22:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you're trying to bulk, there's pretty much no such thing as over training, just undereating and undersleeping.</div>
I disagree, sounds like you've been reading Beradi's articles.

There is such thing as overtraining while bulking. I would agree however that doing the 'standard' HST program it is unlikely yet it is a possibilty.

At this point you can drop arm iso's if you're too fatigued, since your program has arm work in it anyway, and just do them once a week. Also, if workout day comes around and you're just sore and still fatigued, you can take another day off; it won't hurt. Like CXW said, the beginning of the fives should be a bit of a break from the heavy tens. It just seems like something else is wrong; you shouldn't be wasted just yet. Not until the end of the cycle, which is after whenever the fives end.
The fives end when you're done in...not gaining strength over a couple workouts or so for most of your exersizes. (not just one)
Or you could say...the fives are the most fun. When you stop having fun, you're done.
wink.gif

I just got done two weeks 5's and I am exhausted, my joints are sore, I just don't want to do to much, including work...

I haven't been sleeping all that well the past week and according to my fiancee, I've been tossing and turning a lot. I even nailed her in the back of the head with my fist and apparently consoled her...but I don't recall that happening. Which brings me to some questions...

I really enjoy doing the 5's, and I feel like I can still add a bit of weight to my lifts over the next couple of weeks.

Is taking a couple of more days off okay to do before I head back to finish the next two weeks?  Or should I just consider my first HST cycle done and start my SD?

If taking a couple of days off is okay, I was wondering if I'm trying to increase the weight, should I decrease my 3 x 5 to 2 x 5 and maybe supplement with a set of 10 at my 10 rep max or something to keep the volume increasing?

Thanks

<div>
(dr_janitor @ Mar. 20 2007,15:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I just got done two weeks 5's and I am exhausted, my joints are sore, I just don't want to do to much, including work...

I haven't been sleeping all that well the past week and according to my fiancee, I've been tossing and turning a lot.  I even nailed her in the back of the head with my fist and apparently consoled her...but I don't recall that happening.  Which brings me to some questions...

I really enjoy doing the 5's, and I feel like I can still add a bit of weight to my lifts over the next couple of weeks.

Is taking a couple of more days off okay to do before I head back to finish the next two weeks?  Or should I just consider my first HST cycle done and start my SD?

If taking a couple of days off is okay, I was wondering if I'm trying to increase the weight, should I decrease my 3 x 5 to 2 x 5 and maybe supplement with a set of 10 at my 10 rep max or something to keep the volume increasing?

Thanks</div>
Wow, from my x-perience, I'd say you're showing all the classic signs of overtraining.  Sleeplessness is first on that list, at least for me, assuming you're not sick or anything.

At this point, I would definitely take a few days off, but instead of working the classic HST routine, I would spend a few weeks working on strength.

If you feel you can add weight, I would make the workouts less frequent (2x/week), and do 2 sets or even 1 set of 5, and continue until your strength plateaus.  

Ordinarily, I think the HST principles mandate you continue the 5's for as long as you can handle them to optimize hypertrophy, and I think you've reached your limit.

That said, you've probably built a whole lot of latent strength, so now might be a good time to drop the volume significantly, and up the poundage until you peak...then decondition.  The less frequent workouts &amp; sets will allow you accomplish this without burning you out.

Slapz

yeah, that said it for me. And you can do 3's if your joints will take the weight. Negatives if you have a partner, and Max Stim if you have the time.

For HST I've been doing:

Squat / Deadlift
Incline Bench Press / Decline Bench Press
Pull ups / Chin ups
Rows
Standing Shoulder Press
Shrugs

I alternate the first three exercises and do the remaining three every time I workout, and I do some arm iso's time permitting.  When I switch to 2x a week, would I do the same?

At this point I shouldn't be to concerned about increasing volume each workout?

Reducing it won't have much of negative impact at this point will it?

I can't remember where I read it, but I think it may have been Fausto who said they were doing a 2x a week HST routine...is it still possible to achieve hypertrophy with two workouts a week?

Thanks again, I definately appreciate you're wealth of information.

Yes it is possible to grow training twice a week. It's definitely a good way to see strength gains as you are allowing more time for your CNS to recover between bouts. However, if your joints are starting to bug you then I would just call it quits now, SD and start over. Why? Well, I don't know if this is your first cycle or not, but if it is, then unless you have been used to low rep, heavy load workouts, your body is going to take some time to adapt to the new stresses. Joints take longer than muscle. I see no sense in making your joints more sore than they already are.

SD will be good for you (even though you won't want to do it!) and then a few weeks of 15s will be just what you need to feel great again.

Starting over seems like the smart option to me. It's not a race after all. You will be back at the 5s soon enough and then you will no doubt find that you can keep them going longer before you run into any joint and/or sleep issues.

If you want to find new 5RMs before you SD (if you haven't pushed up your loads past your previous 5RMs yet) then give yourself an extra day or two for recovery and then go for it. You'll then be able to plan the loads for your next cycle.

Back