Dips

kyleman1

On the standard HST routine, Dips are classified as a chest exercise, which they are. But they are for triceps as well, if not more than chest.

I'm wondering what muscle is exerting the most here. Is it like 20% chest, 75% triceps (with a little shoulders making up that last 5%). Or is it more equal between the 2 groups. Any one have any ideas? Maybe some of you have an EMG handy. lol. Thanks!

-Kyle

I believe it depends on what kind of form you use. Generally if your elbows are flared out and your body is leaning forward, more work will be directed to your chest. If your elbows are more in towards your body and your body is a little more upright, then much more stress goes to the triceps... I believe this is the case, but I'll let someone else confirm this, or give their own two cents...

as www says...

the angle and position of your arms changes the focus from one muscle to the other

1) leaning forward, elbows outside ==> chest
2) straigt, elbows inside ==> triceps

But it remains a great compound exercise.

It could be included in any training, and depending on the form used, be considered as a chest or triceps exercise.

Yeah for chest basically bend your knees, and lean forward. Make your 'center of gravity' be right in line to push from the dip bars at about chest height.

Back