DIY GHR

Discussion in 'Home Exercise Equipment' started by Lol, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd quite fancy making one of these. Think it would be a good investment in time and effort. It's quite a versatile piece of kit too.

Here's the fancy Elite Fitness one:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of a wooden construction.

Anybody built one?

2. faz

faz Active Member

i just lean across two benches and my mate sits on my ankles.

3. quadancer

quadancer New Member

Looks good, although I'm very partial to SLDL's myself. There is an invention called a Reverse Hyper, that is supposed to stretch out the back whilst working the hams, promoting healing and spinal correction.
    I think Louie Simmons invented it. I plan to make one someday.
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/reversehyper.htm

4. Lol

I think I've figured out a good way to build a simple GHR thingy (well, it's not a machine is it?). For best effect, you really need a plate to rest your feet against rather than have them hanging free.

The reverse-hyper apparatus looks quite easy to build too but I think I can make a GHR that will take up less space when not in use.

5. quadancer

quadancer New Member

<div>
    (electric @ Aug. 10 2009,10:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
    (quadancer @ Aug. 09 2009,7:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">http://www.elitefts.com/documents/reversehyper.htm</div>
    I'll DEFINITELY get one of these!
    [​IMG]</div>
    Yeah, I'd have a hard time building that in my shop.
    Then explaining it. [​IMG]

6. the_dark_master

the_dark_master New Member

7. the_dark_master

the_dark_master New Member

main archive
    (from some crossfit thingy, somewhere, sometime...)

8. colby2152

colby2152 New Member

<div>
    (faz @ Jul. 13 2009,5:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i just lean across two benches and my mate sits on my ankles.</div>
    I miss hyper extensions. How do you suppose I could pull that off with one spotter and one adjustable bench (plus chairs if needed)?

9. faz

faz Active Member

<div>
    (colby2152 @ Aug. 19 2009,6:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
    (faz @ Jul. 13 2009,5:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i just lean across two benches and my mate sits on my ankles.</div>
    I miss hyper extensions.  How do you suppose I could pull that off with one spotter and one adjustable bench (plus chairs if needed)?</div>
    try and lodge your heels under something(radiator,chair with weights on etc),and use the bench to support you.

10. BAX67

BAX67 New Member

Here's a real easy reverse hyper attachment for your squat rack.http://www.joeskopec.com/hyper.html

11. Lol

Thanks Bax. Nice simple idea. It just requires a bit of thought to add a foot plate and ankle/leg retainer/rest to work effectively.

12. BAX67

BAX67 New Member

I think what there doing with this is hanging a dumbbell or plates around the ankles and lifting the legs up and down.  If you shorten up the bench a little and make it wider maybe you could use some extra rack pins with foam wrapped around it to support the ankles.  Just a thought.