Dont understand Bryan's routine

I am sorry. Maybe I am just not that bright in bbuilding. A lot of people has told me that Bryan's routine is more aggressive. However, it seems his routine is the same as a normal HST everday routine, except split in half (am and then pm). So whats so aggressive about it? For example he does incline benching in am routine, then dips in pm routine. hence, its two workout for chest and 4 sets, which is normal HST right?

by the way someone told me to do this "-your regular full body workout at one time and then do your other chest-only routine, so you'd be increasing the frequency and getting the summation effect of a chest workout twice a day."

I still think thats overtraining. because usually if you do regular chest workout, you rest for a whole week before you do chest. right?

But you are usually doing your chest workout to failure or close to it. The fact that the load is lower is what prevents you from overtraining.

I dont remember, is Brians routine an AM PM upper lower split? If so and he does that everyday, that is about as 'aggressive' a routine you can get, save AM PM full body and all the little nooks and crannies associated with extreme HST.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xxfunguy007xx2000 @ Aug. 11 2005,2:24)]by the way someone told me to do this "-your regular full body workout at one time and then do your other chest-only routine, so you'd be increasing the frequency and getting the summation effect of a chest workout twice a day."
I still think thats overtraining. because usually if you do regular chest workout, you rest for a whole week before you do chest. right?
you might only do one set in the am and one set in the pm...where in a normal chest workout you might do 5 sets all in one go..so your not overtraining just training more frequently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xxfunguy007xx2000 @ Aug. 11 2005,12:22)]I am sorry. Maybe I am just not that bright in bbuilding. A lot of people has told me that Bryan's routine is more aggressive. However, it seems his routine is the same as a normal HST everday routine, except split in half (am and then pm). So whats so aggressive about it? For example he does incline benching in am routine, then dips in pm routine. hence, its two workout for chest and 4 sets, which is normal HST right?
Hey funguy (sorry for the abreviation),

Right now I'm splitting the body into upper and lower, and training 6 days per week. This is only one way of doing things.

By "aggresive" I think people mean higher in volume. The only way that I have found to realistically increase volume is to hit fewer bodyparts per workout, hence the split.

So let me get this straight.

You train for 3 days, AM and PM. but you only do one set per body part per workout. Basically you split your HST routine in half to AM and PM?

Or you can train for 6 days. just am or pm, but you also split your HST routine in half right?

"if you go to am pm workout you cut everything in half on a regular hst 3 times a week full body correct? "

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I still think thats overtraining. because usually if you do regular chest workout, you rest for a whole week before you do chest. right?
xxfunguy007xx200,
The best thing to do is read the PDF version of the FAQ. I would also read Bryan's entire introduction to HST concepts here: What is HST?
Having read this, you will realize that working a body part only once a week is inferior for hypertrophy compared to working a body part 3 times a week, adjusting volume accordingly. I do not believe one would be doing HST if he only worked a body part once per week--this does not create a muscle building "environment" and instead is only an infrequent, acute assault on the muscle tissue. One of the basic tenets of HST is frequency, as you will see when you read Bryan's introduction.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Aug. 11 2005,1:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (xxfunguy007xx2000 @ Aug. 11 2005,12:22)]I am sorry. Maybe I am just not that bright in bbuilding. A lot of people has told me that Bryan's routine is more aggressive. However, it seems his routine is the same as a normal HST everday routine, except split in half (am and then pm). So whats so aggressive about it? For example he does incline benching in am routine, then dips in pm routine. hence, its two workout for chest and 4 sets, which is normal HST right?
Hey funguy (sorry for the abreviation),
Right now I'm splitting the body into upper and lower, and training 6 days per week. This is only one way of doing things.
By "aggresive" I think people mean higher in volume. The only way that I have found to realistically increase volume is to hit fewer bodyparts per workout, hence the split.
I just started doing this too. Split up my bodyparts, so i'm working out mon - sat. and hitting everything 3x per week. I just got tired of doing the same full body workout Mon - Fri.

Bryan, any insight on whether it's better to do more frequency (say full body mon - sat., 1 set) or volume (3x per week full body, 2 sets), or is it just the same?

Lance

" xxfunguy007xx200,
The best thing to do is read the PDF version of the FAQ. I would also read Bryan's entire introduction to HST concepts here: What is HST?
Having read this, you will realize that working a body part only once a week is inferior for hypertrophy compared to working a body part 3 times a week, adjusting volume accordingly. I do not believe one would be doing HST if he only worked a body part once per week--this does not create a muscle building "environment" and instead is only an infrequent, acute assault on the muscle tissue. One of the basic tenets of HST is frequency, as you will see when you read Bryan's introduction."

I know what HST is, I just want to understand this split and volume adjustment. Also, where is PDF file>?

Back