Effects of Resistance Training

colby2152

Can non-weight baring resistance training such as intense flexing and stretching with bands induce enough stimulus to cause hypertrophy? I have seen previous threads where some of this was debunked, but I think twice after how sore my muscles can be from such activities.

Yes. No. It can be hypertrophic or catabolic depending on your starting condition. For the average person it would likely be hypertrophic. For a serious weight trainer it would likely be catabolic and just one step above total deconditioning. You would fall into the second group Colby. However, it could become hypertrophic for you if it were additive to your weight training.

So many variables and only one life to try them all!    
cool.gif

Well, I am looking for something simple during my week as I use most of my free time to study. I may try and workout once a week until my studying cools down in November.

<div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Aug. 26 2009,10:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Working out once per week worked for me back in the day to maintain size and strength.</div>
Yeah, it's way easier to maintain than to build (assuming you keep your cals up). After warmups, you can probably get away with just one 'heavy'ish work set for each main compound.

Alright, now that I am getting way from the title of this thread; what do you guys think is the best way to do a once per week workout?

I am thinking that it should be near heavy weights in a full-body workout. With that said, I should also have some form of linear progression. The question is do I go with an HST progression of different rep cycles, or an HIT progression with all forms of reps. I think I like HST too much to not do something like that.

I prefer two shorter workouts per week to maintain. Here is a workout that I have used to maintain in the past during extensive business travel with some alternates every other workout:

Mandatory:
Incline Bench Press/Dips
Pull Ups/Chins
Shoulder press/Shrugs
Squat/Deadlift

Optional:
Close Grip BP/Hammer Curls

Two sets each; one at 12 reps at one at 8 reps (or alternate number of reps per workout). Total 8-10 sets. It takes one-half hour twice per week. Quick warm up of pull ups, push ups and bodyweight squats. Very slow tempo to begin with and use light weights (60-70% of max) increasing speed of set as you work the weight up a bit each workout until you reach your max (4-6 weeks) and stay there for about one month at full intensity. Then SD.

Oh yeah. Workout when you can. If it is two days in a row, so be it. If it is only one day, try and double the volume if you can afford an hour. Bodybuilding is not the primary focus in your life right now. Also, with this type of program, supplementing with bodyweight pull ups and elevated push ups can also be beneficial to get the frequency and volume of muscle work up a bit to keep what you have.

Go study!    
cool.gif

Sounds like a plan O &amp; G.

I might even get into that, I need something short and effective, myo-reps seems to work pretty well.

Man...worst thing is motivating myself early in the morning, I have to be done by 6:15 - 6:30 am!
biggrin.gif

It would be very hard for an accomplished lifter to gain on once a week. O&amp;G put it pretty well. I think MyoReps are a great tool too.
As for the OP of this thread, it brings to mind BlowFlex bodies.

I'm very busy too, so go to the gym 3 days per week, pick 2 bodyparts, and work on them with a pretty high intensity level for about 20 minutes.  I train 100% instinct with no game plan whatsoever.  Just do what feels right.  I usually wind up training very heavy, but not always. My diet is total crap, consisting mainly of carbs. I don't count calories, and probably only get about 100-150 grams of protein per day (guessing).  My strength hasn't diminished at all (except in the deadlift, slightly).  Very easy for me to maintain strength as long as I keep up the calories and work out a little.  Unfortunately, I also wind up looking like a giant blob (at 310 lbs).
blush.gif
 It's all about your genetics.  Other guys with fast metabolisms who do things similar to what I'm doing are able to stay slim but their strength and size vanishes.

Back