fat gains only -> flaws in routine??

<div>
(keenef4 @ May 03 2007,18:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">last workout which is the 1st of 5s, i stopped at about 6 or 7 reps. so i guess my estimations are still relatively correct</div>
Are you going almost to failure on every set? On the first workout of 5s your first set should be 5 reps, stopping well before the point of failure. If you're going to the point of near-failure on every set, it's too much.

<div>
(SweetDaddyPatty @ Aug. 13 2007,09:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(keenef4 @ May 03 2007,18:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">last workout which is the 1st of 5s, i stopped at about 6 or 7 reps. so i guess my estimations are still relatively correct</div>
Are you going almost to failure on every set? On the first workout of 5s your first set should be 5 reps, stopping well before the point of failure. If you're going to the point of near-failure on every set, it's too much.</div>
If he can lift the weight, he should do so. From the principles of HST:

===
Progressively Adjusting reps to accommodate Progressive Load
HST suggests that you use 2 week blocks for each rep range. Why? It has nothing to do with adaptation. It is simply a way to accommodate the ever increasing load. Of course, you could adjust your reps every week (e.g. 15,12,10,8,5,etc), but this is more complicated and people might not understand. Often times, in order to communicate an idea you must simplify things, even at the expense of perfection. If people can't understand it, they won't do it. What good would that do or anybody? Then, over time, people figure out for themselves the other possibilities that exist within the principles of hypertrophy.
===

As we can see, the purpose of using 15-10-5 instead of 20-17-15-12-10-8-etc is to simplify the program for wider acceptance. Because of this simplification, we expect the weight to be lighter at the beginning of each rep range. We can lift the lighter weight for more reps accordingly.

<div>
(SweetDaddyPatty @ Aug. 13 2007,08:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
Are you going almost to failure on every set?  On the first workout of 5s your first set should be 5 reps, stopping well before the point of failure.  If you're going to the point of near-failure on every set, it's too much.</div>
Exactly...
smile.gif

I gained 20 lbs lean muscle first couple months. In fact, you can probably find the postings if you search on my nickname.

You ain't doing things right, if you're not getting gains in first full cycle.

One most important thing of all. Make sure you understand this training. Study the articles, everyone of them. Study the FAQ on this boards carefully. You are the only one accountable for your progress. If you don't train with HST properly it doesn't work, of course most other training methods won't work either.

You've gotta use your head as much as your brawn. If you understand the HST you will get gains. Gains that will be consistent.

I was in the gym Friday and a guy that has been working out in the gym walked over to me and said, &quot;Man you are still getting bigger&quot;. He has hardened up with his cardio and social weight training. His size is pretty close to what it was 2 years ago.

Social weight training = Lot's of gab with others and taking too long in workouts.

Don't be discouraged. Make your postings, but when you take the time to put up a long winded posting make sure you've made real efforts to learn the materials provided on this site. Bryan has made extraordinary efforts to put up scholarly articles and plenty of great information, take advantage of it.

Everyone here is rooting for you, but I can't and it doesn't work doesn't get it...

Everybody starts somewhere ---->

i thought this looked familiar.

you guys realize keenef4 post his question on may 3. there was a day or 2 of discussion and then like most threads it just died out. not sure why it was resurrected out of the blue on aug. 11.

either way, im pretty sure keenef4 is still around, now (@ 3 months)would be a good time to evaluate if things are progressing as they should. hope to hear from you.

This post jumped out at me. I read it. Replied then realized that it was from a while ago. That was the resurrection.

I agree that least 50% of the weight gain should be lbm as the study leegee38 had pointed out.

I would very much like keenef4 to post his results on here since his last post. Hope things are looking better!

Just quickly checked using a calculator that uses Weight and waist measurement:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As reported by you

BW:153 latest results after your last measurement
Factor 1 =(BW*1.082)+94.42 = 259.97 (actual result)
Factor 2 =(31*4.15) = 128.65 (W = waist as given by you)
Factor 1 - Factor 2 = 131.32 = Lean weight
Body Weight - Lean Weight = 21.68 = Fat weight
Body fat % = (Fat weight *100)/Body weight = 14.17%</div>

That is slightly different from 18% IMO.

Previous reading was 10.66% BF, lean weight was 132.67 and Fat weight 15.83.

Although the readings show an increase in BF this is not unusual if you start gaining on a bulk cycle, but your lean weight has also increased and this metamorphosis takes longer than 1 cycle that's for sure!

Listen to the recommendations given and...have patience and perserverance!
wink.gif

<div>
(keenef4 @ May 03 2007,21:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In addition, its kind of weird that no body in my gym does barbell squat so when i started do myself, people were like staring at me
laugh.gif
. it makes me nervous and worry if i did something stupid on my form or so</div>
The only thing I can add is that you should take that as something to be thankful for assuming they aren't using the sqaut rack for bicep curls.
mad.gif

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Aug. 12 2007,00:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Keenef4, concerning doing your exercises with a barbell instead of a machine.

Since you are a beginner, you must learn the lifts. So, learn the lifts. Begin with an empty barbell if you must. You can make it a habit of using the empty barbell as a warm-up before you load the bar. Lifting a barbell requires skill just like any other activity. As you progress and with practice, you will be able to lift heavier weights because of greater skill and greater strength.

The squat. The squat is a lift that often serves as a foundation to a program. After the deadlift, it's the most demanding lift and the most stimulating lift. Learn this lift properly. While you're at it, learn the deadlift properly as well. Don't worry about looking like a fool since you say nobody does the squat at your gym. There's a good chance they don't know how a squat must be done anyway.

The military press is also called the overhead press. The push press is an overhead press that is started with a jerk to lift the bar past the sticking point in order to lift a heavier weight than otherwise.

You could check out youtube for video examples of all the lifts you want to learn.</div>
Good tips!
Look, i had the same problam on my first cycle.
This is what i did. I took 10 compounds, 2 for each muscle (legs, chest, back, shoulders and abs) and alternate them. I found my rm5 of each one, and took 14 days sd. On the first training if the second cycle i started from 50% of my rm5, and cluster to 20 reps. I dont think you need more than 20 reps on your first cycles. Every workout add more 5% to the weight, it should look like that : a -50% b-50% a-55% b- 55%....
Also, make sure you eat enough protein, carbs, good oil sources ( including omega3). Make sure your diet contains enough vitamins and that you get enough sleep. Make sure your training dont get over the 90 minutes limit. Eat right after the practice ( protein shake with fast carbs is the best), and one hour after eat again. Do all that and you should see good results pretty fast.

How accurate is that calculator for determining fat% though? It seems like it would be inaccurate if you have a very muscular core yet you are nonetheless pretty ripped...

<div>
(caliballa @ Aug. 14 2007,15:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How accurate is that calculator for determining fat% though? It seems like it would be inaccurate if you have a very muscular core yet you are nonetheless pretty ripped...</div>
According to that calculator I'm around 14% -according to my own &quot;eyeballin' it &quot; assessment , I always say 15-18% ( I prefer to be wrong on the plus side , this way anyones &quot;corrections&quot;/ &quot;opinions&quot; feel like a complement instead of an embarassment.) So IMHO I'd say it's accurate ENOUGH for ballpark assessments. Just my 2 cents...
smile.gif

Back