final draft of my workout

some_guy

heres the final draft of my workout so far. some of the islation exercises im not certain if i'll do 1 or 2 sets. also i will be skipping to the 3rd workout of the 15's and going from there and will not be doin negs, instead i will do an extra week of 5's and just keep(hopefuly) adding weight to where im at then. hopefully i am a little stronger and can add weight to my old 5 rm. i wasnt sure what to do about squats and dead lifts so i figured id try i setof each. maybe i will just switch to alternating between the two.

let me know what you think about the incrementing, thats the main thing i wasnt so sure about. thanks.

c3e6c5736ddbb2c5eea5017b35fcffdb0_full.jpg

i guess my main question is about the increments for my db bench press and raises.  is three workouts with each weight too many?  

also what to do about squats and deads? right now i have it set up to do a set of each. i was gonna alternate between the two but htought maybe it would screw up the progression with the weights but i dont know. ideas?

Guy, I wouldn't worry about the rear delt raises. You have to use such light weights that you cannot always use increments unless you were to buy some small magnetic plates like plate mates. Personally, however, I would drop the rear raises as it is a pretty small muscle and add in another lat exercise, such as pull ups or chin ups. You don't want to short-change the second largest muscle in your muscle. With that addition, you could realistiucally cut your curls down to 1 set as it is pretty easy to overwork a small muscle like the biceps.

I would start the DB presses at a lower weight for the 15's...perhaps 40 pounds. Use a slower tempo and work on perfecting form. For the 10's and 20's you may have to zig zag a little bit or use smaller increments. I don't use the same weight more than twice in any routine. Again, using something like plate mates allows you to keep progressing even when the increment from start to finish in any rep scheme is relatively small. I also find slight incline benches to be superior to flat benches. Slight meaning only a 15 to 30 degreee incline.

I would definitely alternate the squats and deads. Keep the same progression that you have but merely eiminate every other day for each. That means you will effectively be doubling your increments.

I don't think you need upright rows and shoulder presses together. I would dump the uprights as they are hard on the shoulders and maybe substitute trap shrugs for them. A good set of traps are usually one of the first muscles that a person will notice when looking at someone since their natural tendency is to look at a person's face first.

Good luck. You are obviously not new to lifting as your weights are pretty heavy in the 5's. It will be interesting to see how you like HST.

thanks for the input. i think ill wait til next cycle to do the chin's/lat pulldowns. as for the squats and deads issue, how would it be to just do deads everyday? ill probly just alternate like you said, but just wondering if deads work the legs enough or if squats are something i need to keep(im guessing they are). i think ill take your advice on the shrugs instead of the upright rows. one thing about shrugs is i can just do them at the end of my deadlift sets with that same weight and everything so it will be a convienient lift to do. the only reason i was gonna do uprightrows is because i seemed to have good results with them, but now that i think about it its probly cause it was a new lift i had never done before.

cant wait to get going on this workout, its been a while since ive seen and gains worth talking about.

Back