Finished first 2 weeks....confused

seemore

I have just finished my first 2 weeks (the 15's) on my first cycle. I posted my cycle in another thread....

Here are my impressions so far.

I lost an incredible amount of strength SDing, which was quite scarey, but this seems to be coming back rapidly

I have been getting pronounced DOMS, except for my Bi's and Tri's not so much and they are a problem area I'd like targetted. I seem to have lost a bit of size in my arms in the time leading up to my HST and need to work on getting it back.

Legs, back and chest have been getting smashed.

I thought I could see a difference in the mirror and in the tightness of my clothing so I couldn't resist but to jump on the scales, but to my horror found that I had moved from 82.5kg to 81.3kg in 2.5 weeks.....Now I am hoping this was only fat/fluid.

I have been getting a good feeling from the training and I guess there is only my eating to blame. I have been training for over 3 years now and I am pretty anal with eating so I can't understand the loss.

i wouldnt expect massive gains if youve been training for three years already,you proberbly wont notice much in the mirror either.

also 2 weeks into an hst cycle wont produce much especially in the 15's.

but dont get discouraged,see the whole cycle through and then reavaluate.

to help with the weight loss issue we may need to see exactly how you are training,care to post your routine,volume and stats?

my routine

I dropped the french curls and leg press in the end.

And yes I am not expecting outrageous gains, it's just that I lost some weight and that always bombs me out.

your cycle looks fine to me,i cant workout why you lost weight,but my water levels fluctuate badly,sometimes several pounds.keep taking note and see if it evens out.

i think 5lbs -7lbs lean from a cycle is realistic,only the gifted or chemically enhanced can expect 10-20lbs a cycle imo.

so these gains wont make you look that different,they will proberbly go on your core anyway.

keep at it and im sure youll get the results you want
smile.gif

Your "weight" is an average of the last 5-7 days, not what you "weigh" today, for reasons Icars mentioned. I can fluctuate a good 2-3 lbs. any given day from what I was the day before.

Thanks guys, all the advice is appreciated, even if I got 5-6 pounds of LBM I'd be over the moon.

I'm enjoying this type of training much more than usual and I'll definitely stick to it as I am a science nerd and Bryan is as well by the looks of things.

I will keep you posted guys.

Icars: I have to ask if that avatar is actually you and is that natural? What is your training life story?

i have a training log going at the moment.i reached 210lbs naturally and then i did a cycle of testosterone and then a short cycle of nandrolone but havent touched it since,for personal reasons.i actually used the test cycle as a cutter,even though i gained some lbm.test will allow you to cut hard but keep muscle.im about 220lb at the moment around 12%bf,would like to lower that to 10% and keep around 220ish.

ive spent years on and off training,its the past 3-4 years or so ive put most of the effort in.the avy is a recent picture of me,i think like me most people who use themselves in avatars post their best one or most creative at least.

Where is the confusion?

If you lost weight, you didn't eat enough. It won't matter what routine you are following. If you don't eat enough, you won't gain.

I'd be checking out the diet during SD too. You shouldn't lose an enormous amount of strength if you eat at maintenance. You might lose a bit of endurance and tolerance for workload, but not strength, unless you didn't eat enough or ate very little protein. And the endurance should come back very quickly once you get into the 15s.

You're looking for gains in the 15s... LOL

15s have kicked my butt, since I started HST.

I look at the 15s almost as extremely tough cardio, because they take so much outta me. I've seen times I came home after a workout and just collapsed in a chair.

After 15 days SD and then the 15s, whew is all I can say.

Look to get excited when you do all the cycles correctly and you hit the 5s. When I hit the 5s I go up on the weight every single workout. I'm always amazed at the 5s.

I hate the SD...because I know the 15s are going to kick my tail.

So... perk up it'll get better

Mechanical load : that which stimulates growth, growth period lasts about 48 hours
Food : that which allows you to grow, best eaten during rest
Rest : period during which you grow, the 48 hours growth period

In other words, you do not grow during the workout, but between workouts. You do not grow more by working out more, but by eating more.

You say you lost strength during SD. That's a problem. It means you haven't recovered your fitness level but instead you lost some fitness. As you train, you immediately begin to lose maximum potential strength. It is most obvious with 1RM, not so much with lighter weights. As you rest, you immediately begin to recover strength. The more you rest, the more strength you recover. Then comes a point where muscle begins to decondition and lose maximum potential strength. Two weeks is a good rest period to recover maximum potential strength. You say you lost strength instead. That's a problem. You'd normally have recovered your maximum potential strength at the end of those two weeks.

If you had eaten enough to do so.

Without food, the body as a system, begins to slow down its energy consumption. As a direct result of this slow down, strength will drop. Do not starve yourself during the strategic deconditioning period. Even when you're cutting. Otherwise you will lose both size and strength.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You say you lost strength during SD. That's a problem. It means you haven't recovered your fitness level but instead you lost some fitness. As you train, you immediately begin to lose maximum potential strength. It is most obvious with 1RM, not so much with lighter weights. As you rest, you immediately begin to recover strength. The more you rest, the more strength you recover. Then comes a point where muscle begins to decondition and lose maximum potential strength. Two weeks is a good rest period to recover maximum potential strength. You say you lost strength instead. That's a problem. You'd normally have recovered your maximum potential strength at the end of those two weeks.</div>
I'm not saying you are incorrect, as in theory that certainly does make sense.  But from personal experience, I know that no matter how well I rested or ate during SD, I would not be able to put up the same weight the next week I got into the gym.  Maybe I'm weird, but while a few days rest was good during my weightlifting team days (129 lb. weight class lol!)  a week or so would have me weaker at the next meet.  To me, a temporary drop in strength is natural after an extended rest period (week or longer).  

Where I'm getting with that, is to simply say don't worry if you feel a little bit weaker at the moment.  The 10's, and certainly the 5's are where you will pick it back up and hopefully go well beyond where you were before.  Also, other than maybe in my legs, 15's weren't good for size gains either.  As quad and others said, those light weights are perfect for getting that form down... because if it's icky then your body will feel the punishments of bad form later on the cycle.  And although you've already past it, don't go too heavy during the 15's or it could be counter-productive for your form.. like it was for me  
tounge.gif

The best advice I see in this thread is faz's:

&quot;see how much you have increased after the 8wk cycle.&quot;

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 30 2007,12:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You say you lost strength during SD. That's a problem. It means you haven't recovered your fitness level but instead you lost some fitness. As you train, you immediately begin to lose maximum potential strength. It is most obvious with 1RM, not so much with lighter weights. As you rest, you immediately begin to recover strength. The more you rest, the more strength you recover. Then comes a point where muscle begins to decondition and lose maximum potential strength. Two weeks is a good rest period to recover maximum potential strength. You say you lost strength instead. That's a problem. You'd normally have recovered your maximum potential strength at the end of those two weeks.</div>
I'm not saying you are incorrect, as in theory that certainly does make sense. But from personal experience, I know that no matter how well I rested or ate during SD, I would not be able to put up the same weight the next week I got into the gym. Maybe I'm weird, but while a few days rest was good during my weightlifting team days (129 lb. weight class lol!) a week or so would have me weaker at the next meet. To me, a temporary drop in strength is natural after an extended rest period (week or longer).

...[/b]</div>
The OP wrote these:

&quot;Lost an incredible amount of strength&quot;
&quot;gains have stagnated for a while&quot;
&quot;Having done a lot of HIT&quot;
&quot;Which basically means that you are striving for DOMS and a good stretch and to feel your way through the workout and adjust as required.&quot;

But apparently did not take note of this:

(decrease volume if)
&quot;Strength levels are significantly decreasing.&quot;

To me, &quot;lost an incredible amount of strength&quot; and &quot;strength levels are significantly decreasing&quot; are synonymous. Perhaps the OP is doing too much and as a result loses a significant amount of strength. Or, as I speculated, he simply does not eat enough to recover his strength.

He wrote that his transport is a bike. It's mine as well. It takes a lot of energy to ride a bike, especially every day. This energy would otherwise be put toward building muscle or recovering strength. I don't suggest anything like getting rid of the bike, that's ridiculous. Instead, I suggest riding slower to spend less energy. Going twice as fast requires four times as much energy. So, go slower.

A side note on bike riding. When you want to build your glutes and legs and calves, instead of going for long rides, do seated hill climbs for a few minutes every couple of days.

He wrote &quot;even if I got 5-6 pounds of LBM I'd be over the moon.&quot; That tells me his expectations are very low. Perhaps his expectations reflect his current experience with HIT? Or his disbelief at the potential for growth that HST is touting? And as a result, he sticks to HIT methodology while trying to fit them within HST practice? I don't know, I'm just speculating.

I mean to say that misconceptions can cloud our judgment when it comes to our expectations. We all do what we know, the OP knows HIT. I mean to say that the original poster perhaps needs to be pointed in the right direction.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ Jul. 30 2007,15:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He wrote &quot;even if I got 5-6 pounds of LBM I'd be over the moon.&quot; That tells me his expectations are very low. Perhaps his expectations reflect his current experience with HIT?

Or his disbelief at the potential for growth that HST is touting? And as a result, he sticks to HIT methodology while trying to fit them within HST practice? I don't know, I'm just speculating.

I mean to say that misconceptions can cloud our judgment when it comes to our expectations. We all do what we know, the OP knows HIT. I mean to say that the original poster perhaps needs to be pointed in the right direction.</div>
i dont know where you get the idea that his expectations are very low, 5-6lbs lean aint chump change, not after an 8-10 week cycle.

ok new starters make the most gains but still i wouldnt say that was low.id say realistic. however someone in a heavy bulk might put on 10lbs or so but thats not lean body mass alone.

if he manages 5 cycles in a year gaining 6lbs off each thats 30lb in a year that is excellent in my book.

<div>
(lcars @ Jul. 30 2007,15:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Martin Levac @ Jul. 30 2007,15:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He wrote &quot;even if I got 5-6 pounds of LBM I'd be over the moon.&quot; That tells me his expectations are very low. Perhaps his expectations reflect his current experience with HIT?

Or his disbelief at the potential for growth that HST is touting? And as a result, he sticks to HIT methodology while trying to fit them within HST practice? I don't know, I'm just speculating.

I mean to say that misconceptions can cloud our judgment when it comes to our expectations. We all do what we know, the OP knows HIT. I mean to say that the original poster perhaps needs to be pointed in the right direction.</div>
i dont know where you get the idea that his expectations are very low, 5-6lbs lean aint chump change, not after an 8-10 week cycle.

ok new starters make the most gains but still i wouldnt say that was low.id say realistic. however someone in a heavy bulk might put on 10lbs or so but thats not lean body mass alone.

if he manages 5 cycles in a year gaining 6lbs off each thats 30lb in a year that is excellent in my book.</div>
His expectations are indeed low if &quot;he'd be over the moon&quot; with 5-6lbs gain over 8 weeks. It means he expects to gain less than that. He is not a beginner, he's been training for over three years. 30lbs in one year is excellent, but he expects to gain much less than that. If you review his stats, you will conclude as I did, that he is quite capable of growing more than 5-6lbs in 8 weeks. That he expects to gain much less than 5-6lbs is a sign that he does not know the what'when of hypertrophy.

The point is, his expectations are low. Probably due to his current knowledge. Our collective knowledge tells us that he can expect to gain much more. He probably also expects to gain exclusively lean body mass. Or perhaps eats with the intent of gaining only lean body mass. With the presumption that muscle will grow regardless of his caloric intake.

What he wrote suggests that he simply does not eat enough. To recover strength. To gain mass. Perhaps for fear of gaining fat.

Seemore

Looks like Martin may have a good point, even though you say you quite&quot;anal&quot; when it comes to eating but if you're using a bike as a means of transport, you may be riding out plenty calories and then adding the weight training to that you only spending even more.

I suggest you check this out, even though some people thing Berardi is a moron:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Step #1: Resting Metabolic Rate

Resting metabolic rate (RMR) is the energy it costs the body to basically keep alive. This doesn't include the costs of getting your butt out of bed and moving around. Although you might not guess it, about 50 to 70 percent of your entire day's calorie expenditure is a result of the RMR.

Determining RMR:

To start off with, you need to take your body weight in pounds and convert it to kilograms. Just divide your body weight by 2.2.
Next you take your percent of fat and multiply it by your body weight (which is now in kilograms). This will give you your fat mass (FM) in kilograms. Next simply subtract this number from your total weight in kilograms and you'll have your fat free mass (FFM) in kilograms.

Eg: Total body mass in kilograms = 200lbs / 2.2 = 91 kg

Next I'd multiply this kilogram number (91 kg) by my percent of body fat. Remember, percents are really decimals so 5% equals 0.05, 12% bodyfat will be .12 etc.

Fat Mass = 91kg x 0.05 = 4.55kg FM

Next I subtract this fat mass number (4.55 kg) from my total body mass (91kg):

Fat Free Mass = 91kg - 4.55kg = 86.45kg

Therefore my fat free mass is 86.45 kilograms. From that I can determine my RMR. The formula for RMR is as follows:

Resting Metabolic Rate for Athletes (in calories per day) = 500 + 22 x fat free mass (in kilograms).

Again, for me, I'd multiply 22 times my fat free mass and add 500 to that number as shown below:

RMR= 22 x 86.45 + 500 = 2402

Therefore my resting metabolic rate is about 2400 calories per day.

Step #2: Cost of Activity

The Cost of Activity represents how many calories are required to move your butt around during the day. This includes the cost of walking out to your car, scraping the ice off the damn thing, driving to work, pinching the secretary's ass, going to lunch with the boys, and of course, training after work. These factors make up about 20 to 40% of your daily caloric intake based on your activity level.

Determining Activity Costs:

Cost of Daily Activity is equal to the RMR you calculated above multiplied by an activity factor that fits your daily routine. I've listed some common activity factors below.

Activity Factors:

1.2-1.3 for Very Light (bed rest) 1.5-1.6 for Light (office work/watching TV) 1.6-1.7 for Moderate (some activity during day) 1.9-2.1 for Heavy (labour type work)

Note: Don't consider your daily workout when choosing a number. We'll do that later.

With this information we can get back to determining my calorie needs. Since I work at a university, most of my day is pretty sedentary. Even though I run back and forth between the lab and classes, I've selected 1.6 as my activity factor. Therefore the amount of calories it takes to breathe and move around during the day is about 3800 calories as shown below:

RMR x Activity Factor = 2400 calories x 1.6 = 3800 calories

Costs of Exercise Activity:

Next, we need to determine how many calories your exercise activity burns so that we can factor this into the totals. Exercise activity can be calculated simply by multiplying your total body mass in kilograms (as calculated above) by the duration of your exercise (in hours). Then you'd multiply that number by the MET value of exercise as listed below. (MET or metabolic equivalent, is simply a way of expressing the rate of energy expenditure from a given physical activity.)

MET values for common activities:

high impact aerobics... 7 low impact aerobics... 5 high intensity cycling... 12 low intensity cycling... 3 high intensity walking - 6.5 low intensity walking - 2.5 high intensity running... 18 low intensity running... 7 circuit-type training... 8 intense free weight lifting... 6 moderate machine training... 3

So here's the formula:

Cost of Exercise Activity = Body Mass (in kg) x Duration (in hours) x MET value

And here's how I calculate it for myself:

Exercise Expenditure for weights = 6 METS X 91kg x 1.5 hours = 819 calories Exercise Expenditure for cardio = 3 METS X 91 kg x .5 hours = 137 calories

Add these two together and I burn 956 total calories during one of my training sessions.

Since my training includes about 90 minutes of intense free weight training and 30 minutes of low intensity bicycling (four times per week), my exercise energy expenditure might be as high as 1000 calories per training day! The next step is to add this exercise number to the number you generated when multiplying your RMR by your activity factor (3800 calories per day in my case).

So 3800 calories + about 1000 calories = a whopping 4800 calories per day! And we're not done yet!

(Note: I rounded 956 up to 1000 for the sake of simplicity. If you're a thin guy trying to gain muscle, it's better to round up anyway than to round down.)

Step #3: Thermic Effect of Food

TEF is the amount of calories that it takes your body to digest, absorb, and metabolize your ingested food intake. This makes up about 5 to 15% of your total daily calorie expenditure. Since the metabolic rate is elevated via this mechanism 10 to 15% for one to four hours after a meal, the more meals you eat per day, the faster your metabolic rate will be. This is a good thing, though. It's far better to keep the metabolism high and eat above that level, than to allow the metabolism to slow down by eating infrequently.

Protein tends to increase TEF to a rate double that of carbs and almost triple that of fats so that's one of the reasons why I'm a big fan of protein meals.

Determining the Thermic Effect of Food:

To determine the TEF, you need to multiply your original RMR value (2400 in my case) by 0.10 for a moderate protein diet or 0.15 for a high protein diet. So this is what the formula looks like:

TEF = RMR x 0.10 for moderate protein diet (1 gram per pound of bodyweight) TEF = RMR x 0.15 for high protein diet (more than 1 gram per pound of bodyweight)

Since I eat a very high protein diet (about 350 to 400 grams per day), I use the 0.15 factor and my TEF is about 360 calories per day as displayed by the calculation below:

Thermic Effect of Food = 2400 calories x 0.15 = 360 calories per day

Now add that to your calorie total.

Step #4: Adaptive Thermogenesis

I like to call Adaptive Thermogenesis the &quot;X factor&quot; because we just aren't sure how much it can contribute to daily caloric needs. Some have predicted that it can either increase daily needs by 10% or even decrease daily needs by 10%. Because it's still a mystery, we typically don't factor it into the equation.

Just for interest's sake, one factor included in the &quot;X factor&quot; is unconscious or spontaneous activity. Some people, when overfed, get hyper and increase their spontaneous activity and even have been known to be &quot;fidgety.&quot; Others just get sleepy when overfed - obviously the fidgeters will be burning more calories that the sleepy ones.

Other factors include hormone responses to feeding, training, and drugs, hormone sensitivity (insulin, thyroid, etc), stress (dramatically increases metabolic rate) or temperature induced metabolic changes (cold weather induces increased metabolic activity and heat production).

With all that said, you don't need to do any math on this part or fiddle with your calorie total. This is just something to keep in mind.

Step #5: Putting it all together

Okay, so how many damn calories do you need to consume each and every day? Well, adding up RMR plus activity factor (3800 calories in my case), cost of weight training (819 calories), cost of cardio (137 calories), and TEF (360 calories), we get a grand total of about 5116 calories! (Remember, that's just my total. You'll get a different number.)

Now that's a lot of food! And I must eat this each and every day when I want to gain weight. Are you surprised at how many calories I need? Most people are. So the next time you complain that you're &quot;eating all day and can't gain a pound&quot; you'd better realistically evaluate how much you're really eating. If you're not gaining a pound, then you're falling short on calories.

The Secret is in the Surplus!

So at this point, the keen T-mag readers that aren't afraid of massive eating might ask the question, &quot;Since this is technically just your maintenance level, how can you get bigger by eating this amount? Wouldn't you need more?&quot; The answer is simple.

Since I train only four days per week this diet would meet my needs on those four days. But on my three off days per week I'd be in positive calorie balance by about 1,000 calories per day!

(That extra thousand calories isn't being used when training, in other words.) This adds up to a surplus of 3,000 calories per week. And this is where the growth happens!

I especially like this &quot;staggered model&quot; because rather than trying to stagger your calorie intake on a daily basis by eating different amounts of food on different days, I let my training cycle my calories for me.

This way I can eat the same thing every day while preventing my body from adapting to that habitual level of intake. Just like we vary our training to prevent adaptation, prevention of dietary adaptation is one of the secrets to changing your body composition.

Go do the math if you haven't already, figure out how many calories you need, and take some time to compose yourself.

After you've realized that you've been grossly under-eating, start thinking about ways to add calories to your diet.</div>

Regarding my losing strength, it was probably more endurance, I didn't differentiate.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That he expects to gain much less than 5-6lbs is a sign that he does not know the what'when of hypertrophy.

The point is, his expectations are low. Probably due to his current knowledge. </div>

I'm happy with anything in the upward direction. I noticed that trained indivuduals have been reporting 8 pounds, if I got that then great.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He probably also expects to gain exclusively lean body mass. Or perhaps eats with the intent of gaining only lean body mass. With the presumption that muscle will grow regardless of his caloric intake.</div>

I have been eating carbs, haven't cut anything out, but I guess I could go more carbs to be on the safe side.

I've gained a total of 36 pounds over my 3 years, (almost none in the last year), and this was ridign as I always do and I do know how to eat, but I'll up the carbohydrates again.

Thanks for the help, don't want to start fights on here.

i think you could be accused of not eating enough that much is certain.
but low expectations not at all.6lbs lean mass after 8 weeks is great, if you can get more,then good for you.

and as youve gained 36lbs in three years, 30lbs in a year(lean)would be a real plus in my book.

go for it and see what happens
smile.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Jul. 31 2007,03:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Seemore

Looks like Martin may have a good point, even though you say you quite&quot;anal&quot; when it comes to eating but if you're using a bike as a means of transport, you may be riding out plenty calories and then adding the weight training to that you only spending even more.

I suggest you check this out, even though some people thing Berardi is a moron:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Step #1: Resting Metabolic Rate

Resting metabolic rate (RMR) is the energy it costs the body to basically keep alive. This doesn't include the costs of getting your butt out of bed and moving around. Although you might not guess it, about 50 to 70 percent of your entire day's calorie expenditure is a result of the RMR.

Determining RMR:

To start off with, you need to take your body weight in pounds and convert it to kilograms. Just divide your body weight by 2.2.
Next you take your percent of fat and multiply it by your body weight (which is now in kilograms). This will give you your fat mass (FM) in kilograms. Next simply subtract this number from your total weight in kilograms and you'll have your fat free mass (FFM) in kilograms.

Eg: Total body mass in kilograms = 200lbs / 2.2 = 91 kg

Next I'd multiply this kilogram number (91 kg) by my percent of body fat. Remember, percents are really decimals so 5% equals 0.05, 12% bodyfat will be .12 etc.

Fat Mass = 91kg x 0.05 = 4.55kg FM

Next I subtract this fat mass number (4.55 kg) from my total body mass (91kg):

Fat Free Mass = 91kg - 4.55kg = 86.45kg

Therefore my fat free mass is 86.45 kilograms. From that I can determine my RMR. The formula for RMR is as follows:

Resting Metabolic Rate for Athletes (in calories per day) = 500 + 22 x fat free mass (in kilograms).

Again, for me, I'd multiply 22 times my fat free mass and add 500 to that number as shown below:

RMR= 22 x 86.45 + 500 = 2402

Therefore my resting metabolic rate is about 2400 calories per day.

Step #2: Cost of Activity

The Cost of Activity represents how many calories are required to move your butt around during the day. This includes the cost of walking out to your car, scraping the ice off the damn thing, driving to work, pinching the secretary's ass, going to lunch with the boys, and of course, training after work. These factors make up about 20 to 40% of your daily caloric intake based on your activity level.

Determining Activity Costs:

Cost of Daily Activity is equal to the RMR you calculated above multiplied by an activity factor that fits your daily routine. I've listed some common activity factors below.

Activity Factors:

1.2-1.3 for Very Light (bed rest) 1.5-1.6 for Light (office work/watching TV) 1.6-1.7 for Moderate (some activity during day) 1.9-2.1 for Heavy (labour type work)

Note: Don't consider your daily workout when choosing a number. We'll do that later.

With this information we can get back to determining my calorie needs. Since I work at a university, most of my day is pretty sedentary. Even though I run back and forth between the lab and classes, I've selected 1.6 as my activity factor. Therefore the amount of calories it takes to breathe and move around during the day is about 3800 calories as shown below:

RMR x Activity Factor = 2400 calories x 1.6 = 3800 calories

Costs of Exercise Activity:

Next, we need to determine how many calories your exercise activity burns so that we can factor this into the totals. Exercise activity can be calculated simply by multiplying your total body mass in kilograms (as calculated above) by the duration of your exercise (in hours). Then you'd multiply that number by the MET value of exercise as listed below. (MET or metabolic equivalent, is simply a way of expressing the rate of energy expenditure from a given physical activity.)

MET values for common activities:

high impact aerobics... 7 low impact aerobics... 5 high intensity cycling... 12 low intensity cycling... 3 high intensity walking - 6.5 low intensity walking - 2.5 high intensity running... 18 low intensity running... 7 circuit-type training... 8 intense free weight lifting... 6 moderate machine training... 3

So here's the formula:

Cost of Exercise Activity = Body Mass (in kg) x Duration (in hours) x MET value

And here's how I calculate it for myself:

Exercise Expenditure for weights = 6 METS X 91kg x 1.5 hours = 819 calories Exercise Expenditure for cardio = 3 METS X 91 kg x .5 hours = 137 calories

Add these two together and I burn 956 total calories during one of my training sessions.

Since my training includes about 90 minutes of intense free weight training and 30 minutes of low intensity bicycling (four times per week), my exercise energy expenditure might be as high as 1000 calories per training day! The next step is to add this exercise number to the number you generated when multiplying your RMR by your activity factor (3800 calories per day in my case).

So 3800 calories + about 1000 calories = a whopping 4800 calories per day! And we're not done yet!

(Note: I rounded 956 up to 1000 for the sake of simplicity. If you're a thin guy trying to gain muscle, it's better to round up anyway than to round down.)

Step #3: Thermic Effect of Food

TEF is the amount of calories that it takes your body to digest, absorb, and metabolize your ingested food intake. This makes up about 5 to 15% of your total daily calorie expenditure. Since the metabolic rate is elevated via this mechanism 10 to 15% for one to four hours after a meal, the more meals you eat per day, the faster your metabolic rate will be. This is a good thing, though. It's far better to keep the metabolism high and eat above that level, than to allow the metabolism to slow down by eating infrequently.

Protein tends to increase TEF to a rate double that of carbs and almost triple that of fats so that's one of the reasons why I'm a big fan of protein meals.

Determining the Thermic Effect of Food:

To determine the TEF, you need to multiply your original RMR value (2400 in my case) by 0.10 for a moderate protein diet or 0.15 for a high protein diet. So this is what the formula looks like:

TEF = RMR x 0.10 for moderate protein diet (1 gram per pound of bodyweight) TEF = RMR x 0.15 for high protein diet (more than 1 gram per pound of bodyweight)

Since I eat a very high protein diet (about 350 to 400 grams per day), I use the 0.15 factor and my TEF is about 360 calories per day as displayed by the calculation below:

Thermic Effect of Food = 2400 calories x 0.15 = 360 calories per day

Now add that to your calorie total.

Step #4: Adaptive Thermogenesis

I like to call Adaptive Thermogenesis the &quot;X factor&quot; because we just aren't sure how much it can contribute to daily caloric needs. Some have predicted that it can either increase daily needs by 10% or even decrease daily needs by 10%. Because it's still a mystery, we typically don't factor it into the equation.

Just for interest's sake, one factor included in the &quot;X factor&quot; is unconscious or spontaneous activity. Some people, when overfed, get hyper and increase their spontaneous activity and even have been known to be &quot;fidgety.&quot; Others just get sleepy when overfed - obviously the fidgeters will be burning more calories that the sleepy ones.

Other factors include hormone responses to feeding, training, and drugs, hormone sensitivity (insulin, thyroid, etc), stress (dramatically increases metabolic rate) or temperature induced metabolic changes (cold weather induces increased metabolic activity and heat production).

With all that said, you don't need to do any math on this part or fiddle with your calorie total. This is just something to keep in mind.

Step #5: Putting it all together

Okay, so how many damn calories do you need to consume each and every day? Well, adding up RMR plus activity factor (3800 calories in my case), cost of weight training (819 calories), cost of cardio (137 calories), and TEF (360 calories), we get a grand total of about 5116 calories! (Remember, that's just my total. You'll get a different number.)

Now that's a lot of food! And I must eat this each and every day when I want to gain weight. Are you surprised at how many calories I need? Most people are. So the next time you complain that you're &quot;eating all day and can't gain a pound&quot; you'd better realistically evaluate how much you're really eating. If you're not gaining a pound, then you're falling short on calories.

The Secret is in the Surplus!

So at this point, the keen T-mag readers that aren't afraid of massive eating might ask the question, &quot;Since this is technically just your maintenance level, how can you get bigger by eating this amount? Wouldn't you need more?&quot; The answer is simple.

Since I train only four days per week this diet would meet my needs on those four days. But on my three off days per week I'd be in positive calorie balance by about 1,000 calories per day!

(That extra thousand calories isn't being used when training, in other words.) This adds up to a surplus of 3,000 calories per week. And this is where the growth happens!

I especially like this &quot;staggered model&quot; because rather than trying to stagger your calorie intake on a daily basis by eating different amounts of food on different days, I let my training cycle my calories for me.

This way I can eat the same thing every day while preventing my body from adapting to that habitual level of intake. Just like we vary our training to prevent adaptation, prevention of dietary adaptation is one of the secrets to changing your body composition.

Go do the math if you haven't already, figure out how many calories you need, and take some time to compose yourself.

After you've realized that you've been grossly under-eating, start thinking about ways to add calories to your diet.</div></div>
thats a good read fausto.

i would subsribe to most of it.but as you know the more you become accustomed to an exercise or workload the more efficient your body becomes at a that task and thus uses less callories to perform a specific workload.

my job for instance.after carefully working out loads lifted,weights moved etc my callorie expenditure should be around 4000-5000cals over an 8 hour period.

this would hold true for a new starter to the job as they struggle like hell at first but after a few weeks and even months the job becomes easier(and i use that term)loosely).

so my callorie intake should require me to replace the callories burned plus the rest of my day.id need around 7-8k
rock.gif
.i have about 3k to 4k max,anymore and i gain fat.

its sometimes difficult to nail it right on the head so callories have to be factored individually and through experience(knowledge of ones body).although handy reference guides like the above can give you a ballpark to aim for.
smile.gif

Back