First Cycle

Since I never cut, I guess I don't have to really think about these issues. I "kind of" agree with Tot on the strength issue but am not totally convinced. Hopefully my metabolism will stay such that I never have to delve into this mystery too deeply.
biggrin.gif

Trying to keep my first routine simple, maybe I need to remove some of the excercises from my first go around.
Squats
Straight Leg Calf Raises
DB Bench Press
Dips
Lat Pulldowns (15s portion)
Chins (10s and 5s)
Standing Shoulder Press
Ez Bar Curls
Shrugs
Skullcrushers/Close Grip Bench Press(Skulls run into CG for one set)
Weighted Decline Crunches
From the list, I can get rid of DB Bench Press, Lat Pulldowns, and straight Leg Calf Raises? And also would it be better to have an A/B split or just save that for next cycle.

Hey man I missed the part about you cutting when I responded the first time, thought you were bulking sorry.

Tot's advice, as always, is dead on, don't use strict HST for cutting, focus more on maintaining strength and minimising muscle loss for when you go back to bulking (or maintaining) after a successful cut, and use cardio to burn calories.

Therefore the basic compound movements with heavy weights will be fine, no need for calve raises/shrugs/arm isos until you want to make them grow. They won't grow on a calorie deficit anyway. I'm not sure if people have tried HST with cutting, but I'm fairly sure just stick to heavy weights and try to maintain strength/muscle.

Totentanz, any advice on what weight to use (% of 5RM)?

Cardio means you can eat more and still lose weight, as well as speeding up your metabolism and post-exercise calorie burning. Dieting to calorie deficit will leave your stomach mighty sore and empty.

Back