first day of first cycle

atxfitgal

Ok, so just got back from my fastest trip to the gym ever. Are the first few weeks of 15's supposed to be stupid-easy? I have to admit I was a little embarassed lifting so light and so quickly. I'm extra sensitive because everyone already thinks women don't lift heavy enough, and there I am (a personal trainer, no less) doing 5lb biceps curls!

I'm sure it'll get harder, but I just needed a sanity check from you guys.

thanks!
steph

I like to keep the starting weight in any rep range no less than 60 to 70% of my rep max. Anything less than that doesn't seem to be very effective. I also use a slower tempo during the first week of a rep range to get more out of it.

After reviewing your website (http://www.kingivfitness.com/aboutus/StephaniePugh.php), I think it would be interesting to get your nutritional input on a discussion we are currently having in the diet forum at Click Here

How about paying us a visit there Steph?
happy.gif

These are my oppinions: Yes the begining of doing 15's is easy, but if you found out your 15,10,and 5 rep max's by the time you get to it on your 6th workout you'll be having a hard time! Also I agree with old n grey about doing your reps slow and deliberate. Also don't worry about what others think of your weight useage, because if you follow the system to the T, others are going to want to follow your routine because of the results that will take place! I did 1 cycle so far and started my second. In ALL my years (26) of working out I NEVER did this type of routine and now I am hooked! I'm 50 and I got still got results. 5'9'' 195lbs.

I was under the impression that it was supposed to be your 15 rep max

I could not image that someones 15 rep max would be 5 pounds?

I am also on 15's and i am going heavy as i can for 15 on the first set.

Keypo, I'm not sure I understand you right. You are starting out at the beginning of the two week block of 15s using less than your 15 RM, right? And you are incrementing by 5-10lbs (or whatever increment you are using) each workout until you work up to your 15 RM at the end of the two weeks, correct? If not, then you may want to reread the FAQs for HST.

I felt my first workout on the 15 rep cycle. I just used 5 pound increments and I was very pleased. Maybe your max is inaccurate or your increments are too big?

The beginning of the 15's will be light for some, especially those who trained for a number of years.

What it boils down to is the effectiveness of your SD, for those who have been working out for a while a longer SD period may be the answer.

Another option is to not do the 15's and jump straight into the 10's, only picking up the 15's every now and again when you feel overuse strain creeping up.

Either case the optimum is to get as big of a difference from your starting weight to your end weight.

Ok, I think I'm on the right track. My legs got a decent pump, but my upper body didn't really feel much.

I'm very sure that 25lbs is my 15 rep max for biceps, and that's pushing it a little.

Can someone explain what to do if you have a relatively low max and use biggish increments and end up with 0's in some columns? Is that ok (i.e. skip that workout for that bodypart), or does that mean you have to use smaller increments?

Thanks y'all!

0's in some columns mean that you should repeat the same weight from your previous workout (thus 0 increment), not entirely skip working out that bodypart. Alternatively you could use smaller increments so that there are no 0's, as you mentioned. Personally I feel that it is no big deal if you just repeat the same weight twice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (9to5lifter @ June 21 2005,2:50)]Personally I feel that it is no big deal if you just repeat the same weight twice.
I agree, that would be beter than working out with 0 weight.

In Stephanie's case on the Bicep curl, a way to keep it from getting to zero would be to take 60% of the 25Lbs, 15 lbs (starting weight) then divide the difference by 6 or whatever increments used.

Although this makes for smaller increments, 1.6 lbs, it would still be better than working out with 0.

Stephanie, if you have adjustable ankle/wrist weights you can use these for the smaller increments, if you don't have micro weights.

Optionally, you could duplicate the workouts and use 3.2 Lbs increments. (better stimulus in my mind).

Steph,

I always use the light weight of the 15s to focus on form and do fairly slow, perfect reps. Slowing down and squeezing the contractions tends to make me feel the workout more. In fact, I'm always glad to get to the 10s and start accelerating the weight more because those 15s can get tough! I think you will be fine ... Good luck!

Lee

Yes make sure like O&G said 60-70% of 15RM to start and a good starting weight is around 50% of 5RM, for arms I am at 40%. But the most important aspect of doing your 15's would be TUT not doing less than 30sec reps ideally up to 40secs.

Other options:
Just do one week of 15's instead of 2 weeks.
or
Dont use isolation movements like bicep curls for the first week of 15's, or during the 15's at all, unless you need the lactic acid for joint issues.

Back