First week of 5s. Where to from here?

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_dman65
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_dman65

I have seen some posts indicating that some are continuing 5s past the two week period indicated by the "Official HST Method" article.

I am wondering how you go about continuing the 5s and maintaining the progressive loading principle.

On your third week of 5s do you go back to the weight that you were using on the first week and work back up? That doesn't seem to make much sense, but if you are already at your max at the end of the second week I don't know how you go up from there and continue the progression.

This is my first time using HST and while I have done some weight training since my teenage years off and on I am by no means a bodybuilder. I am a bit confused between reading the "Official HST Method" and what I see in forum posts.

I had assumed you did the same number of sets whether you were in the 15, 10, or 5 phase from the official method, but from reading posts it seems you double on 10s and triple on 5s. Just a little lost.

Hey dman65! Good to have you here on the forum. Let me see if I can't clear some things up for you.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have seen some posts indicating that some are continuing 5s past the two week period indicated by the &quot;Official HST Method&quot; article.

I am wondering how you go about continuing the 5s and maintaining the progressive loading principle.</div>

It is nearly always helpful to continue to use your 5RM weight for 2 or 3 weeks past the last day of your 5RM block. Though the weight will not increase during this period, the absolute weight that you will likely be using is heavy enough to elicit a good response for several weeks.

Those who wish to continue increasing the load are advised to use eccentric sets using their 2RM for sets of 5-8 for a couple weeks.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This is my first time using HST and while I have done some weight training since my teenage years off and on I am by no means a bodybuilder. I am a bit confused between reading the &quot;Official HST Method&quot; and what I see in forum posts.</div>

The official HST method is based on HST principles. The principles don't change although the method may, given that it remains true to the principles. The method outlined on this site is the easiest way for the greatest number of people to apply HST principles.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I had assumed you did the same number of sets whether you were in the 15, 10, or 5 phase from the official method, but from reading posts it seems you double on 10s and triple on 5s. Just a little lost.</div>

Because increasing &quot;load&quot; is the primary goal of HST training methods, other variables are generally held constant. So, if we are doing 15 reps per exercise during the 15 rep block, it would be logical to expose the tissue to a consistent number of reps (a.k.a. time under load) as we increase the weight from block to block. So during the 10s, one might do a set of 10s followed by a set of 5. During the 5s one would do 3 sets of 5.

Nevertheless, there is a correlation between load and time under load. Basically (i.e. there are exceptions) as the load goes up, the requirement for time under that load goes down.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

-bryan

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. That does clear things up.

Thank You,

Daryl

Welcome dman65! Bryan has answered your questions but I thought I would just add that if you haven't read the extensive FAQs it would be a really good idea to do so. Many, many quaestions are answered there which will help you through subsequent (productive) cycles. All the best.

HST FAQs

Back