Fish Oil vs. Flax Oil

jacobp

I've just started using Flax Oil. I use 2 tablespoons mixed in with my cereal in the morning.

I just read the thread on fish oil and it appears that you can get that in capsule form.

Since flax oil tastes so bad and is a bit of a pain to use, I was wondering if the fish oil capsules are better than flax oil?

By the way, is 2 tbspns. of flax oil enough per day?? I weigh 170 lbs and I am 5' 11".

Thanks.

I try to get at least 80 grams of fat a day. My food has next to no fat in it so I take at least 5 tablespoons of flax a day. To know if two tablespoons of flax a day is good then you need to figure out how many calories you want to take in a day, then you decide what percentage of carbs, fat, and protein you want. and then do some simple math. I am probably going to get some fish oil also and use both of them as I've read something about flax causing an imbalance since it has such a high amount of omega 3 compared to the other two omega's. And fish oil has some other things that are beneficial.

Oh and for taste just put a tablespoon in a small bit of milk and chug it down. You barely taste it. I tried to put some flax in my oatmeal one time and it was sickening. I would also evenly space out your flax instead of putting it all in one meal, no real reason for that suggestion just seems better to even stuff out. All my meals have the same, well pretty close, amount of carbs, protein, and fat.

According to Bryan, caffeine interferes with the conversion of flax oil to EPA.  Since I can't seem to cut out caffeine entirely (#### cola addict), I've switched to fish oil.

Here's what Bryan said (back on the old ThinkMuscle board)...
Here is somethign nobody will tell you (or knows). Consuming caffeine while taking flax oil will prevent the flax from converting into EPA (problem at delta-6 desaturase). If you are using caffeine (eg. w/ephedrine, coffee, colas, etc) take fish oil instead. I will insert a diagram below to demonstrate how caffeine inhibits flax from becoming the desired EPA.

I attached the diagram...

I use both to cover all the bases. I also put walnuts in my morning oatmeal.   I mix a Tbsp of flax in with my cottage cheese and salsa so you can't taste it at all.  I also take around 6-10g of fish oil caps a day.  I get around 90-100g of fat in my diet a day.

Here's another hint, flax oil mixes very well with HSN Driver.  You don't even know it's there especially if you use skim milk.  Great before bed.

Steve

the omega-3 in fish oil is long-chain (EPA and DHA) which is the form your body uses and what you're trying to get from these oils in the first place. The omega-3 in flaxseed oil is short-chain (ALA) and your body has to process it into a long-chain before it can be used. Fish oil saves your body from having to expend any resources in converting.

Or another way, other animals (fish) have eaten the plants (algae) containing short-chain omega-3 and done the converting for you

Thanks to all of you for such terrific responses. Looks like I'll switch to fish oil as I do drink one or two cups of coffee. Thanks again.

I might just add to Hankters post that the conversion is less too. IOW, you need more flax to get the same amount of EPA as from fish oil. I think it is about 10 times more.

Flax is a waste of time IMO. Too much n-6 not nearly enough n-3 (after conversion to EPA) Most people get more than enough n-6 from the diet.

You can actually be very specific WRT individual n-6/n-3 intake. Sears has a very effective list of things to look out for based on condotion of hair/nails/skin/stools/appetite/allergies etc. I find whenever these things go out of whack changing the ratio of 6/3s is nothung short of miraculous.

Siffice to say, saying flax or any 'special' blend has the correct ratio of EFAs is a crock.

Since no one has mentioned it, sardines have around one gram of Omega 3 per can, some protein and are dirty cheap.

Also, cod liver oil is another way of satisfying part of your EFA's needs, just don't go overboard on this one.

It seems a good choice to dump my Udo's choice oil blend now. everyone agree???

Are there any differences between GNC's Fish Oils and GNC's Salmon Oils?

I checked the label and both have the same amount of EPA/DHA. But the Salmon Oil is slightly more expensive. Why?

Or am i using the wrong standard to compare? (EPA/DHA)

Conventional wisdom has suggested that you make sure that the fish oil you take is moleculary distilled. I don't know if GNC's is. I take NOW Foods Fish Oil capsules (Omega-3). It is molecularly distilled, is very cheap and I have no fish burps or any other annoying side effect that others have commented upon.

Thanks jacobp.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It seems a good choice to dump my Udo's choice oil blend now. everyone agree???

Are there any differences between GNC's Fish Oils and GNC's Salmon Oils?

I checked the label and both have the same amount of EPA/DHA. But the Salmon Oil is slightly more expensive. Why?

Or am i using the wrong standard to compare? (EPA/DHA)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Anymore opinions??

Back