flat or incline chest press

When comparing flat or incline press, there was a past topic demontrating that using a slight incline (one or maybe two notches) is optimal for growth.

It had something to do with androgen receptors in the shoulder girdle.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I do 1 set flat, then incline the bench to the first notch (~ 15-20 degrees), and do an incline BP. That's the same weight. Naturally, on my max flat bench, I can't do an incline BP.</div>
There's your answer. The flat bench in general allows you to use more weight. The difference in load between the two largely depends on the angle of the incline. If you use a slightly incline bench, your max weight should be fairly close to your flat bench max.

Hope this helps,
Dimitris

My incline max is lower than my flat bench max.

I measured my incline last night. One &quot;notch&quot; on my bench is 30 degrees.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jul. 27 2006,10:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Drill another hole.</div>
I finished that cycle with the 30 degree incline. My chest grew 3/4&quot; (I also did dips) and my shoulder measurement (also doing military press) went up 2 inches!!

I have modified the bench to a 15 degree incline. Maybe now my chest will increase a little more, even if the shoulders don't increase so much.

Back