Frequency Vs Recovery

Last winter I had great success with an HST program I designed based on things I read on this site. I want to try switching things up a bit this time though.

The main thing I want to change is the frequency/split. Last year I did full body AM/PM, one day on, one day off. This was based on reading examples of Bryan's routines, and trying to maximize the summation effect, while getting a day of rest to avoid overuse injury.

This time I would like to try going 6 days on, one day off. Still hitting same body parts twice each day for summation, but alternating between push one day, and pull the next. I figure the pull muscles can get their rest on the pull days and vice versa.

This will allow for shorter, but more frequent sessions.

Any flaws in my thinking?

I've never understood the basis of push-pull as a split. It just makes no sense to me, personally. But go for if you find it gets you results.

It's just another way to devide muscle groups. The same reason you would do an upper/lower split. I'd be curious to hear more about why you don't like them.

To me there is very little difference except that:

Upper/lower is very definitive.

Push/pull is less definitive. For example, is a regular deadlift a pull or a push exercise? Actually it is both.

Does it make a huge difference? No.

My split is a combo:

Chest, tris, shoulders
Back, bis, legs.

My goal is to hammer like muscles all at one time. Some people do the opposite and work, for instance back/chest, tris/bis, etc. to minimize time in the gym by super setting opposing muscles. For me, it is just personal preference. Others have rabid opinions about what order to do things in. The end result is probably very similar if not the same.

Back