Frequency

Mr Anabolic

I'm a newbie to this board and HST. However, I have been training 20 years.

I'm reading that some guys here train 6x per week. I thought the protocol was 1 on, 1 off? I'm 39 and training my whole body 3 days per week, 1 on, 1 off. I'm currently in my second week of 15's.

Doesn't training 6x per week make you tired? Maybe there are a lot of younglings on this board.

o yes i believe there are several of us :D . 6x a week makes us tired too, but by pulling my own conclusions from the advice i'm given, its a pretty good idea to keep the 6x a week training out of the 15s because of CNS frying, but when you get into the late 5s and negatives, i think it is safe to up the frequency because the higher load/lower reps doesn't fatigue the CNS as much as the 15s. This being said, i think it's a good idea to up the frequency in this period like many of the experts recommend high frequency workouts being 2 a days or 1a day 6days a week to provide efficient use of calories. =) hope that wasn't too jumbled up, i'm in the middle of doing physic C homework while posting
tounge.gif

pzhang

Mr A, I've gone as high as 12 workouts per week and lived through it and I was your age 21 years ago. You just have to make sure you eat enough and eat often.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ June 02 2005,9:02)]Mr A, I've gone as high as 12 workouts per week and lived through it and I was your age 21 years ago. You just have to make sure you eat enough and eat often.
Thanks Old and grey. I eat 6 times per day.

You must have a lot of free time on your hands to be able to hit the gym 12x per week. I have a couple questions for you:

1. How much did you grow doing this?
2. Do you take every set to failure?
3. Do you get sore?
4. Did you work out 12 times a week during the 15s, 10s or 5s?

Thanks.

Mr. A,

I retired 5 years ago, more or less, and train horses at my home now so I have a lot of time. I have a pretty good home gym so I have no travel time to contend with. It makes the twice per day schedule a lot easier that way. I could never have done that when I was a corporate slave.

1. I don't take many measurements anymore. I just go by the mirror and bf% so I can't give you a precise answer. However, I can tell you that with 2 1/2 years of HST style training I have gone from 170 at 18% bf to 185 at 9% bf at 5'8". Chest is 47" and waist is still 32" so my overall HST results were very encouraging, esp. for someone who a lot of people think is too old to still make significant body and strength changes.

2. I only take the last set of any rep scheme to 'failure' and for me that means I stop when I cannot complete another rep in perfect form without compromising my intended tempo.

3. I rarely get DOMS. Perhaps after a 2 week SD period and then only for a couple of days.

4. Yes, I did 12 times per week (6 days at twice per day) for all rep schemes. However, it was a bit taxing with the 15's and I am not sure that there is a real benefit to it at high reps.

O & G
sleeping.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ June 02 2005,2:30)]2. I only take the last set of any rep scheme to 'failure' and for me that means I stop when I cannot complete another rep in perfect form without compromising my intended tempo.
By "last set" do you mean only during the session when you reach your RM or during all sessions including when you are still incrementing toward your RM?

Back