fullbody workout article

<div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Sep. 20 2006,10:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes, bodybuilders are strong, and yes, lifters have big muscles.  However, there are certainly lifters who are stronger than, say, Ronnie Coleman, but have significantly smaller muscles.  If the difference is not in the amount of sarcoplasmic v sarcomere hypertrophy, are we to conclude that it's in relative amounts of type I v type II hypertrophy?  If not that, then I have to conclude that Ronnie should be stronger, not weaker.  If the strength differential is all CNS, then to be a champion lifter (ignoring weight class limits) one should train as a bodybuilder, and get as big as possible.  Then, just try to maintain size while switching to more frequent low rep heavy work to develop CNS efficiency.</div>
Dr. Franco Columbo, one of the best built men I have ever seen, actually was a power/olympic lifter who switched to bodybuilding. He thus became one of the strongest bodybuilders ever.

<div>
(leegee38 @ Sep. 20 2006,13:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Who are these people?  I want names!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Specific names I couldn't give, but check out the weight limited classes of any powerlifting comp and you'll see guys lifting ridiculous weights relative to their body weight/size.

<div>
(leegee38 @ Sep. 20 2006,12:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lifting N Tx @ Sep. 20 2006,10:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yes, bodybuilders are strong, and yes, lifters have big muscles. However, there are certainly lifters who are stronger than, say, Ronnie Coleman, but have significantly smaller muscles. </div>

Who are these people? I want names!
biggrin.gif
</div>
Sorry, missed this plus my employer has the unreasonable attitude that I should accomplish some work during my work day
wink.gif

One example which I've seen around is, I believe, from the legendary &quot;John Smith&quot; about how to do &quot;JS&quot; rows. You can find it here:

in the post by Karl Maskes at 01:50 AM, if you search you can probably find the original post on another board. Anyway, here is a small quote:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I did rows with Coleman once, actually, and I was far stronger than he was. He could not do more than 350lbs strictly although he could do over 500lbs by standing almost all the way up at the completion of each rep. Ed Coan is probably the strongest person on these, although one power-lifter I trained did manage 525 for a double done strictly.</div>

Not that 350 is anything to be ashamed of, but over 500 is amazing. I'm pretty sure that neither of those guys are as big as Ronnie.

Edit: The quote appears to be from a post on Meso-Rx's bodybuilding training forum - Topic #7 (post 6) here .

This brings to mind when I was watching last years Strongman or maybe the year before, anyway Mariusz Pudzianowski , was up against this huge and I mean huge lifter, much bigger than Mariusz, in the deadlift thing they do. This big ole boy got up and hammered out the first 5 or 6 quite easily but then it went down hill fast. Mariusz hit em all with what seemed ease.

This guy
479225776OhtEmm_th.jpg

So Mariusz, a BB who should have had greater endurance because of the methods of workouts he used (higher reps) beat him, but standing side by side this other guy was larger and probably on a 1RM lift could lift more that Mariusz.

So back to the fiber size debate, we can see that pure size and strength are different than strength endurance and it comes down to training specificity.

actually Dan
Mariusz was never BBer
he used to be kickboxer and rugby player
he started to lift weights by inspiration from his father former lifter

he always was used to big weights

as far as I remember

but he always looses to Savickas at Arnie

<div>
(ZMT @ Sep. 21 2006,08:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">actually Dan
Mariusz was never BBer
he used to be kickboxer and rugby player
he started to lift weights by inspiration from his father former lifter

he always was used to big weights

as far as I remember

but he always looses to Savickas at Arnie</div>
That is probably true you'd know better than me, but the workout vids I've seen he used several sets (4 or 5) of 6-8, a more BB type routine than a OL or PL.

had to see his video once again
biggrin.gif

don't think he really goes too close to 1 RM
he do not need to
and there is always issue of injury

I thought BB style is ~20 sets with 15 reps
laugh.gif

and don't forget his special SM training
he has lot of staff in his home and he uses it very well
BTW in China there are right now World Chamionships
Mariusz is leading
biggrin.gif

Polish Power
biggrin.gif

Photo Gallery from there

Yestarday I saw an interview with Mariusz and

I didn't know that Mariusz was 4 time Poland bench champion starting at age of 16
wow.gif

It just makes me wonder...if you did a routine that incorporated both low and high reps with HST, what would that do? I bet this has been suggested before, but I couldn't find it.
Say you did a minimum of total exersizes, but used a high rep set as a warmup for a 5 rep set for each exersize, progressing each workout. Wouldn't that tend to strengthen and grow both types of muscles simultaneously? My weight progression runs pretty much straight up anyway when switching rep ranges, so it wouldn't be any different on the progression. So it would just be one rep range...15 and 5's.

I thought it might be a nice change, unless there's something I'm missing.

<div>
(quadancer @ Sep. 23 2006,00:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It just makes me wonder...if you did a routine that incorporated both low and high reps with HST, what would that do? I bet this has been suggested before, but I couldn't find it.
Say you did a minimum of total exersizes, but used a high rep set as a warmup for a 5 rep set for each exersize, progressing each workout. Wouldn't that tend to strengthen and grow both types of muscles simultaneously? My weight progression runs pretty much straight up anyway when switching rep ranges, so it wouldn't be any different on the progression. So it would just be one rep range...15 and 5's.

I thought it might be a nice change, unless there's something I'm missing.</div>
quad in HST you start with 15s and end up with 5s so you are doing high and low reps.
dont go of what maruizs does remember he is on gear
rock.gif

Back